Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo #1 over all in gbnreport 2009 draft re-do

theboomking

Congrats to Orakpo; however, I don't understand how Stafford falls 16 spots to the Jets, while Sanchez rises up 1 spot to Seattle. Sanchez's numbers were almost identical to Stafford's, but Sanchez had a great team around him while Detroit had one of the worst teams supporting him.

Congrats to Orakpo; however, I don't understand how Stafford falls 16 spots to the Jets, while Sanchez rises up 1 spot to Seattle. Sanchez's numbers were almost identical to Stafford's, but Sanchez had a great team around him while Detroit had one of the worst teams supporting him.

I'm with you. I don't get this at all. Stafford strikes me still as the pretty clear #1 QB in the draft.

And that would still be a position of need for Detroit if they had not drafted him.

Is a franchise DE > franchise QB? :whoknows:

I'm with you. I don't get this at all. Stafford strikes me still as the pretty clear #1 QB in the draft.

And that would still be a position of need for Detroit if they had not drafted him.

Is a franchise DE > franchise QB? :whoknows:

Yeah I really don't see why Stafford would fall that far. He showed that he has the ability to be a good QB in the NFL. He just has a crappy surrounding cast. I think Sanchez would be the one to fall, not Stafford. Sanchez didn't have much to do at all with the Jets getting as far as they did. Had he landed on almost any other team and started right away it would have quite possibly been a complete disaster. He was a bottom of the barrel QB this year, but he was on a team with a great OL, dominant running game and dominant defense. That is how they got into the playoffs. Sanchez would have fallen because teams would see that he would need an elite supporting cast or would have to sit at least a year until he was ready for the NFL game.

Most on the board wanted the Redskins to take Orakpo, Oher or Sanchez.

They comprised 3 of the top four slots.

Nice to see we know better then the professionals!

:ols: That is funny. Maybe we should just vote on draft picks from now on. Apparently a consensus of "US" is awesome. I guess Bradford, or whatever OL we all get excited about before the draft, is going to be amazing, since that seems to be the consensus around here.

so the colts and lions drafted 3 first round caliber guys last year. i didn't follow any of those guys to agree or disagree, but assuming this article is somewhat valid, that's pretty impressive. and the colts did it with a 3rd, 4th, and undrafted free agent.

I hope he spends this offseason learning how to use leverage on running plays so he can be a three down lineman. Then he'll be downright terrifying

Well if the Skins run this hybrid 3-4, I can see him spending more time standing up and rushing the edge from a standing position, rather than putting his hands in the dirt and getting after the QB.

Bushwack, I'm kind of on the fence about the 3-4. I think you need too many things to go right for it to be effective, although Orakpo could flourish in a role like Porter or Ware's. A hybrid might be okay though, although you'd have to pick your spots on when to use it. Either way I think Rak would be the biggest beneficiary, whether it be the 4-3 or a hybrid. Good draft pick!

Well if the Skins run this hybrid 3-4, I can see him spending more time standing up and rushing the edge from a standing position, rather than putting his hands in the dirt and getting after the QB.

I take the 3-4 as good news for Orakpo. We'll have DE's occupying the OT's and Rak will get a lot of chances against TE's and RB's. I'd look for him to put up roided merriman/ware numbers over the next few years.

Detroit and Indy did make out with their picks. I'm surfing on my phone and didn't get to look at the list that carefully. I find the Detroit picks more impressive though. It's much easier to he successful with Peyton Manning and the Indy culture.

I think the QB's are below rak on the list simply because Boone has any idea yet whether they will be true franchise signal callers. Orakpo seems like a sure thing.

The Great Blue North does not qualify as a legitimate source for NFL analysis, making this thread pretty useless.

Really? I find their stuff about as good as most second tier sites. "expert analysis" s generally overrated anyway. Is Gbn's opinion any less valid than pasquerelli et all?

Archived