Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

At what point do you think we will draft a RB?

abdcskins

I don't know about you guys, but I think it is pretty clear that we need a young talented quick RB. Even if we do keep Portis, it would be nice to have someone fight him for a starting job. I liked what I saw from Quinton Ganther(I think some of our best runs all year were with him back there) and that is precisely the type of RB I think we need; quick with good vision. But I hardly think he is the answer.

There are plenty of other needs, but I think RB should be addressed at some point during the draft. Maybe not the second round but at least the fourth(wish we had our 3rd rounder but Jarmon was taken). What do you guys think?

I'd be fine with a RB in this draft, but it really depends on what we do with our first round pick. If we are able to trade back and get a couple extra picks, then sure, take a RB in the 2nd or 3rd (if we get one), but our priority should be OL and QB, IMO.

Oh I forgot about Aldridge. He could be a beast in Shanny's run game. :D

Shanny's gonna see what he has and then sort things out next year. He knows what Portis "can" do, but will see whats left in the tank. He's seen Ganther show flashes here and will see how he fits the new system.

As far as the other 3, he was very high on them but didn't get to see what he had because of the injuries in 2008 and getting fired after the season. He was very high on Aldridge so much so that he recommended him to us. Ryan Torain was rumored as the potential starter in Denver before he got hurt and is currently a FA. Hillis was very productive in the system and can probably be had for cheap. He shows the potential to be FB for a long time, provide a great RB for passing sets, and has the potential to be the featured back.

No need to draft a guy this year. That said, even though we need OL, I would be happy to see Jahvid Best in burgundy and gold. Also, if Joe McKnight is on the board in the 4th, we have to take him.

2011. Portis, Ganther, Aldridge this year. Maybe Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis (:fingersx:) too.

To be quite honest I don't even think I saw Alridge play so I have no idea what kind of game he has. He is kinda young(26) as doesn't turn 27 until late November. Torain is young(23) and talented but he tore his ACL last year. Don't think he will be ready for this year.

I like your idea about Joe McKnight too. I've seen him play a lot out here in LA and he has great speed. Don't know if he will last until the 4th but if by some miracle he does then for sure pick him.

Either a late (6/7) round pick this year, or a mid (4/5) round pick next year. Shanny may want to see what he has in Alridge and any FA/UDFA option before he invests anything in the position with the shortest lifespan in the NFL.

Plus the running game has been pushed aside for the most part in the NFL. Look at this years Super Bowl for example. It's hard to put a lot into a guy and position that is slowly being unused.

Fourth or fifth round probably. If we're keeping Portis and some combination of Betts (I think hes gone), Ganther, and Alridge we aren't really looking for a 'feature back.' What we're looking for is a guy to run in a rotation or act as a third down back so they should be readily available in the later rounds. In 2011 I wouldn't be surprised to see a RB selected in the first three rounds though.

We shouldn't draft a RB unless he can be a full time KR/PR. We have a head coach and running back coach who can create a top 10 rushing attack with voodoo. Bring in Peyton Hillis, try to get another 4th rounder, and go for Joe McKnight. Under NO circumstances should we draft a RB with our top pick, or even our 2nd pick.

I wouldn't draft one. I'd pickup a undrafted project guy and send him to the PS. Then, grab a free agent who is either unrestricted or one that gets cast-off because of his contract hit. You'd have Portis (still undecided), Ganther, Aldridge, veteran player-X and PS guy.

Torain is young(23) and talented but he tore his ACL last year. Don't think he will be ready for this year.

He tore that ACL in 2008. McDaniels came in and brought in Buckhalter, Lamont Jordan and JJ Arrington. So they reached an injury settlement with him last August. He was out of football last year. So don't be surprised to see us sign him for the cheap.

Also to respond to some of the other comments, I'd only be ok with us taking a running back in the 2nd if Spiller magically falls or we take Jahvid Best. I think either one has rookie of the year potential. I could see them playing a Percy Harvin all-purpose type of role. I actually like Best for us better because he runs tough inside, is a great receiver and has some return experience. We would could see instant returns if Best came in and improved our rushing, passing and special teams. But, I would wait until next year.

I'd get Toby Gerheardt from Stanford. I know he is not fast but he is a way better powerback than any RB on the team. He reminds me of John Riggins. I call him "Bio-Diesel"

I think he definitely has talent but he also is definitely not much of a "one cut and go" type ZBS back. More of a right up the middle power back.

I wouldn't be upset if we took a guy in the second or fourth round. But I want them to be able to be a KR/PR also.

Agreed...we need someone returning kicks to add some spark to the team. Doesn't have to be a running back for me, but we need to find someone. Thomas was starting to look better towards the end of the year there though.

Archived