Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: After it was sold for drug money, lawyer retrieved Dexter Manley's Super Bowl ring

ACW

Glad I got to read this. I have a lot of great memories of him abusing opposing offenses. I have always like DM and rooted for him over the years to win his battles with illiteracy and drugs. I would always get made fun of for liking him, but didn't care. I an glad he is/has overcome his demons and his ring back.

Very good... Had never seen Manley play (only 23 years old) so I went and watched some clips. What a beast.

Glad he got his ring back, it is kinda crazy how a piece of jewelery can be such a factor in someones sense of self-worth....

Manley trudged through the convention center in South Florida here Thursday among other former NFL gladiators, their gnarled fingers poking through large pieces of ornate gold. The gaudy rings, they tell themselves, make up for the limps and the arthritic hips and the surgeries.

Kinda sad.

I'm amazed it sat at a pawn shop for a year. I'm glad it was eventually returned to him but can you imagine seeing an authentic Redskins SB ring at a pawn shop? I'd sell everything I owned so I could buy it on the spot.

You may well get your chance. I'd suggest everyone who lives in the PG area keep their eyes open at various pawn shops for Dexter's ring.

Sadly, this is a common story among athletes with substance abuse problems. My father was good friends with Don Newcombe - former pitcher for the Brooklyn Dodgers. Newcombe was the first black pitcher in the majors and won the Cy Young, ROY, and the MVP awards before drinking his way out of the majors. After losing everything, Newcombe sold his trophies for booze. This was the last straw for one of Newcombe's closest friends - Sammy Davis Jr.. Sammy got Don Newcombe help and bought back his trophies and world series ring. Don has lived a sober life ever since and worked in structured settlements as a consultant.

Hope Dexter enjoys the longterm success in his effort to beat his addiction that Don Newcombe has had. Substance abuse is a terrible problem that many never recover from.

I met Dexter with my family during a lunch in wheaton AFTER he was done eating. The man was a class act and took a picture with my daughter. His wife was a very nice/classy woman. I lock up these dealers everyday. Remember, the players are human like you and me, but with money for the scum on this earth to pray upon and take their money through weakness. Dexter Manley played hard for all of us and we should be proud. Thanks Dex~

Archived