Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:Portis says he expects to return to Redskins and to be healthy

authentic

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/mike-shanahan/portis-says-he-expects-to-retu.html#comments

Clinton Portis spoke to Rick Maese after finishing an ESPN2 interview today in South Florida. Dan Steinberg will have the details of the ESPN comments after he finishes chatting and Rick will have a post for you on his interview later.

Quickly, here are Maese's Twitter headlines from his one-on-one: Portis definitely expects to be back with the Redskins and to be fully healthy, although he has not yet been cleared medically after suffering a concussion. He says he feels good and is excited about the Redskins' coaching changes. He said nice things about Jim Zorn and Stump Mitchell but loves Mike Shanahan and Bobby Turner.

So, Portis has changed his mind from when he left Denver and said that Shanahan had failed to 'treat him like a man' and re-negotiate his contract (?) :)

Poor Clinton. He goes on TV or the radio and says the 'right' thing politically but then assumes that his own words from past months or years that go in contrast to his current rhetoric will be ignored by the media and fans as 'irrelevant'.

Move on please. I want this guy off the team and start over at the RB position. He's a cancer and I think his best days are behind him. But if Clinton does return , he better practice and stop criticizing teammates and coaches. I want guys like London Fletcher and you notice how Fletch has rubbed off on Orakpo, I'm not sure Portis is one of those guys

IF we go un-capped, it'd be to our detriment to not cut, or at the very least severely restructure, the burden of his contract whilst we have the free chance IMHO.

Clinton, though always hard working on the field and invaluable to us during his time here; has never been an upper echelon back in this league and he's FAR from that now.

Hail.

Yes, if he is ready to come back, he should be ready to renegotiate his contract to minimize the damage to the team in later years, and he should also participate in the off-season programs in stead of going to Miami as he does every year.

Then I'd gladly have him back.

Let's hope not.

2,000 from Chris Johnson meant nothing for their team.

I believe Shanahan is smart enough to know this is a passing league now.

Seems to me that 2,000 yards means 2,000 yards. If you take away those yards and turn them into 1,500 yards in the air, do they become more meaningful?

So, Portis has changed his mind from when he left Denver and said that Shanahan had failed to 'treat him like a man' and re-negotiate his contract (?) :)

From everything I've read, Shanahan basically just told him that if he wanted to be the highest paid RB, it wasnt going to be in Denver so Shanahan gave him the option to stay or be traded. He chose to be traded. Who wouldnt??

I dont see how that is not treating him like a man...

That would explain the Jets beating the Chargers and making it to the Championship game, right?

Jets defense, holding the Chargers to almost no points, would explain that.

Chris Johnson?

Jones-Drew?

Frank Gore?

Who cares? No team that is still suck in the 80s, and who runs their offense through one running back does anything.

NO! NO! NO! I have seen enough of his act. I couldn't be more over him!

LMAO Here are the things I want to see out of portis:

1. I want to see a healthy, clean bill of health portis.

2. I want to see him at the weight he was at denver before he lost a step

3. I want to see him participate in all offseason workouts and activities.

4. I want to see the hunger he had to win.

When portis first got here he wanted the big payday but he also wanted the football. He was lightning fast at the weight he was until gibbs turned him into a power back and made him gain weight. Now when he was in denver shanny handled portis with no problem and I dont think he will have a problem this time around. Everyone says that, well he got rid of portis before why not now. well shanny believes that running backs come a dime a dozen so why not pick up draft picks and a shut down corner. So it would not shock me if portis is back and better than every.

LMAO Here are the things I want to see out of portis:

1. I want to see a healthy, clean bill of health portis.

2. I want to see him at the weight he was at denver before he lost a step

3. I want to see him participate in all offseason workouts and activities.

4. I want to see the hunger he had to win.

When portis first got here he wanted the big payday but he also wanted the football. He was lightning fast at the weight he was until gibbs turned him into a power back and made him gain weight. Now when he was in denver shanny handled portis with no problem and I dont think he will have a problem this time around. Everyone says that, well he got rid of portis before why not now. well shanny believes that running backs come a dime a dozen so why not pick up draft picks and a shut down corner. So it would not shock me if portis is back and better than every.

Uhh if Shanny thinks running backs are a dime a dozen, why would he want to keep Portis? That makes no sense. Get one who is younger, with no drama, and some speed. Oh, and pay them cheap. You just killed your own argument.

The intriguing line is that he "loves" Shanahan and Turner.

I wonder if he's just buttering them up or has he actually been given some indications that he is in fact in their plans for the upcoming season.

Anyway, I'll support the coaches with whatever decision they make but I would prefer to see Clinton back and hopefully in vintage form with an actual NFL worthy offensive line blocking for him.

Archived