Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your most memorable Redskins Super Bowl Play

fuji869

The Riggins run is probably the most famous play in Redskins' history.

One play that sticks out for some reason is the Gouveia interception against the Bills when Washington was up 17-0 and there was some idea that Jim Kelly and Buffalo might get back into the game after the half. That INT and resulting TD effectively ended the game right there.

The Riggins run is probably the most famous play in Redskins' history.

One play that sticks out for some reason is the Gouveia interception against the Bills when Washington was up 17-0 and there was some idea that Jim Kelly and Buffalo might get back into the game after the half. That INT and resulting TD effectively ended the game right there.

That's funny, I was just about to say the same thing about the Gouveia interception right at the start of the second half. That's the play (for me) that sticks out in that Super Bowl.

I think the Squirek interception in Super Bowl 18 probably rounds out the top 3 for me (memorable, not necessarily enjoyable).

At my age, it has to be the play in the OP...that sparked the most entertaining quarter of football I've ever watched. However, I would have to say that the Riggins run on 4th and 1 is the most significant play in Redskin history (in the Super Bowl era).

Edit: Read my sig if you want to see which play is my all-time favorite/most memorable. It's Al Michaels' call of that play! It's etched in my memory.

The Riggo 4th down run is obviously the defining moment for any true Skins fan. Unfortunately I was a little too young to remember that play. My most memorable SB moment would have to be when Williams returned from his sprained ankle in the second quarter of SB XXII. Even though it wasn't actually a "play" I remember feeling the whole attitude of that game shift at that moment. It was as if everyone watching and even the guys on the field knew that the Skins were going to win from that point on. Denver proved it by laying down and taking a beating. That still gives me goose bumps when I think about it. HAIL!

I just googled "greatest play in superbowl history"

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=greatest+play+in+suberbowl+history&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=&oq=greatest+play+in+suberbowl+history&fp=435311d5ec9ae78f

First link:

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story?id=09000d5d8068bd17&template=with-video&confirm=true

I've been to every Super Bowl and I've seen all the big plays dozens of times in slow motion and from every possible angle. Prior to Sunday, I would have ranked the greatest plays as follows:

One, John Riggins' 43-yard touchdown run in Super Bowl XVII. It was the game-winning score and it came on a fourth-and-one call. It is one of the classic shots in the NFL Films library; Riggins, all power and purpose, shaking off the last Miami tackler and thundering down the sideline.

/thread

Hard to argue against Riggo's run, but I have two personal favourites.

One from a man who turned into a complete deuch, but boy did he have his day in the sun first; and one from a living LEGEND!

One play that counted on the way to a rookie breaking a SB record; and one that become the first in SB history to get overturned on replay.

First, the legit one. Timmy Smith's 58 yrd. run against the Broncos that put us up two scores in "The Quarter." On Gibbs signature play. The counter trey, with great pulling blocks from McKenzie and Jake Jacoby springing him for the first of two TD's in a record setting 204 yrd. rushing performance. As Frank so aptly asked, after he'd hardly played that year prior to surprisingly starting the show, "Holy cow say the Broncos. WHO is that kid?" And then it went all down hill in a cocaine fuelled haze from there.

Pretty apt he finished as a Cowboy with what went up his nose.

The second was a play that never counted against the Bills, but came from a childhood favourite and one of this franchises, nay LEAGUES, all time greats, Art Monk.

Nothing spectacular about it, just a sweetly thrown 4 yrd half fade pass if you can imagine from Ryp to cap a drive on which #81 had accounted for 79 of our 87 yards, to open the scoring. But for the first time in SB history, it got overturned on instant replay, rightly, as his toe was out of the back of the end zone.

Just graits as he never got into the EZ in any of his 3 SB appearances.

Hail.

Archived