Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our RBs

Tom-SkinsFan

A lot of people here don't want a running back by committee type of scenario for our offense.

With the type of offense that SOS wants to run and the caliber of running backs that we have, that might be just the thing to do.

Here's why I say that. In SOS's schemes there are many occasions where the play calls for four receivers. A running back might be lined up as one of those receivers. That plays well for Canidate. We are also at times going to run into those type of defensive lines that are very strong and fast. Throwing out into the flat could prove to be more dificult in this case. This is where we need a strong back to hit hole very quickly and punch through for those 1 - 4 yards that can be so important at times. That plays very well into Bett's or Watson's skills.

While I do think that we probably have one too many backs, which would probably mean that we will lose Watson or Betts, using different backs to accomplish different tasks that cater nicely to their skill sets might not be a bad idea.

Thoughts?

I agree, but I hope we keep all 4 backs simply because none of our RBs has been tested thru an entire season, and Canidate has a rep for being fragile. If we let Watson go (who has more career yards than anyone else) I think we'll regret it. Think about '88 when we bet the season on Doug Williams and Timmy Smith. Neither one survived the year giving Gibbs his only year with a losing record.

I think you're right and I don't really see this year featuring one RB. You know Trung will get touches and it looks like Morton will too. I also have a hard time believing that Betts and Watson will be on the bench all year. I don't really see any other way to enter this season. Now, if by week 8, Trung is unreal and the others have disappointed, then we might see a shift. But from the get-go I think we'll see 3 ball-carriers per game.

Riggo-toni, which four are you talking about. I assume Canidate, Betts, Watson and Morton.

But let's not forget about Gillespie who did pretty well in NFL Europe.

Bryan Johnson, who's a heck of a blocker and IMO can be used as a TE.

McCullough, who has shown the coaching staff some positive things.

and last but certainly not least, the Rock, who is a heftier Joe Washington type back, is very versitile and has shown a hell of a lot of heart. Not to mention the fact that if SOS were to let him go, Blondie would kick his ass!

Yes, those 4. Guess i shoulda been more specific - 4 tailbacks. I wasn't counting Rock and Johnson because they're fullbacks. I think acquiring Morton pretty much spells the end for Gillespie. Sultan's best chance of making the team would be as a punt returner

Archived