Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN/Boston: Samuel sees parallel in Wilfork case

RemoveSnyder

Updated: January 29, 2010, 2:58 PM ET

Samuel sees parallel in Wilfork case

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4868868

__

Former New England cornerback Asante Samuel had some words of advice for nose tackle Vince Wilfork on Friday as Wilfork waits to see what his future holds with the Patriots:

"I don't think they care about you, in my opinion," Samuel told the Boston Globe from Miami, where he was practicing with the NFC Pro Bowl team. "They didn't care about me. So do what's best for you and your family."

Having just finished playing the final season of his six-year rookie contract, Wilfork is looking for a long-term deal and a big payday. The Patriots could throw a wrench in the works by placing the franchise tag on him.

On Wednesday, Wilfork said he would consider it a "slap in the face" if the Patriots placed the franchise tag on him.

I'm not a follower of the Patroits organization, but why the hell don't the pay their talent?? I thought they were crazy to let Assante Samuel getaway. It will be interesting if they " franchise Wilfork ", to see how he responds. Or if they let Wilfork walk. They need all the HELP they can get on D.

I'm not a follower of the Patroits organization, but why the hell don't the pay their talent?? I thought they were crazy to let Assante Samuel getaway. It will be interesting if they " franchise Wilfork ", to see how he responds. Or if they let Wilfork walk. They need all the HELP they can get on D.

Well, I think the problem is they fell in love with the "Patriot Way" which, I concede, has made them competitive but I believe they would have won the SB again if they had invested a bit more in keeping the Samuels or Seymours.

When you hit on certain moves, like letting certain wideouts leave or letting Branch go, it's not too bad (though they needed to hustle to get some quality wideouts to reach full potential.) But whereas they had high quality but aging defensive players before, they simply don't have the defensive leadership they once did. But they seem convinced that simply by following the same path, they'll find it again.

Personally I'm hoping they let Wilfork walk

That was the first thought to cross my mind.

__

To me (at least), he would undoubtedly receive many a call from interested teams, IF he were to hit the open market as an Unrestricted Free Agent. A sought after commodity.

However, cue skyrocketing contract negotiations, if UFA. But one never really knows, I guess.

But, a certain peace of mind comes, to know that M.S. spent time last off-season around both NE, PIT & AZ.

I would be very curious to know how M.S. and Haslett would grade Wilfork vs. Hampton, in suspended observation. Or, (just the same), how they would grade those two vs. possible players from the draft.

But I've countered most of my enthusiasm concerning Wilfork, with the historical precedent the Pats have shown, to value picks above all else.

That may be slightly exaggerated for effect. But with all things being equal, they have shown the door to aging vets, before. And/or traded seemingly productive players in order to obtain additional draft selections.

Seemingly, they would be the kind of organization to hold a player ransom for picks. Or more to the point, from my perspective, NE does not often give something up without getting something in return.

With that in mind, one might playful entertain the thought that NE might Franchise Wilfork only to just turn around and shop him to a team desperate enough to give up picks (and Franchise money), in order to gain rights to Wilfork.

In that scenario, I would presume the Redskins, more or less, are out of the equation. (At least) I would hope that would be the case.

__

But like you said, coming full circle, it would be nice if NE let Wilfork walk. If only because that would seemingly eliminate the necessity of using a draft pick toward that end.

Personally I'm hoping they let Wilfork walk he'd be a great NT to pick up if we do switch to the 3-4. Him at NT with Big Al at DE would be a great D-Line.

My god, that would be a ridiculous combination.

I want us to focus on the draft and spend less in FA .. but .. uncapped yeeearrr ... :D

My god, that would be a ridiculous combination.

I want us to focus on the draft and spend less in FA .. but .. uncapped yeeearrr ... :D

Well even though it's an uncapped year we still have to give him a fair salary or just front load the contract because when the caps back in place we'll be back in that infamous 'Redskins cap hell' that everyone talks about.

Well even though it's an uncapped year we still have to give him a fair salary or just front load the contract because when the caps back in place we'll be back in that infamous 'Redskins cap hell' that everyone talks about.

The one that we are never in, but everybody continues to mention?

Say what you want about Danny, this is one area the man knows how to excel in.

The one that we are never in, but everybody continues to mention?

Say what you want about Danny, this is one area the man knows how to excel in.

Yep that one. Last year when we signed Big Al everyone said 'Skins are screwed they'll be in cap hell in 2 years but like you said Danny is good at keeping us under the cap.

Archived