Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

History Of ExtremeSkins

Question, as a mod or staff member of the board, is that your job? I mean that as a full-time, paying position, or is it something you generously volunteer your time to?

It's a non-monetary compensation form of payback for past sins against humanity.

I remember when I 1st got a PC and I did a search for the "redskins" and clicked on extremeskins.com it became the only site I would visit. I USED TO GET MY INFO FROM THE WASHINGTONPOST site. Not no more.

My how time flies. :dallasuck

Yup, I was a west coaster reading WaPO for news and talking to a few guys in their little sports board when I started lurking here in 2003 and reading the news section. By '04 I was so addicted to bubbba's tireless efforts posting all the redskins news I ever dreamed of, and loved reading the corps group of solid posters that I joined (and I never was a guy to do chat, any instant messenger stuff, or hang out on other boards of any kind). A year later they asked me to be a mod and now I know the truth is it was because they hated me.

Edited by Jumbo

My story - I had been on the Redskins newsgroup since '99, lurked here once in a blue moon in '03 and '04. Finally registered in March '05 only because I wanted to access the database to look up some jersey numbers. I had no intention of hanging out here. Get the database info I need and book. That was my plan.

But it sucked me in.

DH - I already have some of that stuff in the OP that I added this morning. :)

Some I don't though.

And check out the graphics on this bad boy from Oct 2003: http://web.archive.org/web/20031020103842/http://www.extremeskins.com/

Would Bang have done that? It has a Bang look about it.

THANKS

Edited by Mark The Homer

Some I don't though.

THANKS

And for the record..... thanks for finishing this project. I had so many on the go at any given time..... it's easy to see how this project could consume one's life. And my attention span limit is at about 5 years.... then I like to move onto something new :)

My dream when I left.... was that I hoped that the staff would care as much for the site as I did.... that they would take ownership in the project... and take it above and beyond where I did. That's how I made peace with the decision.

ES.com was such a huge endeavor... it simply couldn't have been done by 1 person. And when you take on a project on this magnitude... you don't think about the logistics.

But to be a huge success.... takes a lot of money... and a lot of help.

Some I don't though.

And check out the graphics on this bad boy: http://web.archive.org/web/20031020103842/http://www.extremeskins.com/

THANKS

And the "Pick'em Contest" and "The Man" contest.... both popular contests which were eventually automated.

So many great features.... so much blood, sweat, tears... so much useful code.... gone to rest into the internet wasteland.

Sad reminder.

It's been my pleasure. It was fun!

And thank YOU. :)

And to be fully thorough, the story wouldn't be complete without the backstory behind the official ExtremeSkins tailgate.... for which you need to speak with Pez/Huly. I think that's an important part of the site history.

I still recall the time my then-girlfriend (now wife) and I bumped into Blade and Die Hard at the stadium store at FedEx, back when I was a new member of this site. I think I was even wearing my Extremeskins t-shirt at the time! It was very exciting to meet the guys who were responsible for the site.

This must have been back in 2002-- Spurrier's first season in DC. I came on board here right about when Spurrier was hired--around the time all the "GatorSkins" fans became members of Extremeskins. How excited they were to have a chance to root for their Gator heroes in the NFL. :) Interesting time that was here on ES.

Anyway, Mark, nice job--thanks for putting this together. One of the downsides of the explosion of the site is the lack of touch so many have with the "homey" feel of the old days, and also the lack of knowledge of the contributions of so many who helped make this site what it is. I wonder how many here know that back in the day, the members would voluntarily contribute money to help the mods keep the site up.

But change is a part of life, and through many changes, this site has remained a great place.

I have witnessed a great deal, been confided in a great deal, and accumulated (saved) extensive data (much of it quite salacious, provocative, and downright “OMG”, involving many “big names”) for an insider tell-all that I will release when I am done on ES. :silly: :evilg: :D

I believe everything but salacious!

promise to publish your "Game Change"?....:laugh:

I have witnessed a great deal, been confided in a great deal, and accumulated (saved) extensive data (much of it quite salacious, provocative, and downright “OMG”, involving many “big names”) for an insider tell-all that I will release when I am done on ES. :silly: :evilg: :D

Fortunately, Jumbo joined the staff AFTER I left :)

But I don't live with regrets.... and I stand by anything I've ever said and done.

Mark, thanks for putting this together. I was there with Die Hard and Art at the TSN boards and joined Extremeskins, as member #33 I think, after receiving an invite from Die Hard.

I knew some of the history but not the technical stuff or all of the blood, sweat and tears that went into it. Hail to Tony, Eric and all the other guys who have kept it going. Talk about a Labor of Love....

I still have all of my Extremeskins gear. I'll have to dig out my pic of me in my Extremeskins tee and cap next to the Cog Train on the summit of Pikes Peak in February of 2008. I think it was about 30 below up there that day. Cold as all get out but I had to represent. :D

Edited by Jimbo