Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

History Of ExtremeSkins

Nice read Mark... It was always about the articles for me... I had been on the Wash Post board for a while before I joined in 03... It was hard to leave that site because it was because we were like a family over there... But this site was just clearly better graphics and it was a lot easier to find articles...

Another major ExtremeSkins project was the Game/Player database, an idea which gained considerable strength with the installment of the new, versatile vBulletin. Blade, Die Hard, and Tarhog dreamed this up between themselves, and the three of them moved forward. They aspired to develop a database which held details from all the Redskins games going back as far as possible, so that intimate statistics of any game could be brought up instantly with an easy search. They also wanted their database to hold the name and complete biography of every player who had ever worn a Redskins uniform going back to 1932.

They began by acquiring old game programs from everywhere they could think of. They then manually entered statistical data from each game and detailed biographies of each and every player. One by one, the bio of each player was painstakingly poked in with a keyboard. The search routine, which would access the database, was written from scratch by Blade. It took months of tedious labor by all three of them before the task was written, tested, de-bugged, tested again, and finally implemented into the site.

When finished, the database and search function as a whole was truly one-of-a-kind. There was no other Redskins database anywhere in the world that had this database's thoroughness and versatility. For example, if an ExtremeSkins member wanted to know all the players who wore #43 between 1932 and 2004, all that would need to be done was to select "43" from the drop-down menu and press the search key. The database would then produce a list of players names who had ever worn #43. A simple click on a given name, of course, would bring to the screen all details of that specific player, including full name, seasons played, position, height, weight, birth date, birth place, high school, and college. The amount of data available and the ease of access coupled with the versatility was unprecedented.

I miss the database. It was great. Where did all that data go?

Edited by China

There's tons of little details I am missing and that I'll add - the reason I put this up today is because it's been in the planning stages for SIX YEARS - :doh:

So you were planning this for a year before you even joined the site?

This site sucks. If it were'nt for the mods blowing their own horns, it'd die!!

HAHAHAHAHHHA

Just kidding -- I've met a number of the mods: Pez & Huly (those guys are COOL), Big Sexy, and my fav. mod: TLC. Honorary Hog is the coolest website guru I know -- thanks for making ES what it is!

Great piece Mark.

I've always wondered how this all happened.

I usually get bits and pieces of history from you at the tailgates on gamedays, but to have it all written out is very nice.

Mad props to all of those who put in the countless hours and funding to make this happen.

I've really enjoyed this place over the last 3 1/2 years.

I've trolled many NFL boards and ES is by far the best.

Edited by RFKFedEx

I have to give props to you guys, I've been around to almost every other NFL team message board and they don't compare to ES, not even close. You guys offer it all and its the best place to find the latest rumors.

The "X" logo for extremeskins is a great design don't ever change it

I think one of the more fun moments in ES history was the night Joe Gibbs came back. I first found the news here. The membership may have been about 3000 at the time, and just took off from that point forward

That was easily the best memory I have of ES.

I remember it being unconfirmed, and how much of a shocker it was. Nobody saw it coming, and nobody was less than thrilled about it.

Edited by [[ghost]]

Maybe you missed the fine print at the bottom of the piece? :)

Yeah I needed a magnifying glass to see that when I went back to look, but no worries. :)

Simply amazing to think about a thousand people being on here, much less 90,000.

I wonder if Danny is a member? :paranoid:

Edited by Jeff in D.C.

Wow! I am happy all you guys are enjoying the piece. I wasn't sure it y'all would like it, or if it would just drop to page 2 in a few hours. Glad you like it. I personally am fascinated with it, always have been, so it was fun to draw the info out and get it on paper, so to speak.

The reason why that database's information hasn't been updated since 2004.... was coincidentally as far as I went with data entry into OUR database.

Blade and I went ragged purchasing Redskins media guys dating back to the 1940's... to get rosters, numbers, positions, draft position, etc.

It was a huge endeavor. Blade built the databases (player database, game database, draft pick database)... and I did all the data entry.

That hack merely copied all our code... without a single modification.

And it hasn't been updated... because there wasn't anything more to steal.... because I didn't update it since well before the merger (August 2005).

Exactly. It's almost funny. The guy can't even be bothered to poke in recent stuff. That's pretty sad.

One thing though - while we castigate the guy for being a thief - it's almost a good thing. Because now we have what we had lost. It's there, available for our use. If it wasn't for him, it would have been gone for (maybe) forever. It's his thievery that saved it.

I remember when I joined it showed what number member you were. I think I was like in the 30,000 bunch but not sure since my memory is no longer what it was
If you're interested, go to your UserCP, go to Profile, go to Contacts, Click the send PM link. Your member number will be displayed in the url.
So you were planning this for a year before you even joined the site?
lol no. DH started a thread in April of 2004 in the Owner's Box tossing out the idea of a history page and wrote down some tidbits of info.

Maybe three weeks ago I PMed DH and tell him I want to write a history page. He said check the Owner's box and you'll see some stuff in a thread.

So I look and the thread was from 2004. I PMed DH and I told him "Dude, I'm gonna get this done."

What happened was, DH had asked for pics from all the staff to be included in the piece. A few days passed. One or two sent their's in.... DH reminded them again... they promised to send it in.... and the next thing you know,

It's 2005 and TK added some info about himself....

Next post was in 2006 when iheart said "Is there any interest in resurrecting this?"

Next post was 2008 when TK said "Once we're settled in with the new board, this would be a great project "

Then I found it - led to it by DH.

Mark, Tarhog didn't have anything to do with the databases.

FYI, I know I have 3 of your PM's stored that I need to respond to. I will. Just bee extremely busy of late.

Okay, I'll fix that. Also, I noticed looking at the graphic shapshots that the database was actually finished in 2003. So I need to move that info up the page a little.