Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Acting must be one of the easiest professions in the world.

blue collar

Seriously, how many rappers, singers, comedians, athletes over the years have become big time actors? I mean, most most likely didn't even have any formal acting training. I mean, is it THAT easy? And it's a shame. You have a lot of trained actors who can not get their big break because a lot of the good roles are going to stars of other professions.

I'm not trying to hate, but I do have a little problem with that.

Being an actress/actor IS easy! Being a good one......not so much.

And there you have it.

If you are already famous for doing anything other than acting, you are (at least) twice as likely to get hired as an actor because the world has already seen you in the media. Once your first gig goes to screen is when you find out if you'll ever be hired again. Also- people buy tickets or tune in to see someone they are already familiar with.

As long as people pay money to go watch movies, there will be actors. Same with sports. And no, I don't really think it's that easy.

Really?

Dwayne Johnson

Mark Wahlberg

Bob Uecker

Rick Fox

Jason Lee

Ed Marinaro

Merlin Olson

Vinnie Jones

Carl Weathers

Fred Dryer

Fred Williamson

Jim Brown

And that is just the tip of the iceberg.

But how many of them "really" make it? That's the difference?
How many rappers or athletes really make it as actors?

I don't recall seeing Ice Cube in a Scorsese picture.

Larry the Cable Guy and Dane Cook aren't doing so well with their film projects either.

You're confusing the idea of a celebrity being able to merely do a side project outside their original field, with them being actually notable in that side project.

Larry the Cable Guy and Dane Cook aren't doing so well with their film projects either.

You're confusing the idea of a celebrity being able to merely do a side project outside their original field, with them being actually notable in that side project.

Really? Larry the Cable Guy has how many movies? And you think he didn't make, say $5M per? Plus his $250K/stand up shows, are you gonna say he is so talented he is worthy of making that scratch?

Ice Cube is a major movie star. He probably demand more per film than Robert de niro. Have you ever heard of Will Smith or Eddie Murphy?

No, I am saying BRITNEY CAN'T SING, yet she is a "music" star.
I agree.

But that's different than what the OP was originally saying with "well if Britney is successful at music, and gets to act in something, then being an actor is easy."

There's always going to be marginal talent finding success in the entertainment industry. Always. It's been that way throughout time. Doesn't matter if it's singing, dancing, acting, comedy (Jay Leno), etc. Hollywood can always find a sucker to package to the right audience.

Using a moderately successful comedian, such as a Dane Cook, to try and make a cheap comedy movie to appeal to his comedy fans doesn't mean he's a successful actor though. Just because you're able to do something doesn't mean you're actually good at it, or worth being mentioned at all.

Really? Larry the Cable Guy has how many movies? And you think he didn't make, say $5M per? Plus his $250K/stand up shows, are you gonna say he is so talented he is worthy of making that scratch?
I think Larry the Cable Guy is a hack and shouldn't be making 2 dollars for a stand up performance.

But because he starred in Delta Farce (2% on Rotten Tomatoes), Larry The Cable Guy: Health Inspector (6% on Rotten Tomatoes), and Witless Protection (0% on Rotten Tomatoes) doesn't qualify him as being an "actor," despite what the OP was getting at with his original premise.

Does anybody really say Shaq is an actor, because he was in Kazaam?

Ice Cube is a major movie star. He probably demand more per film than Robert de niro. Have you ever heard of Will Smith or Eddie Murphy?
If you're being serious and actually believe Ice Cube is a major movie star as opposed to Robert De Niro, then I can see this is a pointless discussion.

Will Smith is legitimately multi-talented. As is Eddie Murphy, despite the fact that he's made a bunch of crap the past 5 or 6 years. That's different.

He is a major movie star. This isn't about who's better.
In 40 years, what will people remember most about Ice Cube?

N.W.A. and his role in West Coast rap?

Or his movie parts in Anaconda and XXX: State of the Union?

You're just using the term "actor" too loosely to make this a credible viewpoint.

Archived