Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:Where will Haynesworth fit in Haslett's defense?

authentic

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/albert-haynesworth/theres-been-no-further-indicat.html#more

There's been no further indication from the Redskins of what they'll do defensively next season under new coordinator Jim Haslett, but certainly speculation continues to center on a shift to a 3-4 defense. The most intriguing part of the switch for many will be Albert Haynesworth.

He's played his entire career in a 4-3 alignment and came to Washington with certain assurances; he felt he knew his role and knew what he was getting into with the Redskins.

To try to figure out how he'd adjust to the 3-4 -- and how his skill set might translate -- we consulted with Jim Schwartz, the Detroit Lions' head coach who was Haynesworth's defensive coordinator for seven years in Tennessee.

First, Schwartz warned that 3-4 is more of a blanket term and that within that alignment, there are still plenty of things you can do with the personnel.

"There's a lot of different kind of 3-4s," Schwartz said. "You could do a 3-4 where you're using space. There's a stunting 3-4, where you're going at a player, which is similar to what [Haynesworth] has done. You could do a combination of both. Chicago is a combination. Pittsburgh a bit more of a stunting 3-4, a blitzing 3-4. San Diego is a little bit more of a big nose. New England, Cleveland, Miami and those guys are more of a hunt and pound. I think, Haslett, with his experience, if he goes 3-4, he'll figure out the best way to make it work."

So what does that mean for Haynesworth? Do you make him the nose tackle or put him at defensive end?

"You can play him at end, or you can play him nose. He can do whatever he wants," said Schwartz. "He's that talented of a player."

Most likely as a DE, he will throw a fit if he plays NT. That is not his style of play and he will fight the coaches before he plays NT. I worry that he will only be a situational player and they are paying him soo much money to be only on a certain number of plays a game

Talented yes, but will he be happy about it is the question?

That's going to depend greatly on what type of 3-4 we run. People like to classify every 3-4 as the same scheme but they can be completely different just like every 4-3 can be. That's why it blows my mind everytime I read a poster talk about how "aggressive" the 3-4 is.

If we want to play Haynesworth in a NT role similar to what Dallas does with Ratliff I don't hink he'd have a problem. His role is going to be more important than his position.

Physically, Haynesworth is not ideal as NT. Yeah, he's big, but he's also tall, which as a NT is a disadvantage. NT rely on leverage, not just size to eat up space and hold the point of attack. Durablity is also an issue at NT. I dont really see him fitting in that well with a 3-4. DE I think is a better fit for him however, just not a real good one.

Physically, Haynesworth is not ideal as NT. Yeah, he's big, but he's also tall, which as a NT is a disadvantage. NT rely on leverage, not just size to eat up space and hold the point of attack. Durablity is also an issue at NT. I dont really see him fitting in that well with a 3-4. DE I think is a better fit for him however, just not a real good one.

Durability is a good point not many have considered. Filling that NT position once is hard, so finding a capable backup can be extremely difficult. The NT needs to be a player you can depend on for 16 games. Haynesworth as a full time NT may be a poor fit for this reason, but he could certainly shift across all 3 DL positions in different packages to take advantage of mismatches.

I honestly would not play Haynesworth at Nose Tackle. Instead, I would move him to the outside along with Andre Carter, but there lies the rub, who can we get for NT that can take the pounding of 16 games, as well as the strength? Maybe Big Snack (Casey Hampton) or Tank Johnson who both will be Free Agents this off-season?

Talented yes, but will he be happy about it is the question?

when he signed for all of that $$$$$$$ ...I'm sure he was very happy...now it is time for him to get to work for that $$$$$$

who cares if he is happy...I personally hope he is upset ...I hope he gets angry n takes it out on the opposing team/players ...JMHO

Put haynesworth at RE, put Montgomert at NT, and put Jermon and LE. Orakpo at ROLB,

Fletcher at RILB, Mcintosh at LILB, and you bring in a LB from the Draft/FA to play LOLB. Trade Carter while he has value and get who we need to fill the gaps in oline. Or Let Wilson take a shot at it

At 350+ lbs, being 6'6" isn't really a significant disadvantage. The bigger problem with Haynesworth is definitely his durability at that size. He'd probably be better off with a playing weight below 325 lbs and manning the DE spot, in which case he'd have a build type similar to that of Richard Seymour.

In the right scheme he could be an absolute monster in the 3-4.

At 350+ lbs, being 6'6" isn't really a significant disadvantage. The bigger problem with Haynesworth is definitely his durability at that size. He'd probably be better off with a playing weight below 325 lbs and manning the DE spot, in which case he'd have a build type similar to that of Richard Seymour..

I was thinking about that earlier. If he can be whipped into shape and lose 30+ pounds, he would do well at about 320-325 to play DE. not only that, but i'm convinced that the weight has contributed to his knee and ankle injuries.

good article... schwartz makes a great point about scheme being the real thing, not personnel... 3-4 is more personnel than scheme these days... everyone is incorporating schemes from all sorts of philosophies and because we might run a 3-4, doesn't mean we are going to use all personnel in the strict 3-4 sense...

London Fletcher has said that they already play a version of the 3-4 defense. Just imagine Carter standing up.

Personally, I like the idea of switching to the 3-4 defense. When played correctly, it will confuse the QB's adjustments, as well as the OL protection adjustments.

What Fletcher said was that our 4-3 is schematically similar to the way Dallas plays their 3-4, not that we already play a version of the 3-4.

not only that, but i'm convinced that the weight has contributed to his knee and ankle injuries.

It's a fairly logical conclusion.

I'm not sure how we can speculate about this when we don't even know what the defensive coaches have planned. We aren't even definite that the defense WILL be some variation on the 3-4.

What is certain is that they will try to use their talent as best as possible, and it is a guarantee that Haynesworth will be a member of that talent.

London Fletcher has said that they already play a version of the 3-4 defense. Just imagine Carter standing up.

Personally, I like the idea of switching to the 3-4 defense. When played correctly, it will confuse the QB's adjustments, as well as the OL protection adjustments.

Two years ago, when we had a healthy Jason Taylor, we would bring 3 and let Jason go into coverage.

Now realisticaly thats not a 3-4, but more of a hybrid 4-3.

Either way we have a pretty good defensive mind in Haslett and I have confidence no matter what we go with, he will try to maxamise our talent.

In regards to Haynesworth, I see him playing DE, and Montgomery as NT.

And would not be surprised if they drafted Dan Williams or Mount Cody to rotate in with Montgomery.

Two years ago, when we had a healthy Jason Taylor, we would bring 3 and let Jason go into coverage.

Now realisticaly thats not a 3-4, but more of a hybrid 4-3.

Either way we have a pretty good defensive mind in Haslett and I have confidence no matter what we go with, he will try to maxamise our talent.

In regards to Haynesworth, I see him playing DE, and Montgomery as NT.

And would not be surprised if they drafted Dan Williams or Mount Cody to rotate in with Montgomery.

We did a lot of this under Gregg Williams. Philly use to do a lot of it under Johnson, not sure if they're still doing it.

Archived