Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:In LaFleur, Redskins have coach whose specialty is passing

authentic

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/kyle-shanahan/in-lafleur-redskins-have-coach.html#more

One of the most intriguing hires was quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur, who followed offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan from Houston and was relatively unknown outside the Texans' organization. LaFleur was previously an offensive assistant and comes to Washington with rave reviews from Gary Kubiak, the Texans' head coach who expects LaFleur to greatly aid Kyle Shanahan.

"I think every coordinator needs a right-hand guy, from a quarterbacks standpoint, to be with him. He'll do a great job," Kubiak said. "He's just getting started. He's a very bright young man. To be hones with you, he's a lot like Kyle was four or five years ago."

The Texans hired LaFleur in 2008 on the recommendation of his good friend Robert Saleh, the Texans' assistant linebackers coach. LaFleur had previously held offensive coaching positions at Ashland University, Northern Michigan, Central Michigan and Saginaw Valley State.

With the Texans, LaFleur worked with receivers in his first year. Andre Johnson led the league with 115 catches and 1,575 receiving yards that season, and in Year 2, Kubiak decided to to put LaFleur with the quarterbacks. Last season, Matt Schaub led the league with 4,770 passing yards and 396 completions. The Texans' offense was ranked first in passing (4,654 yards).

"Basically, Kyle and I gained so much confidence in him, we had him do a lot of work with our quarterbacks," said Kubiak. "He just grew on us, kept doing a great job. Our quarterbacks gained a lot of confidence in him. His specialty was working with our backup quarterbacks, our second and third. And he just did a hell of a job."

:)

We have an excellent group of coaches, both young and experienced. I am really excited about the promise and future of the team after Mike Shanny.

I think Burgold said it best in another thread, this isn't "getting the band back together" this is getting the best coaches for this team.

Lots of expierence and plenty of youth with new ideas and fresh energy. I like the mix that Shanny has brought in

We have an excellent group of coaches, both young and experienced. I am really excited about the promise and future of the team after Mike Shanny.

Do I hear an almost Steeler-esque assurance of continuity on the staff? After Mike comes Kyle, then we just keep promoting from inside. This could be the start of a beautiful friendship :laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is now a football organization. Most people think the on-field activities fuel the organization. It's the other way around. Well run organizations field better teams. Look at the Redskins own history as evidence. When were the organizations peaks and valleys. look the the Stl/AZ franchise and so on, and so on.

Do I hear an almost Steeler-esque assurance of continuity on the staff? After Mike comes Kyle, then we just keep promoting from inside. This could be the start of a beautiful friendship :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm right where you are. We have, potentially, Shanahan I, Shanhan II, and then LaFleur as a succession line.

We've had HC candidates on our staff before and we let them walk. Marvin Lewis, Gregg Williams, etc. We haven't been an organization to promote from within for a long time so it's going to be up to Bruce Allen to make this decision.

I wonder if there are any ties between him and LeFevour?? Or was that before LeFevour got to CMU.

He probably still has connections with the university even if they weren't there at the same time. Maybe he can get some inside info on him from the current staff.

Some very good points. As SkinsHokieFan points out, Burgold makes a great point that Shanahan did not just look to put the band back together, but instead hired what they thought are the best at each position. Though I do wonder, who guided that. Was it Bruce Allen or was it Mike Shanahan?

Also, Hitman21ST makes a great point that with the hires we made, that with youth, the organization can groom it's own, to have Coaches be promoted through the ranks.

Not to rain on the parade because I'm certainly intrigued by Shanahan Jr if not LaFleur, but don't we as fans do this every year with "young" coaches? Especially on offense?

Wasn't Noah Brindise going to be the guy who was going to take over for OBC when he retired?

Or how about the Gibbs dynasty that was going to happen when Coy was going to take over for pop?

Have we forgotten Chris Meidt already?

Or going back, I remember people thinking that Cam Cameron was going to take over for Norv after Norv resurrected the team.

I say wait until these coaches distinquish themselves as Redskins and we actually have on field success before declaring lines of succession.

I am hopeful for our new coaches seem to me lots of potential to them.

Apologize for being off topic, but love this quote by CC (part of the link).

I can't imagine going an anywhere else or playing for another team. I hope I've done enough in D.C. to play my entire career as a Redskin. It sucks to hear our fans talk about me going anywhere else, regardless of what kind of trade value there is.

Cooley also promises to be in the Caps dressing room popping the champagne if they win a Cup. "Leoncis is the man," he wrote.

I sure hope he is a Redskin for his entire (long) career!!! Could it be destiny that he grew up a Bronco and MS fan as a kid, then embraced the Redskins and the fan base as he had, then get to play for the Shanny IN DC?

Archived