Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Senior Bowl thread

redskins021

Exactly who is he competing with in Mobile.

O yeah, no one. None of the top Tackle prospects are they. Nor top Defense end prospects

One more thing. The film doesn't lie. As a scout, if you feel he isn't athletic enough to be a LT, 1 week vs ok competition isnt gonna really change that. I'm not saying he can't play, because he can. He can do a lot of things, just not as a LT.

Thus IMO and more importantly scouts opinon he is a mid round prospect. Not worth a top round selection.

So by your logic these guys shouldn't even be playing in this game because the scouts already graded them and they are what they are? So all of it is a waste of time and guys can't improve there draft postitions with hard work they might as well just sit back and wait for the draft!:doh:

These guys are there to prove that whatever negatives the scouts or coaches saw in season can be corrected and that they are better and deserve to be picked by a team. Some guys move into the first day by showing they are capable to learn and play at there respected positions at a high level.

Not a fan of Syd'Quan Thompson. He looks like he'll get beat a lot. I do like that he's a very physical corner that's good at press coverage.

Apparently he's impressing so far:

Syd’Quan Thompson, CB, California

The Bears' star has created quite a stir with his exceptional play during the North’s practice sessions. Thompson’s combination of cover skills and toughness is rare, and he started to evoke memories of Antoine Winfield at the position. While some scouts are still concerned about his size deficiency, Thompson’s knack for making plays on the ball and delivering punishing hits during drills has him creeping up draft boards across the league.

Apparently he's impressing so far:

Syd’Quan Thompson, CB, California

The Bears' star has created quite a stir with his exceptional play during the North’s practice sessions. Thompson’s combination of cover skills and toughness is rare, and he started to evoke memories of Antoine Winfield at the position. While some scouts are still concerned about his size deficiency, Thompson’s knack for making plays on the ball and delivering punishing hits during drills has him creeping up draft boards across the league.

He didn't impress me in one on one drills but during the 11 on 11 drills he was doing pretty well. He cause several incompletions. So maybe I'm changing my mind on him. He just looked bad in one on ones but looked good when playing with a whole team.

Some love going to my Auburn player. :)

per Football's Future Tues. notes:

The running back corps for the South team features a number of intriguing prospects from the SEC. Ben Tate has been the most impressive so far. He hits holes hard and is a tough downhill runner. With the pads on in Tuesday’s practice, Ben Tate leaped out a bit showing those exact things, but also made a nice catch against Eric Norwood. Anthony Dixon is a big back at 245 pounds, but has surprisingly good feet for his size as he showed Tuesday. Roy Upchurch has also played pretty well, making a nice reception today in the team portion of practice.

He didn't impress me in one on one drills but during the 11 on 11 drills he was doing pretty well. He cause several incompletions. So maybe I'm changing my mind on him. He just looked bad in one on ones but looked good when playing with a whole team.

Watching some highlights, he had some very impressive plays - including one where he was step-for-step with Heyward-Bey down the field. He may be one of those guys who's just a gamer.

Some love going to my Auburn player. :)

per Football's Future Tues. notes:

The running back corps for the South team features a number of intriguing prospects from the SEC. Ben Tate has been the most impressive so far. He hits holes hard and is a tough downhill runner. With the pads on in Tuesday’s practice, Ben Tate leaped out a bit showing those exact things, but also made a nice catch against Eric Norwood. Anthony Dixon is a big back at 245 pounds, but has surprisingly good feet for his size as he showed Tuesday. Roy Upchurch has also played pretty well, making a nice reception today in the team portion of practice.

Glad hear something about Tate

Have you (or anyone else) heard anything else about him. I love RB that have size and speed i think he could be steal in the draft, cuz idk where they have him going im think 4th maybe 3rd if he is lucky.

and i would love to see what Shanny could do with him

Scouts are saying Taylor Mays is looking pretty bad

Taylor Mays failed to impress once again. Honestly I’m not overtly seeking to criticize him, but once again he failed to make plays where plays were there to be made. Three straight times in the closing 11-on-11 drills he had chances to read the field and see where the ball was likely to go, but he failed to act and the throw got completed right where he should have been. On one of the plays the corner (Robinson) properly funneled the route inside to his safety help (Mays) but Mays either failed to anticipate it or failed to react. I was standing next to a recently retired NFL safety during this time and he exclaimed, “What the **** is he waiting for?”

Taylor Mays failed to impress once again. Honestly I’m not overtly seeking to criticize him, but once again he failed to make plays where plays were there to be made. Three straight times in the closing 11-on-11 drills he had chances to read the field and see where the ball was likely to go, but he failed to act and the throw got completed right where he should have been. On one of the plays the corner (Robinson) properly funneled the route inside to his safety help (Mays) but Mays either failed to anticipate it or failed to react. I was standing next to a recently retired NFL safety during this time and he exclaimed, “What the **** is he waiting for?”

Yea his hips are to stiff if he keeps this up they will definitely move him to OLB, he's already the same size as the TCU LB so a position change is in his future.

Glad hear something about Tate

Have you (or anyone else) heard anything else about him. I love RB that have size and speed i think he could be steal in the draft, cuz idk where they have him going im think 4th maybe 3rd if he is lucky.

and i would love to see what Shanny could do with him

I can't reply to this without sounding like the Auburn homer that I am. :D

The announcers in the Outback Bowl said he should have as good and durable an NFL career as Rudi Johnson and Heath Evans. I would definitely be happy with that.

Ben drew some negative publicity for the comment a few months ago that he was the best running back in the SEC. At the time he made the comment, he was leading in several stats for the year, but of course, he is a senior whereas, Ingram was only a sophmore. Tate did finish as the 5th all time rusher at Auburn. No doubt, he would have finished higher if 2008 hadn't been such a terrible year for Auburn.

He was also slammed for dunking the ball over the goal post in the bowl game. The SEC refs had voted that celebrations were allowed as long as it wasn't choreographed. Unfortunately, it wasn't SEC refs officiating and Ben should have known that.

I didn't hear what NFL Network said about him last night but someone on the Auburn board said they started out with "Ben Tate, from Running Back University".

I saw that the Dallas Cowboys are interested in drafting Ben. Please, nooooooo. Get busy Shanny and don't let this happen.

I found this from Draft Guys

Senior Bowl: Ben Tate (Auburn) impressed me today with his start/stop ability. He doesn’t lose much speed when changing direction, and will get to the second level in a hurry. He’s not the most powerful inside runner, but is willing and will keep his legs churning to push for extra yardage. He has a good stutter step to create space, and he can get to the edge consistently but is not always looking to bounce every run outside. – Draft Guys (01.26.10)

I can't reply to this without sounding like the Auburn homer that I am. :D

The announcers in the Outback Bowl said he should have as good and durable an NFL career as Rudi Johnson and Heath Evans. I would definitely be happy with that.

Ben drew some negative publicity for the comment a few months ago that he was the best running back in the SEC. At the time he made the comment, he was leading in several stats for the year, but of course, he is a senior whereas, Ingram was only a sophmore. Tate did finish as the 5th all time rusher at Auburn. No doubt, he would have finished higher if 2008 hadn't been such a terrible year for Auburn.

He was also slammed for dunking the ball over the goal post in the bowl game. The SEC refs had voted that celebrations were allowed as long as it wasn't choreographed. Unfortunately, it wasn't SEC refs officiating and Ben should have known that.

I didn't hear what NFL Network said about him last night but someone on the Auburn board said they started out with "Ben Tate, from Running Back University".

I saw that the Dallas Cowboys are interested in drafting Ben. Please, nooooooo. Get busy Shanny and don't let this happen.

I found this from Draft Guys

Senior Bowl: Ben Tate (Auburn) impressed me today with his start/stop ability. He doesn’t lose much speed when changing direction, and will get to the second level in a hurry. He’s not the most powerful inside runner, but is willing and will keep his legs churning to push for extra yardage. He has a good stutter step to create space, and he can get to the edge consistently but is not always looking to bounce every run outside. – Draft Guys (01.26.10)

Thanks a lot!!

My g//f's a HUGE Auburn fan she's friends with some of the cheerleaders.

But Tate was my favorite player on the team last year him and the DE Coleman I think he could be a hell of 3-4 OLB, but Tate is really good at the one cut and side step then burst through the hole reminds me of Betts but with more speed. Imho i think Shanny could make him 1,000 yard back EZ!

This is exactly why those "Taylor Mays is the next Sean Taylor!" type of threads of were so groan inducing.

The guy never did anything at USC except lay people out when they were already running routes right near him.

The problem with being a safety like that today, is that with the NFL becoming such a pass heavy league, you really need two starting safeties that can play the pass well. More and more, teams are getting strong safeties that can cover like free safeties, and free safeties that border on being cornerbacks (which is why a guy like Eric Berry is the ideal NFL FS at this point).

Taylor Mays would have been a great safety in 1983. Now he's just a guy playing over his head until he switches positions.

This is exactly why those "Taylor Mays is the next Sean Taylor!" type of threads of were so groan inducing.

The guy never did anything at USC except lay people out when they were already running routes right near him.

The problem with being a safety like that today, is that with the NFL becoming such a pass heavy league, you really need two starting safeties that can play the pass well. More and more, teams are getting strong safeties that can cover like free safeties, and free safeties that border on being cornerbacks (which is why a guy like Eric Berry is the ideal NFL FS at this point).

Taylor Mays would have been a great safety in 1983. Now he's just a guy playing over his head until he switches positions.

He actually had a better day yesterday:

USC S Taylor Mays broke up a pass in the endzone during 7-on-7’s today. In another play Mays allowed a catch but reached in to strip the ball immediately afterwards. The big concern is still the instincts and awareness and that is something I will be paying very close attention to while watching the game.

He'll still go high, but not as high as some people thought.

He actually had a better day yesterday:

He'll still go high, but not as high as some people thought.

He could go in the 2nd round with his combine numbers, there's no doubt he's a great athlete.

From the National Football Post on today's workouts:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Senior-Bowl-Day-3-South-impressions.html

2. Meanwhile, USC’s Taylor Mays continued to struggle generating any kind of burst when asked to click and close and routinely getting high in his drop and being forced to gather himself in coverage. On top of that, he lacks the type of instincts needed to consistently get good jumps on the ball and always looks to be playing from behind. If I had my choice between Mays and Allen at this stage, my pick would be Allen.

Also, for anyone out there on ES interested in Ciron Black:

3. I haven’t been the biggest fan of LSU’s Ciron Black this season, but I did come away impressed with his performance Wednesday when he lined up some at guard. He exhibited good power at the point of attack, looked smooth through contact and did a nice job staying on blocks. I never considered Black to be a legitimate left tackle prospect, but the brief preview we got of him at guard was promising.

On the aforementioned topic of Myron Rolle (who I think could actually be one of the smartest players in the NFL once he's drafted):

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/9174/video-myron-rolle-ready-for-the-nfl

He looks good.

My sleeper pick is Jarret Brown. He has an arm and has pretty good accuracy.

Jarrett Brown does not have good accuracy. He was wildly inconsistent once he got his chance to start. There were a couple games he was dead on with every throw and other games where he would miss wide open easy throws. His pocket clock is terrible, which led to a lot of the sacks he gave up, and he is average at best extending the play. Finally, at times, he seemed lost reading coverage. I never saw him lock onto a WR, but he missed a lot of guys open on down-the-field routes at times and chose the check down or underneath guy.

Anyone who drafts Brown higher than the 6th round is not getting value for the pick at all. Having the tools and applying them consistently are 2 different things.

Archived