Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Training Camp Report, August 7 Morning Practice

Posse81

Sounds like Dockery struggled a little bit...

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=11832

Training Camp Report, August 7 Morning Practice

08/07/2003

Amid downcast skies and a slight drizzle, the Redskins practiced for more than two hours this morning. Players had been given Wednesday afternoon off and seemed refreshed for one more two-a-day before preparing to leave for their pre-season game at Carolina on Saturday evening.

This morning’s practice was especially lively during a session between offensive and defensive linemen. They refined their pass-rushing and pass-blocking skills against each other for more than 20 minutes. At one point, it turned heated when offensive guard Dave Fiore and defensive end Peppi Zellner had a brief shoving match.

Rookie offensive lineman Derrick Dockery, in particular, was tested against defensive linemen Greg Scott, Bernard Jackson and Mike Cecere. After practice, Dockery spent another 10 minutes working with assistant offensive line coach John Hunt.

Here’s a look at some of the highlights from Thursday morning’s practice:

Player: Bryan Barker appears to have a leg up on Brent Bartholomew for the punting job heading into the first pre-season game. He consistently booms 50-plus yard punts that draw applause from the crowd. Barker’s 2002 season was cut short after he suffered a nasal fracture in a Week 12 game against Dallas.

Play: Quarterback Gibran Hamdan is still inconsistent with many of his throws, but he has certainly improved since the Redskins selected him in the seventh round of last April’s NFL Draft. During 7-on-7 drills, he displayed a nice touch on a pass thrown over a defensive back to wide receiver Scott Cloman. Later, during a scrimmage, he connected with fellow draftee Taylor Jacobs, who was left uncovered down the right sideline, on a touchdown pass.

Quote: “I’m pretty excited about the way coaches are using me. I think they are going to be moving me around a whole lot. That’ll give me an advantage, because I know where I want to be and I know where I want to go.” – linebacker LaVar Arrington

Atmosphere: Despite the downcast weather, only a handful of fans used umbrellas. By the end of practice, the sun had started to peak through the clouds. Patrick Ramsey, John Hall and Richmond Flowers were among players who signed autographs for fans.

Notes: The Redskins will hold an afternoon practice at 4 p.m. today. This will be the last practice that fans will be able to attend until Monday, August 11. The team will practice from 4-5:45 p.m. Monday afternoon.

-- Compiled by Gary Fitzgerald

Archived