Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Ravens Safety Ed Reed Contemplating Retirement

StillUnknown

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AhENLjpgpUekJ02QpzvWpphDubYF?slug=ap-ravens-reed&prov=ap&type=lgns

INDIANAPOLIS (AP)—Baltimore Ravens safety Ed Reed(notes) is considering retirement after an injury-filled season.

The 31-year-old Reed missed four December games because of a variety of injuries, including problems with his neck, hip and groin.

“I’ve been thinking about it, and it kind of hit me on the sidelines,” he said Saturday after a 20-3 playoff loss to the Colts. “It’s going to be a long offseason. It hurts. I am just thinking about it.

“I’m 50-50. I am going to re-evaluate things and see how it goes in the next couple of days.”

The six-time Pro Bowler was the 2004 Defensive Player of the Year. He had one interception of Peyton Manning(notes) on Saturday night, but fumbled on his runback, handing the ball back to the Colts. He also had an interception and long return erased by a pass interference penalty on teammate Corey Ivy(notes).

So if he does retire, is he a Hall of Famer? A very short, high impact career and was clearly one of the greatest playmakers of his generation.

No rings, though, and that might hurt him. What's everyone think?

Well he does have:

Defensive Player of the Year award

6 time Pro Bowler

6 time All Pro (4 of those being 1st team)

His INT return yardage (1,255 yards) is also 5th of all time, and he's typically regarded as one of the best DBs of his era.

Without that Super Bowl ring though, I don't know. I think if he plays 2 or 3 more seasons at his current level he could have a pretty good shot.

So if he does retire, is he a Hall of Famer? A very short, high impact career and was clearly one of the greatest playmakers of his generation.

No rings, though, and that might hurt him. What's everyone think?

first ballot hall of famer in my book, top 5 (top 3 imo) safety of all time

Archived