Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In Depth with Jim Haslett and Mike Zimmer

Rexrode21

Jerry Gray got his own thread about his detailed past so I thought I would do the research for the rest of you on the other two coaches that have been talked about as strong candidates for our future DC in D.C.

I want to begin by telling you the "Defensive Rank" that I am using is based on the amount of points scored on the team. Forgive me for not wanting to go into yardage per game but I wanted to give the best representation I could without spending hours on this. Secondly, I left out the years where Haslett was Head Coach because it is debatable how much he was involved in the defense.

Enjoy!

Jim Haslett:

Defensive Coordinator (NOR 1996):

Final Record: 3-13

Defensive Rank: 20th

Defensive Coordinator (PIT 1997):

Final Record: 11-5

Defensive Rank: 11th

Defensive Coordinator (PIT 1998):

Final Record: 7-9

Defensive Rank: 7th

Defensive Coordinator (PIT 1999):

Final Record: 6-10

Defensive Rank: 12th

Defensive Coordinator (STL 2006):

Final Record: 8-8

Defensive Rank: 28th

Defensive Coordinator (STL 2007):

Final Record: 3-13

Defensive Rank: 31st

Overall:

Final Record: 38-58 (.396)

Avg Defensive Rank: 18th

Mike Zimmer:

ProFootballWeekly.com ranked Zimmer the #2 DC in the league this year. Take it for what it's worth.

Defensive Coordinator (DAL 2000):

Final Record: 5-11

Defensive Rank: 22nd

Defensive Coordinator (DAL 2001):

Defensive Coordinator (DAL 2002):

Defensive Rank: 13th

Defensive Coordinator (DAL 2003):

Final Record: 10-6

Defensive Rank: 2nd

Defensive Coordinator (DAL 2004):

Final Record: 6-10

Defensive Rank: 27th

(Side Note to this season: Dallas was #1 in Rush Defense)

Defensive Coordinator (DAL 2005): First Year in 3-4

Final Record: 9-7

Defensive Rank: 12th

Defensive Coordinator (DAL 2006):

Final Record: 9-7

Defensive Coordinator (ATL 2007):

Final Record: 4-12

Defensive Rank: 29th

Defensive Coordinator (CIN 2008):

Final Record: 4-11-1

Defensive Rank: 19th

Defensive Coordinator (CIN 2009):

Final Record: 10-6

Defensive Rank: 6th

Overall:

Final Record: 67-92-1 (.419)

Avg. Defensive Rank: 17th

Final Assessment:

They only differ by 1 in their Average Defensive Rank, and only .02 in winning percentage, however, Zimmer has the edge in both categories. Take this all for what it's worth, but when it all ends I'm sure that Shanahan will pick the right man for the job.

HTTR! :saber:

Kudos to the op for looking up the stats and such.

I think that a more important part of who our next DC should be, is how his defensive scheme fit our players.

We can talk stats all day, but it really comes down to the players and how they are being implemented.

I mean look at the wide flucuations in Zimmers years with the Cowboys prior to them switching to a 3-4 ssheme. They go from 20th to 13th, to 2nd and then down to 27th.

There has to be some change in personel issues there.

Then after they go to the 3-4, they go back up to 12th and then drop to 20th.

So the stats are just relative. Does either guy have the pedigree to keep our defense in the top 10 ?

Yes, to me Zimmer has much more experience.

But if it were up to me, I would be trying to obtain Romeo Crennel.

How a team finished in yards given up is one of the weakest ways of measuring the competence of the D Coordinator. Look at the Skins - They finished 10th this past year in yards allowed - San Diego (arguably one of the best teams right now) finished 16th. Do you want to guess how many more yards San Diego gave up OVER THE ENTIRE SEASON than the Redskins? 117 more yards. That a couple of long plays - maybe after you're way ahead and the other team gets a meaningless drive. The statistic is completely overrated.

Indianapolis, btw finished 18th. Of course they threw at least 2 games at the end of the season. Get the point?

To measure the strength of a defense (and coordinator) you have to look at plenty of different things like: sacks, turnovers, how the team's offense performed (a weak offense leaves the other team in better field position - so they can score by gaining fewer yards - making the defense look "better"), were there lots of close games, who were the opponents? (for example the Skins finished "10th" in defense but the played an almost impossibly weak schedule - so they gave of plenty of yards against weak teams), how many big plays did the defense give up?, were your special teams bad (again giving the opposing team better field position and thus fewer yards to gain), and finally points allowed (even though if you give up special teams scores and your offense gives up defensive tds - that will skew that as well).

Also what talent level did the team have for the coordinator to work with. Most people here would say that Gregg Williams is a pretty good coordinator - yet New Orleans finished 25th this past year. That's because they had injuries and a poor secondary.

Maybe the most important thing is can your defense get the ball back when you're behind or guarding a small lead at the end of the game?

So basically we are looking at:

Gray: 4-3

Zimmer: 4-3

Haslett: 3-4

Romeo Crennell is supposedly going to the Cheifs.

How about interviewing Rob Ryan and giving him the title DC/Assistant HC defense?

I look at what Rex has done with the Ravens and now the Jets and wonder if his brother can do the same for us?

How many points did the defense score? How any SFOs did they provide? How about VSFOs? What about defensive efficiency like yards given per play, points given up per play and when/how most of that yardage was surrendered (for example, big plays versus steady yards). Were mediocre defenses more of a personnel issue or scheme? What about the rankings of the offenses faced? Any effect from how their own offense or special teams played? How did the defensive play effect the offense and special teams?

How many points did the defense score? How any SFOs did they provide? How about VSFOs? What about defensive efficiency like yards given per play, points given up per play and when/how most of that yardage was surrendered (for example, big plays versus steady yards). Were mediocre defenses more of a personnel issue or scheme? What about the rankings of the offenses faced? Any effect from how their own offense or special teams played? How did the defensive play effect the offense and special teams?

What are SFOs and VSFOs?

Archived