Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Here's my draft, what is yours? (Redskins 2010 Mock/Fantasy Draft)

Including trades and transactions. Reasoning and justification too.

First, trades:

Either:

Chris Cooley for the 42/44th picks (Patriots) and the 47/48th picks (Patriots).

Or Davis for the 67th pick (Bucs).

The former option may not seem overly palatable to many; Cooley is an elite TE, a high-character player and leader, and someone who gives his all on every play. And he's only 27. However, rolling the dice on Davis may produce huge dividends.

Laron Landry to the Kansas City Chiefs for the 68th pick.

I'm not sold on trading Landry yet, but he could work out next to Eric Berry, assuming they draft him.

Jason Campbell to the St. Louis Rams for the 65th pick in the NFL draft, and a 2011 2nd that may change into a first depending on performance.

We get solid value for Campbell and the chance to move in a new direction. It also lowers (but by no means eliminates) the chances of the Rams taking Jimmy Clausen.

Why I think these trades are viable:

1: Shockey went for 2 2nds, and Cooley is not only on par with Shockey, he's a better fit chemistry wise for the Pats. And I'd argue that their need is greater, as Welker will NOT be opening the season for New England.

2: Campbell is good enough to get a second from a team that badly needs a QB, unless they're set on taking Clausen/Bradford.

3: Landry was a top 10 pick not too long ago, and even last year he was mostly solid. A 3rd is probably not enough for him.

Assuming we trade Cooley, we now have:

Rd 1: #4

Rd 2: #37

Rd 2: #42

Rd 2: #47

Rd 3: #65

Rd 3: #68

Now, with these new picks, we make the following trade:

We trade the #37, #42, and #65 to the Buffalo Bills for the #9 pick.

So, our pick list changes to

Rd 1: #9

Rd 4: #101

Rd 5: #132

Rd 7: #196

(Rounds 4-7 are unknown to this point)

Now, it's time to draft!

Rd 1: #4 - Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame - Both Clausen and Bradford will be on the board, and while I like Bradford's release, accuracy, and intelligence, I don't like his shoulder and his lack of reading defenses in college. If Okung was on the board, I'd take him and hope Sam falls, but neither possibility is likely. So we take the franchise QB here.

Rd 1: #9 - Brian Bulaga, LT, Iowa - He might fall a bit based on mocks, and I admit this is bit of a reach, but he is athletic, tough, and nasty - i.e. a perfect fit for the ZBS. Campbell, Williams and Davis may be on the board, but I don't take Davis or Campbell because the former is a RT and the latter is too risky. I doubt Bulaga is taken before #9 though. Trent Williams is a great option here, or we can go with Rolando McClain if we decide not to take a tackle at all.

Rd 2: #37 - Sean Witherspoon, OLB, Missouri - Brandon Spikes imo would be a good long-term move in terms of replacing London Fletcher, but we need a OLB now to move Orakpo back to the line. A trade up may be required using one of next year's picks, but he's potentially the best 4-3 OLB in the draft. A RB like Gerhardt is tempting however, especially if we can find a change of pace speed back, or if Best falls. Witherspoon is fast, explosive, and smart, and is effective both in coverage and in the rush.

Rd 3: #68 - Jon Asamoah, OG, Illinois - God I hope that nobody notices how good he is. He got overshadowed by a terrible Illinois line but he is a first round talent and we would be incredibly fortunate to get him. He's strong, athletic, good at pulling, and is described as having great intangibles.

Rd 4: #101 - Mitch Petrus, OG, Alabama - My backup plan if Asamoah is off the board; and a possible candidate for center; he brings both strength and mobility to the table, but he's can struggle dealing with blitzes. However, the hope is that he can be coached by Shanahan's crew. Joe McKnight is an option here too - obviously elusive in the open field, and has great speed, but he isn't a between the tackles runner yet - however in a ZBS with our retooled line, he could thrive. At worst, he could be our KR/PR of the future. Consider trading up to get both.

Rd 5: #132 - Ed Wang, OT, Virginia - Athletic project lineman with some size and strength. Was a college TE, and has run a sup 5.00 40. Sounds like a Mike Shanahan/Alex Gibbs lineman!

Rd 7: #196 - LeGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon - Huge, huge, huge risk. Character issues, we all know about the punch, but he's had lots of run-ins with authority. We know Shanny won't put up with it. This seems like Mo Clarett all over again, but a 7th round pick is not much of a risk. And knowing what the guys we're bringing in have done with RBs, it seems like a risk I'm comfortable taking.

So, we get our franchise OT and QB in the same draft, really retool the O-Line with young talent, and get our starting SAM LB of the future. Seems like a pretty good draft, no?

Now, obviously no draft prediction is "realistic" - anything can happen between now and April. But this is an exercise in "what would you do" rather than "what will happen".

Please take the time to post similar ideas to this; I want to see in what direction people go. I feel I did my best to ensure these picks were decently researched, but I feel I could have done better, or that I missed guys that may have been better at the slots I put them, or that I am misjudging people's draft position (remember, this is pre-combine!) and I'm using 4ths to draft 1st and 2nds. Still, bear with me.

I dont see it hard to get 2 2nds for Cooley but no way in the world Buffalo takes that trade. Not even a chance. That trade is so horrible for Buffalo that it makes the rest of your post look bad. Now that for like the 24 pick MAYBE but not a Top 10 pick buddy. I do like who you picked with your picks though and I would be so excited about lyour draft EXCEPT I wouldnt want to trade Landry.

1. Imperium will always be a bigger, better football fan than I.

2. Imperium Must not work or socialize.

3. Heck of a job on the legwork and foresight to post this scenario. I just wait until a week before the draft and dig in. Who knows how it will all pan out but I'll check this thread after the draft.

We traded the 21, a 4th and change for mid-round seconds, so a high and middle-high second as well as a high 3rd doesn't make a 9-15 pick unreasonable.

We will get a good OT for this team with a pick between 10-15 no matter what, so I don't mind saying we trade that package for the 14th pick. The Seahawks have lots of needs, though they may be in love with Morgan at 14.

Bulaga could fall to the late 1st because he's smallish for a LT, despite his athleticism and intangibles.

Also, I just threw this together in an hour or so, it's not that great ._.

I think a second and fourth would be much more realistic than two seconds. To be safe I would just go with the precedent set by Shockey and K2 of a second and fifth.

Most teams aren't going to want to drop out of the top 10 without a lower first round pick involved or a top tier player. For that reason I think the Buffalo trade is somewhat unrealistic.

As far as your actual players selected I like where your head is at. I'm not familiar with all of them but no one seems to be a poor fit. The LaGarette Blount pick seems late for him. I realize teams will look down on him assaulting a player but from what I understand he was a first day prospect before the incident. Brandon Meriweather was involved in a shooting incident, in which he was found guilty of no crimes as it was self defense (but still worrisome considering Goodell's policies), and actively participated in the Miami-FIU brawl his senior season. Meriweather still went in the first round.

So while I believe Blount will drop I don't forsee that severe of a landslide.

Overall I appreciate your effort and wish I was more knowlegeable on the 2010 draft class to participate more in this discussion. Considering its still January and no trades yet to be made I'd say you're headed in the right direction.

Blount is generally expected to go round 7 by most mocks; he's had character issues other than the fight, and then, he really only had one great season.

I think Asamoah is one of THE sleepers of the draft: look at this analysis:

Pass blocking: Tough to beat in pass protection because of his length and anchor. Uses his long arms and re-adjusts hands when needed to keep his man at a distance. His pads get a bit tall but he manages to keep his lean and move his feet to stay in front. Extends his arms, does not punch. Must recover more quickly if punched or ripped off. Agile and flexible enough to pick up late blitzers, but needs to be more aware.

Run blocking: Excellent body control on the line and in space. Uses defender's momentum to take him out of the hole, but is also strong enough to turn a tackle. Strong on double teams; moves nose tackle well out of the hole. Allows defenders to get under his pads at times when blocking on the move. Does not drive block often in Minnesota's spread offense, but gets low and looks strong in goal-line situations.

Pulling/trapping: Moves well for a guard of his height. Gets around the center quickly to find a target when on the move. Runs a bit high; must sink his hips to keep leverage after contact. Effectively cut blocks, getting in front to prevent clipping calls.

Initial Quickness: Fires off the ball on run plays, staying low for his height and getting his hands up into a jersey quickly. Good quickness off the snap in pass protection.

Downfield: Very good feet, easily gets to second or third level and consistently hits the MIKE or another inside target. Smooth runner in space. Latches onto linebackers and does not let go - often putting them on the ground, unless he wants to move on to the next player. Must be more consistent keeping his feet through trash.

Intangibles: Excellent practice and weight room habits. Plays with some nastiness on the field, but is a jovial leader in the locker room. Awarded best effort award for last spring, along with an award for having the team's highest grades.

He's projected as a late 2nd to early 4th - imo, he's a 1st round talent.

Including trades and transactions. Reasoning and justification too.

First, trades:

Either:

Chris Cooley for the 42/44th picks (Patriots) and the 47/48th picks (Patriots).

Or Davis for the 67th pick (Bucs).

The former option may not seem overly palatable to many; Cooley is an elite TE, a high-character player and leader, and someone who gives his all on every play. And he's only 27. However, rolling the dice on Davis may produce huge dividends.

Laron Landry to the Kansas City Chiefs for the 68th pick.

I'm not sold on trading Landry yet, but he could work out next to Eric Berry, assuming they draft him.

Jason Campbell to the St. Louis Rams for the 65th pick in the NFL draft, and a 2011 2nd that may change into a first depending on performance.

We get solid value for Campbell and the chance to move in a new direction. It also lowers (but by no means eliminates) the chances of the Rams taking Jimmy Clausen.

Why I think these trades are viable:

1: Shockey went for 2 2nds, and Cooley is not only on par with Shockey, he's a better fit chemistry wise for the Pats. And I'd argue that their need is greater, as Welker will NOT be opening the season for New England.

2: Campbell is good enough to get a second from a team that badly needs a QB, unless they're set on taking Clausen/Bradford.

3: Landry was a top 10 pick not too long ago, and even last year he was mostly solid. A 3rd is probably not enough for him.

Assuming we trade Cooley, we now have:

Rd 2: #42

Rd 2: #47

Rd 3: #65

Now, with these new picks, we make the following trade:

We trade the #37, #42, and #65 to the Buffalo Bills for the #9 pick.

So, our pick list changes to

Rd 1: #9

Rd 4: #101

Rd 5: #132

Rd 7: #196

(Rounds 4-7 are unknown to this point)

Now, it's time to draft!

Rd 1: #4 - Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame - Both Clausen and Bradford will be on the board, and while I like Bradford's release, accuracy, and intelligence, I don't like his shoulder and his lack of reading defenses in college. If Okung was on the board, I'd take him and hope Sam falls, but neither possibility is likely. So we take the franchise QB here.

Rd 1: #9 - Brian Bulaga, LT, Iowa - He might fall a bit based on mocks, and I admit this is bit of a reach, but he is athletic, tough, and nasty - i.e. a perfect fit for the ZBS. Campbell, Williams and Davis may be on the board, but I don't take Davis or Campbell because the former is a RT and the latter is too risky. I doubt Bulaga is taken before #9 though. Trent Williams is a great option here, or we can go with Rolando McClain if we decide not to take a tackle at all.

Rd 2: #37 - Sean Witherspoon, OLB, Missouri - Brandon Spikes imo would be a good long-term move in terms of replacing London Fletcher, but we need a OLB now to move Orakpo back to the line. A trade up may be required using one of next year's picks, but he's potentially the best 4-3 OLB in the draft. A RB like Gerhardt is tempting however, especially if we can find a change of pace speed back, or if Best falls. Witherspoon is fast, explosive, and smart, and is effective both in coverage and in the rush.

Rd 3: #68 - Jon Asamoah, OG, Illinois - God I hope that nobody notices how good he is. He got overshadowed by a terrible Illinois line but he is a first round talent and we would be incredibly fortunate to get him. He's strong, athletic, good at pulling, and is described as having great intangibles.

Rd 4: #101 - Mitch Petrus, OG, Alabama - My backup plan if Asamoah is off the board; and a possible candidate for center; he brings both strength and mobility to the table, but he's can struggle dealing with blitzes. However, the hope is that he can be coached by Shanahan's crew. Joe McKnight is an option here too - obviously elusive in the open field, and has great speed, but he isn't a between the tackles runner yet - however in a ZBS with our retooled line, he could thrive. At worst, he could be our KR/PR of the future. Consider trading up to get both.

Rd 5: #132 - Ed Wang, OT, Virginia - Athletic project lineman with some size and strength. Was a college TE, and has run a sup 5.00 40. Sounds like a Mike Shanahan/Alex Gibbs lineman!

Rd 7: #196 - LeGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon - Huge, huge, huge risk. Character issues, we all know about the punch, but he's had lots of run-ins with authority. We know Shanny won't put up with it. This seems like Mo Clarett all over again, but a 7th round pick is not much of a risk. And knowing what the guys we're bringing in have done with RBs, it seems like a risk I'm comfortable taking.

So, we get our franchise OT and QB in the same draft, really retool the O-Line with young talent, and get our starting SAM LB of the future. Seems like a pretty good draft, no?

Now, obviously no draft prediction is "realistic" - anything can happen between now and April. But this is an exercise in "what would you do" rather than "what will happen".

Please take the time to post similar ideas to this; I want to see in what direction people go. I feel I did my best to ensure these picks were decently researched, but I feel I could have done better, or that I missed guys that may have been better at the slots I put them, or that I am misjudging people's draft position (remember, this is pre-combine!) and I'm using 4ths to draft 1st and 2nds. Still, bear with me.

Great draft man. I wish it could happen.

Until we hear credible sources even begin to leak our rumors of Landry and Cooley being traded, its way too hard to predict and bank on trades.

IMO there are 2 scenarios in the draft as of now.

Scenario 1:

Round 1- QB- Bradford/Clausen

Round 2- OL (OTs) Charles Brown/Jason Fox (OGs) Jon Asamoah, Iupati(who will probably be gone)

Round 4- (OL- whichever wasn't taken in round 2) Zane Beadles/Mitch Petrus/Selvish Capers

Scenario 2:

Round 1- OL: Okung/Campbell

Round 2- QB: Snead/McCoy/Canfield/Tebow(yuck)/Pike(yuck)

Round 4- OL: Beadles/Petrus

I would really love the 2nd scenario. Take Okung, Snead, Beadles. The o-linemen are self explanatory. Snead has all the physical tools of a 1st round QB, but his decision making was inexcusable this year. Think Jay Cutler, and was Shanny not the coach who drafted Cutler?

Scenario 1 would be a safer bet though.

I don't get where the heck you all come up with these trade ideas.

It's like people think trades are the easiest thing in the world to happen and do so constantly.

Heck, let's start posting mock drafts where we trade:

Cooley (he's good)

Davis (potential upside)

Landry

Portis

Sellers

Moss

Carter

Fletcher

McIntosh

Hall

Horton

etc

We can get 2nd rounders or 3rd rounders for all em, that way, our draft board could look like this!

1st Round - 1 pick

2nd Round - 10 picks

3rd Round - 0 picks

4th Round - 2 picks (Sellers on a prayer adds one here!)

---------------

It just gets ridiculous when people come up with all these silly trade ideas that have a slim chance of even remotely happening it the way they want it to.

I would really love the 2nd scenario. Take Okung, Snead, Beadles. The o-linemen are self explanatory. Snead has all the physical tools of a 1st round QB, but his decision making was inexcusable this year. Think Jay Cutler, and was Shanny not the coach who drafted Cutler?

I dunno man, Snead stats are pretty bad compared to Cutler's senior year. I really can't get behind someone who throws a pick for every touchdown, and only has 54% accuracy

(guessing Chris Samules retires)

trade with the 49ers our 4 for their 13 45 and 77 (adds up almost perfectly on the draft trade chart )

1rd-13. Anthony Davis- meet our franchise left tackle very athletic would fit well in shannys system

2rd-36. Navarro Bowman- seen him go as high as 14th and as low 43 so im not crazy very athletic this way we can put orakpo on the line

2rd-45. Jason Fox- move him to rt or just somewhere on the line

3rd-77. Dexter McCluster-fast back that will do very well in a cutback system

4rd-100. Selvish Capers- I know three tackles in one draft may sound crazy but if we cant move him any where else on the line it still be nice to have one solid back up linemen we can count on

5rd-132. Trindon Holliday- Man is very very very fast however he is only 5-5 but that didnt stop him in college and i dont think it will stop him in the nfl imagine a kick or punt return for a td !!!!

7rd-196 Daryll Clark- I could never get a read on him in college great in almost every game he started however he struggled in some of the big time games but that was also due to psu poor protection in some of those games idk 7th rd y not just take a chance

I also think the qbs in next years draft will be better and more develop than the ones in this years so spend the 2011 1st rd pick on qb if it isnt solved yet.

Redskins trade 1st rd. 4th pick to 49ers for 1st rd. 13th pick, 2nd 13th pick, and 3rd 13th pick. Redskins trade 1st rd. 13th pick and Laron Landry to Patriots for 1st 22nd pick, 2nd 22nd pick, 3rd 22nd pick and 6th 22nd pick.

• 1st 22nd Trent Williams T OK

• 2nd 4th Jahvid Best RB CAL

• 2nd 13th Arthur Jones DT/DE Syracuse

• 2nd 22nd Mike Iupati G Idaho

• 3rd 13th Vladmir Ducasse G/T UMASS

• 3rd 22nd Dorian Porch S Virginia Tech

• 4th 4th Crezdon Butler CB Clemson

• 5th 4th Casey Bender G South Dakota ST.

• 6th 22nd Corey Jackson FB Maryland

• 7th 4th Bakari Grant WR UC Davis

Other than a situation in which Okung AND Clausen AND Suh are off the board, I just don't think we should trade down. If Seattle loves Bradford, we bluff as hard as we can to filch those two firsts from them, using the Niners as a bargaining chip. We then take McClain at 6, Bulaga at 14, and McCoy at 36. We need an anchor, either at QB or LT, or even at DT. One impact player can trump several "good" players, especially if you're good (as any contending team should be) at finding gems in free agency.

I consider that a really bad case scenario, where we don't get our franchise QB but we get our franchise tackle and OLB, and pray McCoy turns out to be something (I like him though but he's a risk)

Under NO circumstances do we take Bradford #4. Unless we want to become the answer to the future trivia question "Who was the draft bust of the decade at QB"? Bradford is a project - he needs to go to a relatively stable team that can afford to sit him for 2 years...which is not the Redskins. I do think the Shanahans can work their magic on him though, but Clausen is a sure thing in my eyes.

To me, JC's downside is a more accurate Jake Plummer, his upside is a slightly downgraded Tony Romo sits to pee with more clutch.

My draft - I'll assume no trades since we can't really predict it at this point

1st - Bradford(QB)/Davis(OT

2nd - Brown(OT)/Iputi(OG)/Calloway(OT)?

4th - McCluster(RB)/Petrus(OG)/Hardesty(RB)/Beadles(OT)

5th - Edds(LB)/Rico McCoy(LB)

7th - BPA - OC/FS/QB/OG/CB

If we could trade a player for a 2nd rounder Id go Williams(DT)/Best(RB)/Weatherspoon(LB)

My draft - I'll assume no trades since we can't really predict it at this point)

I don't think there's much we can predict at this point. I've seen too many players touted as sure fire top 10 picks fall into the mid 2nd round. Or "2nd round quality" OGs get picked in the 4th-5th rounds. Since we are playing GM I applaud the OP for looking at the big picture and seeing whether there are quality players on the current roster that don't add value (or as much value) as a potential investment in another position.

Personally, I think that Campbell is slowly maturing into the position. I think that he will continue to improve if Shanny brings back play action passes and roll outs. Skins can win with Campbell. So I'm really hoping that the planets align and Skins can get a lot of players to completely re-tool the OL. A new RB, SLB and someone to take over the FS position would be great. I'm happy with Doughty at SS but not at FS. Landry can go.

Archived