Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will you buy a 3D TV?

NOLASKINSFAN

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-10466032-260.html

Sony's first model will have a 46-inch screen for 350,000 yen or $3,875. That's steep compared to the non-3D equivalent TV Sony already sells for $2,100, but it is new technology. Each set will come with two pairs of 3D glasses.

So is a 3D really worth an extra $1700? Especially right now since there is nothing being offered in 3D. Only ESPN and the Discovery Channel have said they will show things in 3D. Plus you'll have to buy a new blu-ray player to watch these 3D movies.

Plus you'll need some of these too: http://gizmodo.com/5489070/would-you-pay-133-for-sonys-3d-glasses

Alongside Sony's upcoming 3D-capable LCD sets, the company has announced standalone shutter glasses and an infrared emitter to drive them. For a family of four, the 3D upgrade would cost $587.

WOW, you guys are really so far behind. I've had 3D TV for quite a while now. It's called a WINDOW! Yes, that's right, just take a look out of a window, any window, and you'll see everything in 3D, and it will also be in surround sound. There is something better though. Walk through the front door and you can actually immerse yourself, be a part of that 3D experience.

But seriously, if all it takes for 3D TV to work is a pair of glasses and a decoder box, why have the TV in the first place? Why not just have the glasses linked directly to the decoder?

Alright, so here's my long awaited rant about 3DTV. I know you all have been DYING to read my thoughts on the subject so I won't delay any longer. So here's why I won't be buying a 3D TV. First off, the broadcast market is yet to support 1080p or 120Hz feeds. How the **** do they expect to be able to show 3D if they are yet to even support two of the major components of 3DTV? Secondly, those glasses look GOD AWFUL and they will run around $200 for the Samsung ones. And third of all, the TVs are just too ****ing expensive for something that most people will not use for at least a few years.

3D TV is years away and the market is just not ready for it. Stick with your 1080p and 120Hz TVs people, do NOT buy in to the 3D hype yet. I will say though, the 3DTV demo we got in our store looks pretty ****ing sweet. I still wouldn't buy one though.

My roommate already bought one. He got a 60" Mitsubishi DLP for $900. Its 1080p, 120 Hz and he plays games and watches downloaded movies on it in 3D using the nVidia 3D glasses and his computer. Apparently, the official Mitsubishi glasses are dropping next month and then we're hooking up the PS3 for some 3D Blu Ray. This thing is amazing, and the quality of the 3D with shutter glasses is better than the effect using polarized in Imax 3D (not the weird discoloration on transparent objects like glass or smoke). If anyone is interested in jumping in soon I suggest going with one of the Mitsubishi DLPs, they start at about $700 for 50", I believe, and go up from that to a few thousand for 82". Really amazing experience!

My roommate already bought one. He got a 60" Mitsubishi DLP for $900. Its 1080p, 120 Hz and he plays games and watches downloaded movies on it in 3D using the nVidia 3D glasses and his computer. Apparently, the official Mitsubishi glasses are dropping next month and then we're hooking up the PS3 for some 3D Blu Ray. This thing is amazing, and the quality of the 3D with shutter glasses is better than the effect using polarized in Imax 3D (not the weird discoloration on transparent objects like glass or smoke). If anyone is interested in jumping in soon I suggest going with one of the Mitsubishi DLPs, they start at about $700 for 50", I believe, and go up from that to a few thousand for 82". Really amazing experience!

I think you've got something wrong somewhere. It's the Nvidia software on the computer that allows him to watch 3D, not the TV. It has to be 120Hz (if I'm not mistaken) but it is definitely the Nvidia program, not the TV.

I think you've got something wrong somewhere. It's the Nvidia software on the computer that allows him to watch 3D, not the TV. It has to be 120Hz (if I'm not mistaken) but it is definitely the Nvidia program, not the TV.

Yes, its a 120Hz TV. It uses nVidia drivers, glasses and an IR emitter that you plug into your computer to sync with the glasses. It also has a port on the back for the IR emitter that will come with the official Mitsubishi 3D glasses that are launching any day now and will allow to watch 3D from our DirecTV HD-DVR or PS3 through one of the HDMI ports when they are upgraded with new firmware in the next few months.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/mitsubishis-projection-hdtvs-get-an-adapter-to-deal-with-blu-ra/

A 60" 3D TV for $900? What drugs are you on? 3D capable, maybe. Even my 18" POS TV can display 3D movies, but I need the glasses to see the effect.

What's the 3D look like WITHOUT the computer?

The 3D is amazing, 60fps for each eye makes it super smooth (much better than Avatar as far as smoothness) and its all HD (his video card isn't the most amazing so we stick with 720p but I think 1080p is possible as well.

This is the one he got from Dell, but they were selling it for $100 less last month (now its $999) and he got 12 months interest free and free shipping:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Video_Conferencing/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A3092263

Notice in the tech specs under connectors - "1 x 3D glasses - rear"

They are currently selling the 65" for $999 as well:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Video_Conferencing/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A3092265

The 73" is $1499 and the 82" is $3999 from Dell, they used to sell the 50" for $699 but I guess its out of stock now. The bulbs last about 2-3 years and replacements are $99 shipped from Mitsubishi. The LaserView TVs are even better and also offer the same 3D capability, 120Hz, and 1080p but are a bit more expensive.

I just had an amazing 3D experience. I went outside, jumped in my car and drove down the street. It was just like being in a game like GTA, but without all the violence.

The 3D rendering of buildings and surroundings was brilliant, as was the rendering of people. So much time and effort must have gone in to all that detail. The sound was also outstanding. Noise coming from all directions made for the perfect surround sound system.

I may have to got outside more often!

I just had an amazing 3D experience. I went outside, jumped in my car and drove down the street. It was just like being in a game like GTA, but without all the violence.

The 3D rendering of buildings and surroundings was brilliant, as was the rendering of people. So much time and effort must have gone in to all that detail. The sound was also outstanding. Noise coming from all directions made for the perfect surround sound system.

I may have to got outside more often!

Your shtick wasn't funny the first time and still isn't now. Thanks for trying though.

In addition, DLP is naturally a better suited technology than LCD for 3D. I believe my roommates TV has an internal refresh rate of 480hz so even when it is running at 120hz in 3D (60hz each eye - well not exactly it uses a checkerboard method) it shows each frame four times. With the LCDs, at 120Hz there is still some ghosting so the 3D is "muddier". Therefore, technically speaking, my roommates $900 60" TV will do better 3D than a $3000+ Samsung, Sharp, or Sony LCD. If anyone is interested in 3D, DLP or plasma is the only way to go right now for the best 3D effect and the Panasonic and LG plasmas will not be coming out for months.

In addition, DLP is naturally a better suited technology than LCD for 3D. I believe my roommates TV has an internal refresh rate of 480hz so even when it is running at 120hz in 3D (60hz each eye - well not exactly it uses a checkerboard method) it shows each frame four times. With the LCDs, at 120Hz there is still some ghosting so the 3D is "muddier". Therefore, technically speaking, my roommates $900 60" TV will do better 3D than a $3000+ Samsung, Sharp, or Sony LCD. If anyone is interested in 3D, DLP or plasma is the only way to go right now for the best 3D effect and the Panasonic and LG plasmas will not be coming out for months.

Too bad that your roommates DLP has terrible viewing angles and the bulb will blow out every 2 years. Have fun replacing that thing.

Too bad that your roommates DLP has terrible viewing angles and the bulb will blow out every 2 years. Have fun replacing that thing.

The viewing angles are great, the TV's in a small room. Oh yeah and bulbs are $99 shipped from Mitsubishi, it would take ~50 years of heavy use for that to add up to the same price as a $3000+ LCD ($900 for the TV + $99 every two years).

Alright, so here's my long awaited rant about 3DTV. I know you all have been DYING to read my thoughts on the subject so I won't delay any longer. So here's why I won't be buying a 3D TV. First off, the broadcast market is yet to support 1080p or 120Hz feeds. How the **** do they expect to be able to show 3D if they are yet to even support two of the major components of 3DTV? Secondly, those glasses look GOD AWFUL and they will run around $200 for the Samsung ones. And third of all, the TVs are just too ****ing expensive for something that most people will not use for at least a few years.

3D TV is years away and the market is just not ready for it. Stick with your 1080p and 120Hz TVs people, do NOT buy in to the 3D hype yet. I will say though, the 3DTV demo we got in our store looks pretty ****ing sweet. I still wouldn't buy one though.

I was thinking the same thing myself. We still don't have TV shows in 1080p and everyone is already moving to 3D. I just think 3D TV will be a huge bust.

I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D and Alice in Wonderland in Disney Digital 3D. Avatar looked so much better in IMAX because the screen is so damn big and takes up the entire wall. When I saw Alice in Wonderland my eyes were killing me because my eyes kept trying to focus on the smaller screen. I couldn't imagine trying to watch 3D on a 46" TV. It would be painful.

I'm sorry, but 3-D in my living room is just too much for me. I feel the same way about this as I did about the sixth sense device. Maybe I'm ol'skool, but I'm not feeling it at all.

I had a thought about putting color changing glass panes on a tv to simulate the the 3-D glasses. When you want to see 3-D, turn to a 3-D station and change the settings on the tv for the panes to translate the picture for you. Done with 3-D, turn the setting off, and the panes all change color to clear. Make the panes out of a glass mixture that changes colors when activated by electricity, such as red, blue, and green.

Just an idea, for you crazy 3-D people out there. :)

Edit - Technically, isn't a 3-D TV already 4-D?

Archived