Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Riggins record

frankez99

So HONESTLY, how many of you wanted Clinton Portis to break John Riggins Redskin rushing record?

Not me.

Ron McNeal be damned....as much as everyone tells me to quit dusting off those old Redskin Superbowl trophies...

Riggins owns that record.

Clinton Portis is part of the TOXIC atmosphere that has to be expelled. He never knew the concept of "chain of command".

Hail.

To be fair, the "toxic atmosphere" created by Riggo and others probably cost us the Superbowl against the Raiders.

Both CP and Riggo are egomaniacs. Both have their positives and their flaws. I don't care at this point whether or not CP breaks the record, I just want us to have a solid RB again.

I am glad Portis is not the Redskins all time rushing leader.

And I hope he doesn't get another opportunity to break the record.

House cleaning must be done.

I just want us to have a solid RB again.

I would be fine with a couple of solid running backs.

But that might being greedy. :/

I love that the Redskins record is tied to Redskins glory. If you say Riggo you think of great Redskin years and great Redskins' teams. If Portis gets it, you think of mediocre or garbage teams. Portis was a better athlete. Riggins was a better Redskin.

I hope Clinton gets his head right, sticks around, and breaks the record. Even if it's only by 1 yard.

Riggins, if he played in today's era, would BE, Clinton Portis. Probably worse. And, slower.

Riggins, behind the lines Portis has had over the course of his time here, likely wouldn't even have been an average back.

Portis, behind the Hogs for that same amount of time, would have probably already caught Jim Brown on the all-time yardage list.

Larry Brown, was better than Riggins or Portis.

It would make little or no difference to me, and Riggins was one of my favorite players ever.

Neither of the guys were "toxic" as someone said. They were just handled differently than their teammates and neither was what one would call a leader.

In Riggin's case this worked fine. But he also had very different teammates, and spent the glory days of his career on a very different team.

Clinton plays(ed) in a very different era, and with a very different team. With him, the special treatment has been a disaster and he lacks Riggin's sense of what it takes to be a top flight player. In a different environment Portis would be much better. Obviously.

PS. Riggins was a remarkable athlete and talent. Why people think he was slow I have no idea. He was a 250-260 pounder who could break away from DBs in a foot race.

To be fair, the "toxic atmosphere" created by Riggo and others probably cost us the Superbowl against the Raiders. .

Get that revisionist history BS out of here.

Yeah, Riggins convinced the WHOLE team to take the SuperBowl lightly,go out and paint the town.

I can't believe the hatred that exists for one of our all time greats.

Sickening.

I love Riggins but if Clinton breaks the record he breaks it......I don't care who owns the record, both of them worked hard for does yards. CP has been playing for a long time, but he is only 28!. If Shanahan can make him good again and he restructures his deal he can run for 3 á 4 season, he should then play the Jerome Bettis end of career role. Then in 2 years he could grab it and he earned it.

To be fair, the "toxic atmosphere" created by Riggo and others probably cost us the Superbowl against the Raiders.

Both CP and Riggo are egomaniacs. Both have their positives and their flaws. I don't care at this point whether or not CP breaks the record, I just want us to have a solid RB again.

The Raiders cost us that superbowl. That was an arse whippin' of biblical proportions.

Not sure. I think Riggins managed to have fun with versus at. I don't recall him ever going after team mates or his line and I remember him goofing around all the time with the Hogs. Sure, he was a nut... but he was more of a good natured goofball (kind of like Clinton was when he first got here). Maybe with less winning Riggins would have turned sour and put a knife in his o-line's back or Portis with more winning would still be wearing goofy costumes and making us all laugh.

Sadly, we won't know. The thing about Riggins is I think when he did damage he did it to himself. He didn't set fire to those around him (at least during his playing days)

I would LOVE to see Clinton break Riggins record.

This guy had to change his whole running style to fit a more physical,bruising type run game. How likely is it that he (Chris Samuels,Santana Moss) will get a Superbowl ring here with the Redskins?? They have spent their best years on teams that has very little success. I hope whatever career accomplishments they can achieve, they are able to.

There's "artistic license" being used to the full.

The Raiders playing one heck of a ball game on the day back in Tampa, and a certain fellow back called Marcus Allen had a game of games, against the number one run stop D over the year.

THAT'S what cost us the SB. Not any "toxic atmosphere" on arguably the best team in league history. Certainly ours.

Riggo had just come off the back of his best ever year, in carries, yards and TD's, which he led the team and league in I seem to recall in setting a new NFL record for rushing TD's; and had a great post season to boot. He was integral to both the offense as a whole, and the respect and confidence he generated in his team mates.

And he got the only TD in that loss too to the Raiders.

Not a bad year for someone creating such a "toxic atmosphere" huh? :doh:

Hail.

Get that revisionist history BS out of here.

Yeah, Riggins convinced the WHOLE team to take the SuperBowl lightly,go out and paint the town.

I can't believe the hatred that exists for one of our all time greats.

Sickening.

Says the guy with the Riggo screen name. I'm sure there's no bias on your part, I mean, it certainly doesn't look like you are going over board in your post at all, lol.

Where did I say I hated him? Reading comprhension is better than just flying off the handle.

But you're right. The constant drinking by Riggins and the Hogs, Joey T. always wanting in their group, and them all getting tanked the night before the Superbowl bore no impact on the game, lol.

I can't believe some people get so worked up if older Skins are criticized, yet have no problems running current guys are bashed.

Riggins "dark heart" comment was sickening, IMO.

I can't believe some people get so worked up if older Skins are criticized, yet have no problems running current guys are bashed.

Riggins "dark heart" comment was sickening, IMO.

I can't believe some people get so worked up if older Skins criticize the team, yet have no problems when current guys bash the team.

You think Riggins comments bug you, wait until Portis isn't on the roster. I can assure you he will have more negativity to the team then Riggins ever did. :D

I can't believe some people get so worked up if older Skins criticize the team, yet have no problems when current guys bash the team.

You think Riggins comments bug you, wait until Portis isn't on the roster. I can assure you he will have more negativity to the team then Riggins ever did. :D

Where did I say I have no problems with current players bashing the team?

The point was that poster got so worked up over a criticism of Riggins, yet has "Jason Campbell Sucks" in his sig.

And to others: my first post I put toxic atmosphere in quotation marks for a reason, and I was talking about the drinking etc. that went on on a regular basis then culminated in some players doing it the night before the Superbowl. It's not a healthy attitude on a team, no matter the era. Point being, while people want to criticize CP for being "toxic" or whatever, they turn a blind eye at the transgressions of Riggins in the same breath, but he's excused because the team won a Superbowl with him.

Both CP and Riggins have their good aspects and their flaws. Neither should be ignored, which is what it seemed, to me, the OP was doing. I said in my first post CP and Riggins had good and bad things, but everyone apparently decided to gloss over that and make assumptions about my post instead. Oh well.

so honestly, how many of you wanted clinton portis to break john riggins redskin rushing record?

Not me.

Ron mcneal be damned....as much as everyone tells me to quit dusting off those old redskin superbowl trophies...

Clinton portis is part of the toxic atmosphere that has to be expelled. He never knew the concept of "chain of command".

Hail.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

So HONESTLY, how many of you wanted Clinton Portis to break John Riggins Redskin rushing record?

Not me.

Ron McNeal be damned....as much as everyone tells me to quit dusting off those old Redskin Superbowl trophies...

Clinton Portis is part of the TOXIC atmosphere that has to be expelled. He never knew the concept of "chain of command".

Hail.

i recall reading threads about that and to my shock, majority of posters were on portis side. most claimed tht portis was the better back and that he would break the record, kind of degrading riggins while saying it.

now, everybody hates portis and has ill feelings towards him. LOL unreal i tell ya.

Archived