Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking for good eateries in Portland OR.

SlobberknockerSkinsFan

I'm flying out from Memphis tomorrow afternoon for a business trip next week to Portland, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some good places to dine after work next week. My preferences are traditional German cuisine, and authentic Italian as well. If anyone that lives in Portland, or is familiar with the area can give me some good places, it would be great! Also they would need to accept AMEX, since the company is covering my expenses.

Thanks for your help team...

We visited Portland a few years ago. I can't think of specific names, but all of the microbreweries (& there are a lot) have good food. One place we really wanted to go, but didn't get a chance is Voodoo Donut. It's supposed to be a must see place in Portland if you have time.

We visited Portland a few years ago. I can't think of specific names, but all of the microbreweries (& there are a lot) have good food. One place we really wanted to go, but didn't get a chance is Voodoo Donut. It's supposed to be a must see place in Portland if you have time.
Portland, OR?

I have some friends there...I'll see if I can get some suggestions. What part of town will you be in? do you mind driving much ?

Have fun, its a great city to visit. Pretty liberal and most every time I've been there, people are really friendly. Gonna be rainy/cold though...

So I landed last night, and you were right about the rainy/cool part... But hey it's an improvement from Memphis where we've had below freezing temps and snow... Thanks for all those that gave me suggestions. I will be trying out Rheinlander and Gustav's for sure while I'm here. I'll see if I can find this Voodoo Donut too... And I'll definetely have to try Nichola's as well. Never had Lebanese cuisine so I'm sure it will be a treat...

Thanks for all the suggestions, and if anyone has any more, please add them. I have 4 1/2 days to stuff myself on the company dime!!!:point2sky

there are more strip clubs per capita in portland than anywhere else in the US

Have fun :)

I used to travel there- there is a great mom&pop italian restaurant that my friend used to take me to- but damit I forgot the name of it.

Not really the type of "eateries" I was looking for...:laugh: Don't quite think Con-Way would let me expense that off the AMEX... And I need my personal money for other "activities" while I'm here... :silly:

Grilled Cheese Grill! its a local favorite in Portland. A little small business mom and pop, this guy runs good sammich and soup place in northwest Portland. Its run of of a trailer, and you eat your food on an old school bus.

By FAR one of the coolest dining experiences I've ever had! FOOD WAS DELICIOUS! While visiting Portland for 5 days, we went there 3 times!

7.-h-wd0809-The-Grilled-Cheese-Grill.jpg

Street_Food_GrilledCheese.jpg

df09_06_26_trailer.jpg

you'll have to report back on what you enjoyed..have fun!

Oh I will... I did get the chance to visit a Fred Meyer store a little while ago on lunch, had to get a B/T headset and when I went in there I was blown away.... Wal who??? This store has anything and everything you could ever need. Their deli area is incredible, and the Turkey Club Panini is insanely good!!!

Here's a list I made up before I just went out there over Christmas:

Bunk Sandwiches

621 SE Morrison

Portland, OR 97214

(503) 477-9515

Blueplate Lunch Counter

308 SW Washington St

Portland, OR 97204

(503) 295-2583

Pine State Biscuits

3540 SE Belmont St

Portland, OR 97214

(503) 236-3346

Otto's Sausage Kitchen

4138 SE Woodstock Blvd

Portland, OR 97202

Tel: (503) 771-6714

Arleta Library Bakery * Cafe

5513 SE 72nd at Harold

Portland, OR 97206

(503) 774-4470

Byways Cafe

1212 NW Glisan St.

Portland, OR 97209

Tel: (503) 221-0011

Podnah's Pit BBQ

1469 NE Prescott

Portland, OR 97211

Tel: (503) 281-3700

Pok Pok

3226 SE Division Street

Portland, OR 97202

Tel: (503) 232-1387

Stepping Stone Cafe

2390 NW Quimby Street

Portland, OR 97210

Voodoo Doughnut

22 SW 3rd Avenue

Portland, OR 97204

Salvador Molly's

1523 SW Sunset Boulevard

Portland, OR 97239

Unfortunately several of them that we tried to go to were closed when we stopped by. Pine State Biscuits had a line out the door so we skipped that as well. Fortunately Voodoo Donuts only had a short line at 4 in the afternoon, so that was good. We also made it to Salvador Molly's which was good as well, but also very busy.

Portland has AWESOME food. Their happy hours are legendary.

First off go to Voodoo doughnuts and get a bacon maple bar. MUST GO.

Ringside steakhouse and Portland City Grill are both good options.

Yes, I had that bacon maple bar when we stopped by. Excellent.

Holy cow that's a list there China...

So I went to McMenamins www.mcmenamins.com which is within walking distance to the facility here. It's a microbrewery, and has a very down home feel to it. The food and service was excellent, as I enjoyed the Hogshead Salmon sandwich with a side of Northwest Clam Chowder. Very good salmon, basted with an excellent whiskey sauce and garnished with red onion, tomato, lettuce and mayo.

Tonight I will be giving Rheinlander a shot and see how the food and bier is there. Last night I was so tired still from the flight that I just ordered a Carne pizza with a side of anchovies from Eat Pizza. I wanted a local non-chain establishment, and it was good as well and I would suggest trying it for anyone who visits. It's a New York style pizza and was quickly delivered, and then devoured...:cool2:

Well....how was it.

Incredible food, and excellent bier!!! I had the Rheinlander Berner plate which was 3 sausages, mashed potatoes, kraut, and purple cabbage with apples... The fondue and rolls that came before the main course was just as outstanding. It's definetely something that anyone who comes here should experience... They even had an accordion player going, and when he asked where everyone was from and I told him Memphis, he started playing Rocky Top... I told him I was from the wrong side of the state for that, and that some lame rap music would be more appropriate. Thank god he didn't try to play any...

Incredible food, and excellent bier!!! I had the Rheinlander Berner plate which was 3 sausages, mashed potatoes, kraut, and purple cabbage with apples... The fondue and rolls that came before the main course was just as outstanding. It's definetely something that anyone who comes here should experience... They even had an accordion player going, and when he asked where everyone was from and I told him Memphis, he started playing Rocky Top... I told him I was from the wrong side of the state for that, and that some lame rap music would be more appropriate. Thank god he didn't try to play any...

Good deal. I love that place to....have had many a big night there.

So tonight I went with the idea to try some Middle Eastern cuisine... I wanted a place off the normal, so I chose Aladdin's Cafe. It was a very small eatery, and much like most small places the food was incredible. A very personable GORGEOUS middle eastern waitress brought me a menu as soon as I walked in the doors, and could tell it was going to be good from that point on. Now I know it's probably gonna be somewhat cliche' when I say this, but I see why Zohan had hummus (actually it's spelled homous) constantly around. Very good, and you could tell this was freshly prepared and not from a jar even though this was the first I've ever tried it. I then enjoyed the traditional Lamb kabobs served over basmati rice with a wonderful glass of Lebanese Mont Blanc. And I finished it all off with a nice hot cup of Turkish coffee. It reminded me of a latte', but with a much deeper nuttier hue... Just an incredible experience all in all!

Archived