Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan..:Don't Bring Back Jerry Gray

authentic

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/322752-mike-shanahan-and-the-washington-redskins-dont-bring-back-jerry-gray

Going into next season, the Redskins need an objective look at this roster. The first mistake of Mike Shanahan’s tenure would be to re-sign and promote Jerry Gray from secondary coach to defensive coordinator.

Gray still hangs onto flawed optimism, resting his belief on the precept that the Redskins are a talented football team. There’s no room for that opinion after a 4-12 season.

“I’ve been on teams where you go to the Super Bowl, we didn’t have as much talent as we did here, but the guys understand how to go out and play football,” Gray said to Kelli Johnson of Comcast SportsNet after the season’s final game.

After losing to the San Diego Chargers' second- and third-string players, shouldn’t that a humble a football team, a coaching staff, and an organization?

At Mike Shanahan’s introductory press conference, he flatly said that you are your record. Since the Redskins went 4-12, they are a terrible football team, devoid of talent.

That’s the angle the coaching staff and front office need to take and don’t give a single player the benefit of the doubt. Hold everyone accountable.

Which brings us back to Jerry Gray, who led the worst part of the defense: the secondary. If anyone should be held accountable for all the big passing plays the Redskins allowed and the lack of improvement by anyone in the secondary, it should be Jerry Gray.

In just three seasons, LaRon Landry has gone from first-round draft pick and rising star to bordering on Roy Williams territory. Landry isn’t a playmaker, isn’t a big hitter, and is non-existent in coverage.

Even though he usually begins the play 20-30 yards behind the line of scrimmage, it seems impossible that he is consistently in the wrong place, takes poor angles in run support, and that he can’t tackle big or elusive running backs.

Carlos Rodgers had many of the same problems that Landry did with double moves and getting beaten for big plays. It got so bad that he was benched for Fred Smoot.

That’s two former first-round picks in the secondary alone that are getting worse under the tutelage of Jerry Gray.

As for DeAngelo Hall, he was great in coverage this year, but remains a poor tackler. It goes well beyond not being able to take down Jake Delhomme, because everyone ran screen after screen against the Redskins because the secondary was so poor in tackling.

If Jerry Gray can’t even run Hall through some basic tackling drills, what exactly is he teaching?

The Washington Redskins need to begin an objective rebuilding process and cut all ties to the 2009 season. That includes everyone on an inept coaching staff that rarely had the players prepared.

While I don't know how good a coach Gray is b/c I feel he was probably just following Blanche's orders, I would prefer the Redskins just get rid of everyone from the previous staff, and have Shanahan start with a clean slate.

Definitely.

This is what the first time in a decade that we've started anew in the front office? Please, clean out any memory of what existed here before.

While I don't know how good a coach Gray is b/c I feel he was probably just following Blanche's orders, I would prefer the Redskins just get rid of everyone from the previous staff, and have Shanahan start with a clean slate.

this is the way I am leaning, especially with all the Rooney Rule stuff and Zorn ... we don't need any more media distractions, or anything linking us to the Vinny cerrato era. Cut the chord and bring on Zimmer!

I second that. We need everything from the last few years scrubed clean.

I concur. It's time to change somethings. The last time there was an overhall on defense was when George Edwards defense was here before Gregg Williams came with Gibbs. The only thing is the defense finished in the top ten regardless of the poor tackling and getting beat downfield on numerous occasion.

I don't want Carlos Rogers back. I don't really care for Smoot. Smoot is not what he used to be. LaRon Landry in my opinion just had an off/bad year. He might bounce back. DeAngelo Hall disappointed me at times too, but he's the best cover CB the Redskins have. Justin Tyron and Kevin Barnes have potential, and one of them needs to step up to nickle back status in 2010. However, the Redskins can find a replacement for Rogers in free agency.

As far as Zimmer or Jim Mora Jr., I think one of them would work out just fine.

I agree. I thought all season that our Defense was way overrated. Sure they had great stats but in the games they always faltered went it counted most. We could have one at least 3 more games if the D had stood their ground on some opponents' final drives. The secondary was one of the blemishes of our D anyway IMO. Hall, Rogers, Smoot, Landry....they were all getting burned, played way too far off the line, and couldnt catch an INT to save their life (cept Hall). It's time to start anew.

New coaches will force players out of their comfort zone. No more favorites or believing that coaches know what you are capable of because of your past. Players will have to impress their new coaches to become starters, not live off some relationship or plays from the previous year because " They remember what you can do".

Players will have to fight to impress the new coaches and the competition will only make us better.

This may be true, but if Gray was following Blache's orders knowing they were poor decisions or just ineffective, that makes him just as bad a coach as Blache.

Which brings us back to Jerry Gray, who led the worst part of the defense: the secondary. If anyone should be held accountable for all the big passing plays the Redskins allowed and the lack of improvement by anyone in the secondary, it should be Jerry Gray.

This is SO true.

I want to clean house and definitely don't think Gray has earned a promotion.

I've been reading a few threads here today and come to a conclusion. I think Coach S decided this is a chance for him to build HIS team. It's like we got nothing to work with.

Is this his chance to get away from the Elway history? He's got Snyder with bottomless wallet. Rebuild O-line, QB, RB, Defense. All new coaches. This team looks like a train wreck.

I think he sees this as his chance to build his legacy. He was handed a good team in Denver, and acussed of it gradually declining. So he is still young enough to do it.

Here's to a new regime.

This is kind of what I've been saying, especially with people calling for Gray as DC. I don't think it was all his fault, and he's done better in the past, but at this point I don't even want him near the DBs, let alone giving him the DC job.

well one of the biggest knocks against the Zorn hiring was the fact that he didn't bring in his own staff (or rather he couldn't). Well now that we have a real and experienced leader for HC, he should definately do what ever he wants with the staff. And since this is the beginning of a new era, I agree with everyone else, lets cut the cord with EVERYONE on the old staff and start a fresh.

Jerry Gray has had good success with this team as the DBs coach. It wasn't until BLACHE took over as the DC when the secondary started looking weaker and weaker.

If Shanahan and the DC (hopefully Zimmer) thinks that Gray would be the best candidate, than its OK with me.

But I do agree about wanting to start with a clean slate.

Personally I think he (Grey) should be the first one fired. If there was anyone, absolutely anyone who did not believe in coach Zorn enough to go behind his back and interview for his job during the season.......they need to be fired immediately if you are Shannahan.

Just my opinion but once something like that has transpired with someone then you nip it in the bud by ridding yourself from them. I know people will say Snyder did it by interviewing him or Allen, well not really when we all well and good know that it was only done to satisfy the Rooney Rule, and very well could of been to see who would betray their own coach then as well. I just don't see the Skins keeping him.

Gray saw the writing on the wall. He, like darn near every Redskin fan on the planet knew Zorn was history. Gray simply complied with the organization to throw his name in the hat. Did he really think he's be the next HC? Surely not. But I'm almost willing to bet that Gray was considering his future, and more or less did what would be in his best interests. That said, I don't think Gray is the best option for DC out there right now. And I've read alot about how Gray failed coaching our secondary. I don't agree. He's a product of what system was implemented. Hence, Blache is/was the problem. Perhaps, with a new DC, Gray can be more agressive and creative with our secondary. JMHO!

TK said Gray was far down the list of DC's Shanahan was looking at, his chance is slim to none.

Bingo...actually the Skins still own him and his contract. He wants out and is looking at college HC openings. Makes me smile to say, it's completely up to Shanahan and Allen.

To be honest, I think Grey just interviewed to add something to his resume. In a "what have you done for me lately" league, no one will remember his previous experience with Buffalo. Grey risked facing the "you haven't been anything but a positions coach in 5 years" line when he walked into meeting rooms. This process is a way for him to look potential employers and say "Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen thought I was worth at least an interview."

Especially, if as some say, he is looking at college gigs, something like that could probably help a lot.

I would prefer the Redskins just get rid of everyone from the previous staff, and have Shanahan start with a clean slate.

Yes you should but you shouldn't. The same inept person can be turned/fully utilized under a real HC. With that said get rid of people who are not going to work with your coaching scheme though.

I like the new TE coach as well as Kirk Olividatti, but I have no problem if Shanahan would rather change them. I think a huge problem with the WR's not learning quickly has been Stan Hixon. I'm very excited to be rid of him.

Archived