Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan unhired, Romeo Crennel hired.

Art

It isn't all for show. Zimmer may be their first choice but you can't count on it working out for sure. The guy (for whatever reason) may decide to stay in Cincinnati or go somewhere else. Those things happen. The Redskins are doing the smart thing and preparing just in case. You have to have a back up plan even if you think there is less than 5% chance that you'll use it.

Also you never know when a person you're not too familiar with will wow you and basically force you to hire them over someone you know. If you just stick with people you're familiar with and have worked with before you are limiting yourself.

I keep seeing people throwing out there that AH will not want to play in a 3-4 defense. Can I ask how the hell you guys know this to be able to keep saying this? I like to think I followed all the drama with the hiring of AH and most of the drama this season and I "never" heard AH say "I came to the Skins cause I don't like the 3-4 defense", or "I'm glad I'm not a nose tackle", I keep seeing fans writing this and I'm just wondering where you guys are getting this and can you provide proof before everyone buys into this BS that has no basis?

I keep seeing fans writing this and I'm just wondering where you guys are getting this and can you provide proof before everyone buys into this BS that has no basis?

It has some basis. Haynesworth has always expressed some measure of displeasure with the prospect of being placed in a role where his job is primarily to occupy blockers. He wants to get at the passer and be a disruptor, not get stuck between the guard and center taking on double teams all day. It's a big part of why he's not happy right now...

"You brought me here to make us better and to create the havoc that I create. But you're not letting me do the things that we did in Tennessee," Haynesworth said.

Now, of course, that doesn't mean that he couldn't be happy in a 3-4 defense. In fact, he might get along just fine in a one gap scheme as a NT or more likely as a DE. Most people just automatically assume we'd run a Patriots-esque two gap front which is exactly what Haynesworth seems to hate.

There would have been no issue with hiring Zorn if he didn't suck. Bad luck in picking a guy who wasn't just, "not ready," but a guy who really seems like he will never be ready.

He certainly didn't seem to learn much from year 1 to year 2. I think it was an anomoly. Most any other first time hire that was actually deserving of the job (ie; just about anyone else we interviewed that glorious month) would probably have shown improvement from year 1 to 2, and may very well still have a job.

All this is hypothetical of course. Except for the part about Zorn being a terrible coach.

The scary part of all this with Shanny is that if we fail with this GM and this coach? What does Snyder do then?

If that happens hopefully he gets frustrated enough and sells the team. :evilg:

In all seriousness, it's pretty hard to argue with his moves the last month. He got the best possible GM available and the best possible coach available. For that he gets props.

IMO, AH would be great in a 3/4 scheme if we allow him to play a little DE and use Griffin and the others to play NT. But also IMA we should stay with the 4/3 and work with what we got now. Dallas and Green Bay are the only 3/4 teams in the NFC and GB had some growing pains in the beginning of the year. I think we should bring in someone who's going to be aggressive most of the time instead of none of the time!

He does what he did the last time he gave up everything and gave one man that much power...

He re-hires VINNY

No jinx please ;). Unfortunately Vinny is still in here working on the draft, and as I said since he was supposed to get fired, I expect Snyder to give him another job.

The scary part of all this with Shanny is that if we fail with this GM and this coach? What does Snyder do then?

agree...it will appear if this doesnt work (due to chemsitry or conflicts with owner), Snyder has run out of options of who to blame imo...may be forced to sell team if this time around fails...JMHO

Didn't we ask the same question when Gibbs was hired?

Really, what you do is get off the ground, brush yourself off, and figure out where things went wrong and try to do better next time.

This is a joke.

The Redskins don't have the personnel to play a 3-4.

Haynesworth, chafing at a scheme where he was a gap eater under Blache, is hardly going to sign on to be a nose tackle or battering ram DE in a 3-4.

Andre Carter is too small at 260 to play DE in a 3-4.

At linebacker, you would have to keep Orakpo as an OLB. Fletcher at 245 would survive as a middle backer but McIntosh at 230 and Blades at 240 are too small.

The Redskins would need to acquire a new complement for the front seven, at a time when the offensive line and skill positions also need upgrades.

I just don't see it happening here.

I think Haynesworth would play NT in a 3-4 if we use it like Dallas. Jay Ratliff is hardly a huge space eater in the middle and he is arguably the best 3-4 NT out there right now. If we use AH as Dallas uses Ratliff at NT I dont think AH would have too much of a problem with the switch.

All your other points are spot on and there is no way in hell we have the players to run a 3-4.

If the Skins make a change at QB ... they can't but not improve.

Knowing the history of your attitude toward our QB situation, your sentence is not correct.

I should be "they can't help but improve."

Your way technically means they can't improve.

Carry on.

Archived