Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan unhired, Romeo Crennel hired.

Art

A joke, obviously, but it got me thinking two things.

You want a 3-4 look? Think Crennel. I don't know if I prefer Mike Zimmer generally or not. I recall him being HIGHLY aggressive with that 0-coverage stuff in Dallas, which makes me like it and should suit us, because even when we have a safety back, we have no actual coverage.

I also got to thinking, as generally positive as people feel today about the direction of the team and Dan Snyder as the owner (today, for recent actions of course), imagine if he'd done like the Pats and hired a loser head coach from the Browns out of the Parcells tree.

So, yes, if things fail with Shanahan and we're at our all time low, remember, everyone becomes a genius overnight with ONE spot of luck.

The scary part of all this with Shanny is that if we fail with this GM and this coach? What does Snyder do then?

Then Snyder hires someone who's mid-30s for his first job OR hires a retread like Crennel and hopes for a big sideline hit.

A joke, obviously, but it got me thinking to things.

You want a 3-4 look? Think Crennel. I don't know if I prefer Mike Zimmer generally or not. I recall him being HIGHLY aggressive with that 0-coverage stuff in Dallas, which makes me like it and should suit us, because even when we have a safety back, we have no actual coverage.

I also got to thinking, as generally positive as people feel today about the direction of the team and Dan Snyder as the owner (today, for recent actions of course), imagine if he'd done like the Pats and hired a loser head coach from the Browns out of the Parcells tree.

So, yes, if things fail with Shanahan and we're at our all time low, remember, everyone becomes a genius overnight with ONE spot of luck.

That was my argument for finding someone new. People said that, "We tried to get a new guy! Look where Zorn got us!" As if Zorn is the end-all, be-all.

Every Hall of Fame player/coach/fan was at one point a rookie. Everyone who wanted Shanahaahnahnahnahn because of his past success failed to recognize that he, too, was in the exact same position two decades ago that Zorn was in two years ago.

Being new does not equate to being bad. At one point Gibbs had never coached a team. This board would've wrung Danny's neck if he hired the next Gibbs instead of Shanahanahnananananan.

And yes, Art. You do have a BIG helmet.

The scary part of all this with Shanny is that if we fail with this GM and this coach? What does Snyder do then?

IMO, we shouldn't be thinking about "what if this or what if that" and let things take their course. Snyder has already taken a big step and let's worry about stuff when the time comes.

remember, everyone becomes a genius overnight with ONE spot of luck.

This is what I've been telling everyone for a year now. All it takes is for Snyder to make one great hire. If Shanahan coaches for 10 years Snyder looks like a great owner. Zorn turns in to the next Andy Reid and its the same. Jeff Jurie and Bob Kraft struck gold with Reid and Bellicheck.

No matter what the W-L record is the next few years, Shanny should be able to root out the lazy, entitled player mindset that has been so prevalent here. If he can rebuild team spirit and commitment, then I am willing to wait and see who replaces him. That guy will inherit a much more stable sane team than Shanahan has.

I think this is all for show. We are waiting for Zimmer to be available

It isn't all for show. Zimmer may be their first choice but you can't count on it working out for sure. The guy (for whatever reason) may decide to stay in Cincinnati or go somewhere else. Those things happen. The Redskins are doing the smart thing and preparing just in case. You have to have a back up plan even if you think there is less than 5% chance that you'll use it.

That was my argument for finding someone new. People said that, "We tried to get a new guy! Look where Zorn got us!" As if Zorn is the end-all, be-all.

Every Hall of Fame player/coach/fan was at one point a rookie. Everyone who wanted Shanahaahnahnahnahn because of his past success failed to recognize that he, too, was in the exact same position two decades ago that Zorn was in two years ago.

Being new does not equate to being bad. At one point Gibbs had never coached a team. This board would've wrung Danny's neck if he hired the next Gibbs instead of Shanahanahnananananan.

And yes, Art. You do have a BIG helmet.

It's not the size of your helmet. It's whether you stick it in there.

I was going to go with, "It's whether you lead with it." But I think the other is more overt.

This is a joke.

The Redskins don't have the personnel to play a 3-4.

Haynesworth, chafing at a scheme where he was a gap eater under Blache, is hardly going to sign on to be a nose tackle or battering ram DE in a 3-4.

Andre Carter is too small at 260 to play DE in a 3-4.

At linebacker, you would have to keep Orakpo as an OLB. Fletcher at 245 would survive as a middle backer but McIntosh at 230 and Blades at 240 are too small.

The Redskins would need to acquire a new complement for the front seven, at a time when the offensive line and skill positions also need upgrades.

I just don't see it happening here.

Archived