Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's very important that fans be consistent and rational

Lombardi's_kid_brother

Actually, it's not.

I'm suddenly finding myself amused by all the zen posts about giving Shanahan and Allen time. About being willing to wait two or three years for a competitive team.

I'm more amused by the posts instructing others to do this same way. You posters are like that one friend that everyone has. You know, the one who smoked way too much pot in college. And then got into harder stuff. And then had the "domestic incident" with his girlfriend when he was 23. And has never had a steady job. But who decided that he was a Buddhist at 26, because of som Beastie Boys song. And is now always telling you how to live your life. You know the guy. Bill! We all know Bill, right?

Anyway, here is my promise to the Skins. I promise to have a broad-minded, long-term perspective on the team. I promise to accept that we may need to take a step back before we step forward. I promise to live with a bad year or two, knowing that it will all be worthwhile when the team is dominant again.

I also promise to abandon this principals in September of next year. Because I'm a fan and I demand immediate gratification. And if I can't get it through watching the Skins curb-stomp the Eagles, I have to get it elsewhere.

And nothing makes me happier than telling a bunch of rich 30-year olds that they suck at their chosen profession.

So, get ready for it, boys. I'm going to turn on you like Sammy the Bull next year.

Because I love you.

That is my manifesto.

We're a 4-12 team. Even though it's been done in the past, we all need to recognize that this team will not become a Super Bowl contender overnight. Given the holes on the roster and the need for a player overhaul, it will be a good two seasons at least before this team can be respectable again.

Minus power' date=' money, and influence...yes...I am Dan Snyder.

My previcating clearly has serious ramifications for the franchise. (Though according to TheLongshot, fans are to blame for the team stinking all these years).[/quote']

You can "previcate" all you want. I guarantee you this though - Shanahan will win another super bowl before "previcate" becomes a real word.

i'll cheer when the skins score a TD and get pissed when the other team scores a TD...that's all i promise.

this is a step forward for me as i was rooting for san diego to get that last score...

luckily for shanihan, the bar has been set LOW.

no division wins and playing about .500 ball vs the other dregs of the league is horrible...

we all want to see structure and steady improvement, but no season should be thought of as a throw away year...

there are no discounts to fans in rebuilding years...my nfl ticket costs the same.

you play to win the game. (thanks herm)

as long as a TEAM atmosphere is established and they get us some talent on the Oline...i'll be happy. (get clinton out, draft me some hoggs, and tell albert to shape up)

there were too many close losses this past season to think we are years away from the playoffs...

only the 2nd giants debacle stands out as a game where our team laid down...

I'd venture to say a couple of lineman and the new coaching staff could have gotten the team at least 4 more victories...not that big a leap imo.

so that's what i expect for 2010...at least 8-8. and beat the cowboys at least once...i mean damn.

playoffs after that is a normal expectation...but it will come down to QB play at the end of the day...we all know that.

if JC is retained, he has no excuses...Shanihan will run the ball heavily and give Jason easy reads...

onward and upward...Vinnie has left the building...or has he? has he actually left the building? just curious...

Hail Skins! :helmet:

I often disagree with you, but I agree with your overall view of Redskins fandom. There have been many people here who think they'd be happy blowing up the team and sucking for a while if it meant we would be great at the end. Well, there is no guarantee that by the end of things that we WILL be great, as the last few roster blowups have proved. Also, fans have little patience. They will say that, but if we aren't good they will want to cut everyone, fire the coaches and trade whatever can be traded. Any draft pick who doesn't look like a Pro Bowler from day one is considered a bad pick. Guys who struggle a bit should be replace by that guy sitting on the bench we know nothing about, because we know better than the coaches who see them practice every day.

I find it ironic that Skins fans have such high expectations from a team that has done nothing for at least 15 years.

Most of my attitude is mostly wait-and-see and see how things play out. I know what I don't know and realize that the coaching staff knows more than I do. (Which doesn't mean that they are always making the right decisions, just that I don't know if they are making the right decisions or not and I'm in no position to judge.)

I often disagree with you, but I agree with your overall view of Redskins fandom. There have been many people here who think they'd be happy blowing up the team and sucking for a while if it meant we would be great at the end. Well, there is no guarantee that by the end of things that we WILL be great, as the last few roster blowups have proved. Also, fans have little patience. They will say that, but if we aren't good they will want to cut everyone, fire the coaches and trade whatever can be traded. Any draft pick who doesn't look like a Pro Bowler from day one is considered a bad pick. Guys who struggle a bit should be replace by that guy sitting on the bench we know nothing about, because we know better than the coaches who see them practice every day.

I find it ironic that Skins fans have such high expectations from a team that has done nothing for at least 15 years.

Most of my attitude is mostly wait-and-see and see how things play out. I know what I don't know and realize that the coaching staff knows more than I do. (Which doesn't mean that they are always making the right decisions, just that I don't know if they are making the right decisions or not and I'm in no position to judge.)

God, I admire you.

I hear ya LKB.

I will be happy when we win, and complain mercilessly when we lose. I will love my team regardless. I'm not going to sit there twiddling my thumbs saying, "wait and see, wait and see" for 5 years. Who the hell has time for that? I'm a fan, godammit.

The point is: Losing still sucks even if it takes place during a rebuilding year and even if it leads to a Super Bowl title.

If we go 2-14 the next two seasons and then go 14-2 in 2012, 2010 and 2011 are still going to suck donkey balls. And I'll probably be dead by 2012 anyway. That's because God hates me.

I reserve the right to be a miserable **** during any losing in a rebuilding stretch.

Archived