Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Colorado Gazette and AP: Ex-Players Praise Shanahan

In case you want a little more to get you unrealistically optimistic lol :cool:...

http://www.seattlepi.com/football/2020ap_fbn_broncos_shanahan.html

Several holdovers laud Shanahan's return to NFL

Some were sad to see him go in the first place. All were glad to hear Mike Shanahan was getting back into the NFL coaching world.

When the Denver Broncos cleaned out their lockers earlier in the week after going 8-8 under first-year coach Josh McDaniels, they were pleased Shanahan was in the process of re-entering the coaching ranks.

Shanahan was introduced as the Redskins' new coach Wednesday, a day after signing his five-year, $35 million contract that gives him final authority over football decisions as head coach and executive vice president in Washington, essentially the same role he had in Denver.

"Well, I tell you what, if anybody can get it turned around, he can," said Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey, who came to Denver from Washington in one of the biggest moves of Shanahan's time in Denver. "It's been so up and down the last 10 years in Washington. And I wish him the best."

Shanahan was fired a little over a year ago in Denver, where he won two Super Bowls in the 1990s.

Tight end Tony Scheffler, who ended up in McDaniels' doghouse by season's end and was one of many holdovers from the Shanahan era who saw their roles reduced under the new coach, smiled at the thought of Shanahan roaming the sidelines again.

"That's awesome," Scheffler said Monday upon hearing Shanahan was in Washington, D.C., to hammer out details of a contract with owner Dan Snyder. "That's obviously a great city, a great organization with an owner that's willing to do a lot to win, so that's a great situation for him.

"He's the one that brought me here to Denver, so I have a lot of respect for him."

Elvis Dumervil was one of only a couple of Shanahan holdovers who thrived in the new regime, recording an NFL-leading and team-record 17 sacks. He, too, was glad to hear Shanahan's exile was ending.

"I wish him the best," Dumervil said. "... Good for the Redskins."

http://www.gazette.com/sports/shanahan-91889-romanowski-washington.html

Former Broncos think Shanahan will succeed in Washington

Bill Romanowski says give Mike Shanahan two or three years, and the Washington Redskins will be contenders.

Romanowski, who played for Shanahan’s Broncos from 1996-2001, said Shanahan was fired a year ago by Denver owner Pat Bowlen perhaps because his message got stale, not because he couldn’t coach. Romanowski predicts Washington will win with Shanahan, its new coach, and soon.

“I think Mike is a great leader,” said Romanowski, who is an analyst for Comcast SportsNet California and is the founder and CEO of his Nutrition53 supplement company. “It’s a fresh start and he’s going to go in and implement an incredible offense. He’s going to turn the organization around.”

Bubby Brister, who played quarterback in Denver from 1997-99, also endorsed Shanahan.

“I don’t see why they can’t make a difference pretty quick,” Brister said. “He knows how to make players work hard and motivate them. I’ve been around good coaches and he’s as good as I’ve been around. During those Super Bowl years I think Mike was one of the best of all time.”

Brister and Romanowski pointed to the same reasons for potential success: an owner in Daniel Snyder who will spend money, defensive pieces that are in place and a fan base that is hungry for a winner. Current Broncos players also thought it was a good fit.

Archived