Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Here is an idea that has never been suggested to Snyder

Lombardi's_kid_brother

Say "no" once in a while.

Shanahan should be in charge of his team. Allen should be in charge of the organization as a whole. But that does not necessarily mean that they should have carte blanche to do what they want.

Every coach that we have had here has viewed Dan Snyder as Santa Claus. "For Christmas, I want Clinton Portis and Santana Moss and London Fletcher and Albert Haynesworth....I've been really really good this year." And - on the whole - Snyder has given them exactly what they wanted.

But here is the question: Is what your heart most desires really what is best for you?

In other words, have Dan Snyder's endless pockets become a crutch or short-cut for the football men in the organization?

My biggest fear over the next three years is not that Shanahan will lose control of the team. That has never happened in his history.

I have no fear that Allen will make bad player personnel decisions. Everything in his history indicates that he is steady and practical in that regard. He will have hits and misses like everyone else in the NFL.

My fear is that both will become intoxicated with what Snyder can buy them...which is precisely what happened with Joe Gibbs. And is precisely why we have a team with aging "stars" and little depth.

Here's my suggestion to Snyder. Be generous with your money as always. But every third or fourth time Allen and Shanahan come to you and say, "We absolutely need to trade for Darelle Revis - the costs be damned!!"....say, "Hmmm...is there a second option that is almost as good?"

Or maybe even say, "Not this time." You don't even have to mean it. You certainly should not suggest other players. Just make them huddle up again and see if there is an alternative plan out there.

It's not like being everyone's favorite rich uncle has put anything in the trophy case.

I kind of see where you're going with this, and its something I've been critical of Snyder for in the past. Though I've come at it from a different angle.

The difference here is he has 2 very strong football minds running the show. Even with Gibbs, he only had a strong coach. Now he's got a strong coach and a strong front office guy.

NOW is the time to write the blank checks. Not when Spurrier asked for Trung Candidate or when Schotty wanted to draft Rod Gardner.

So, I disagree with you

I am hoping Bruce Allen is the first person that says "no" to these things. Even though Shanny has "total control" Bruce is still the big picture guy

I'd think if both Bruce and Shanny came to Dan and asked for something he'll oblige. Just like JKC did when Bethard and Gibbs wanted Doug Williams (as a backup QB) for a 1st round pick

I think much of the problem we're having as far as payroll goes is not so much that we get high-priced free agents, but that we keep restructuring contracts with our current aging players and are stuck footing the bill when they are on a steady decline and have years left on their contracts. Hopefully Allen can sort out this mess so it doesn't happen again.

I think Snyder just needs to stay away from dealing with agents. Snyder loves dealing with them, but I think he sometimes gets caught up in what they're selling him and since he has the cash, he ends up biting. I'm starting to think that many agents take advantage of Snyder in this way much more than is realized.

It's like selling an uninformed woman a shiny new car.

Getting "blind drunk with money" is certainly a possibility but let's hope that Zoony's points about strong football/managerial minds prevail and Snyder does not need to be the the designated driver of the group.

It's been far too easy for anyone to come in and put their stamp on this franchise. That's always been my complaint.

The Redskins organization has been a doormat for anyone to walk in and make their own. That speaks to poor leadership at the highest levels, and that has ALWAYS been my main beef with Snyder.

Which I guess, is sort of what LKB is saying here. Though in a much more entertaining way.

But now I feel like is the time that we define this franchise. We've got the FO guy and the Coach to do it well. So really, what I'd like Dan to do right now is exactly what I've criticized him for over the past years... which is to STFU and write checks :)

NOW is the time to write the blank checks. Not when Spurrier asked for Trung Candidate or when Schotty wanted to draft Rod Gardner.

So, I disagree with you

I agree with you. The other side of that is it wouldn't make a lot of sense to hire two new people and then not give them the tools to work with. On the flip side of that, they need to be fiscally responsible too. By that I mean that they shouldn't be over paying for someone and get us into Salary Cap trouble. Haynesworth, Hall, and Portis are good examples of that. The guaranteed money is what hurts.

But now I feel like is the time that we define this franchise. We've got the FO guy and the Coach to do it well. So really, what I'd like Dan to do right now is exactly what I've criticized him for over the past years... which is to STFU and write checks :)

I still feel like that is dangerous. For all intents and purposes, we did that with Gibbs. And we were marginally successful - probably because Gibbs the coach was able to overcome the mistakes of Gibbs the team-builder.

I've never felt like Snyder needs to have no involvement. It's still his team after all. Dan Rooney doesn't make the day to day decisions for the Steelers (Hell, he's in Ireland these days)...but no one will ever suggest that he is not in charge.

Snyder needs to be in charge, without making the decisions. Does that make sense?

Disagree with you comparison to Gibbs here.

Shanahan has only been out of football for ONE season. In that time he has had an office where he has studied film and made plans for a staff. In addition he spent time in New England and Pittsburgh in their training camps which shows that he is not stubborn in his own ways and was looking to make himself better at what he does. He has a plan in place and I'm sure has been studying the Redskins roster to see what the strengths and weaknesses are. Since he was in charge of personel in Denver he at some point has studied or researched nearly every player on this roster so he knows what he has...

Gibbs was playing catch up his entire first season and in doing so, depended on Vinny and Snyder to help him make decisions. He also did not know exactly what he had otherwise he may have just gone with a Ladell Betts instead of making the Clinton deal. This will not be the case here. Yes he will look to spend Snyder's money, but he will look to spend in a a direction he has established instead of letting Vinny and Co. sway any decisions.....

I think that the difference with Bruce being on board is that now there is someone who understands the future implications of acquiring overpriced, aging veterans (salary cap, draft picks). No one thought about that in the past. If Shanahan ever wants to do this, which I don’t think that he will, Bruce will explain the ramifications and it won’t happen.

Archived