Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - New Reasons to Believe

gortiz

By Dan Steinberg

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, January 7, 2010

"It's their show," Schefter said of Allen and Shanahan. "That's it. They're taking over. They're the men in charge right now, and they are responsible for the direction of this franchise moving forward. When Jim Zorn was dismissed this week, who did it? Bruce Allen. Not Dan Snyder. Bruce Allen. When Mike Shanahan was hired, who did it? Bruce Allen. So it's Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan running the show in Washington, with Dan Snyder watching from above, which is how it should be, which is how most successful organizations in football are run. You look at the Pittsburgh Steelers, Dan Rooney was there, he was a presence, he was aware of things, but he wasn't ultimately making decisions about what free agents to sign, and what players to draft, and what players to keep, and what players to cut. And it'll be the same thing in Washington."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/06/AR2010010601388.html

this has to make you feel good ... real definitive stuff here from a good arse source close to Shanahan. Was it bubba who said the real test was to see if Bruce came out with Dan on the Zorn dismissal presser... kind of rings true. Passed in my book.

Whether you like the man or not, you've got to show a level of respect. For you to go over the coach's head and go to the owner -- that's really childish. It's like having two parents and saying to dad, 'Mom said I couldn't do this, but can I anyway?'

And Dad says "Go ahead, don't pay attention to her" again and again, THAT'S where the problem is!

We can blame CP all we want but ultimately TheDan let it happen, encouraged it so he could feel like "one of the boys".

Well Dan you're NOT one of the boys and we are desperately hoping you have finally figured that out.

I have never been one of the big Snyder-bashers, but here is my concern. I believe all of this completely that Shanahan and Allen are in charge. But let's put their future success or lack thereof aside for a minute. When Shanahan leaves (regardless of whether it's after 8 years of glory or another ugly ending after a few years of frustration), what happens then? Is Allen still the man with Dan still in the background? Does Allen then pick whoever he feels is the right successor? Or if Allen leaves, is their a capable GM successor hired to do these things? In other words, is this really a permanent change? It wasn't when we hired Marty. It didn't lead to anything better when Gibbs left. If you believe the rumors, Snyder wanted Shanahan long before Bruce Allen was ever in the picture. Was the Allen hire just a necessity in Snyder's eye to make the move that Snyder wanted (hiring Shanahan)? If so, is Allen-Shanahan a package that will leave together just as they came together? Are we back to Vinnie (or something like Vinnie) after they go?

If Snyder had never shown any interest in a particular coach and just purely stepped aside in favor of a GM... and then that GM hired a coach I would feel more comfortable. But it doesn't sound like that is what happenned.

I have never been one of the big Snyder-bashers, but here is my concern. I believe all of this completely that Shanahan and Allen are in charge. But let's put their future success or lack thereof aside for a minute. When Shanahan leaves (regardless of whether it's after 8 years of glory or another ugly ending after a few years of frustration), what happens then? Is Allen still the man with Dan still in the background? Does Allen then pick whoever he feels is the right successor? Or if Allen leaves, is their a capable GM successor hired to do these things? In other words, is this really a permanent change? It wasn't when we hired Marty. It didn't lead to anything better when Gibbs left. If you believe the rumors, Snyder wanted Shanahan long before Bruce Allen was ever in the picture. Was the Allen hire just a necessity in Snyder's eye to make the move that Snyder wanted (hiring Shanahan)? If so, is Allen-Shanahan a package that will leave together just as they came together? Are we back to Vinnie (or something like Vinnie) after they go?

If Snyder had never shown any interest in a particular coach and just purely stepped aside in favor of a GM... and then that GM hired a coach I would feel more comfortable. But it doesn't sound like that is what happenned.

IMO, I think Shanny's successor will be home-grown.

It all sounds good. But again, we've seen this before with Marty. It lasted all of one season. We'll see.

Dan has learned, he knows he has no other choice! His way for 10 years didnt work, he knows if he goes back on this and his words that he has learned from his mistakes he will lose the fan base...

The only thing I know is that Jimmy Johnson, Dan Marino, and Mike Shanahan, were the only people I can remember having a year round tan no matter what month of the year it was. Shanahan on the sidelines at Mile High Stadium looking like he just got off a plane from Miami.

It will be intresting to see if Shanahan cleans out a lot fo the older role players...

the list might include...

Collins

Sellers

Randle El

Cartwright

as well as some injury prone keystones of years past

Portis

Samuels

Smoot

Thomas

Betts

Intrested in your guys input on the effects on the roster