Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: ESPN picked wrong ex-player

bubba9497

ESPN picked wrong ex-player

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20030805-113342-1751r.htm

By Gene Mueller

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

ESPN is telling us to mark our calendars for Sept. 8, when Deion Sanders begins his stint as host of "The New American Sportsman" series. Deion says he's out to prove the best challenges in sports are in the outdoors. I say the best challenge concerning this show is whether Deion can convince a zillion country boys to tune in.

Apparently, ESPN didn't bother to ask the people most likely to watch the show what they thought of Deion being the host of a hunting/fishing show. ESPN's executives — most of whom wouldn't know the AFLAC duck from a wild mallard — figured Deion's name recognition would bring in the viewers. That remains to be seen.

Thus far, the comments from some of my fishing and hunting pals hasn't been positive. Most remember Deion as a superbly gifted athlete with a big, opinionated mouth — a man who, in some instances, could back up his braggadocio but in the case of his brief stay with the Washington Redskins failed miserably. As a die-hard Redskins fan, you must understand I don't forgive and forget easily.

Deion's qualifications concerning playing the host of an outdoors show include statements like "I love to fish. I've been fishing since I was a kid."

Well, I love to build bluebird houses, but I don't think anybody is ready to hire me to replace Bob Vila and host his do-it-yourself home fix-it show.

So if it's an athlete you need to draw viewers, pick one who knows of what he speaks. Get in touch with retired Hall of Fame Redskins receiver Charley Taylor. Taylor loves to fish and hunt, knows what he's doing and is as pleasant a person as a TV outdoors show fan could hope to meet. The same goes for any number of other former NFL stars, pro golfers and baseball players. The great Brooks Robinson is one who hunts and fishes and who has spent time in front of a camera. How about Terry Bradshaw, who is quite the angler and is good on TV?

Don't touch the bears — In light of recent bear sightings and bear interactions with residents, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources urges state residents to leave bears alone when sighted.

These days, juvenile and adult bears are increasingly seen, particularly in western Maryland but also as close to Washington as Montgomery, Howard and Anne Arundel counties. This year a bear was even spotted in Harford County near the northern part of the Chesapeake Bay. The bears most likely are searching for suitable habitat to take up permanent residence and may be seen for a short period of time by residents, usually in the summer months.

Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and West Virginia share a growing regional black bear population. As this population grows, sightings in highly populated areas may become more frequent. The DNR's position on bears near suburban environments is to allow the bears time to locate suitable habitat. They may be sighted numerous times by the public while moving through but will travel to more remote areas within weeks. The DNR says it will not relocate such bears unless they become a threat to human safety.

If you see a black bear in or around your neighborhood make sure there is no food available to attract and keep one there. Trash cans should be secured, birdfeeders emptied and pet food kept indoors.

To report a black bear sighting in an urban area or to receive more information regarding black bears, residents can visit www.dnr.state.md.us or call the DNR's Annapolis number, 410/260-8540.

Area rifle team makes history — The Arlington Optimist-Acorns Combined Junior Rifle Club recently made target shooting history by sweeping the three-position smallbore team events at the U.S. National Rifle and Pistol Championships in Camp Perry, Ohio. The team fired a score of 2,206 with 50 center shots in one match and 2,189 with 50 center shots in the second match out of a possible 2,400 points.

Strong winds made the 50-yard competition with smallbore target rifles a particular challenge. An NRA spokesman noted at the awards ceremony that no other junior rifle team in the 100-year history of these matches had swept the team events. The club bested 47 other teams (including adult teams) from across the nation. The team included captain Brian Watson, 18; Kristina Fehlings, 18; Tom Knight, 17; Emily Houston, 15; alternate Daniel Peterson, 19; and coach Floyd Houston.

Originally posted by MAP16

This is a joke right? Deion hosting a hunting and fishing show? Is it suppossed to be funny? Is the whole point to watch Deion be out of his element?

Deion in one of his 4 piece, pin-striped pimp suits on a boat, with a fishing rod might actually be funny enough to watch.

Then again its Deion, so i'd gag anyways.. :puke:

Here's my question.

Will he try to 'homey it up' when he's hosting this show? "Ah jus loves buildin' bluebird birdhouses, yowzah!"

Everytime he casts a line, will he praise the LAWD?

Think he's going to wear a camouflage pimp coat? How about a fuzzy hat with a duck decoy on it?

Will it be called "Outdoors with Willie Wonka?"

What if Deion has to land a fish? Will he just kind of slap at it until a safety comes over and helps him bring it down?

If one of his partners shoots a quail, and Deion runs out to catch it, will it bounce off his facemask?

ESPN Producer 1: Who are we gunna get to host this outdoors show anyway? Is Bradshaw available?

ESPN Producer 2: Nah, he's doing those 1-800-COLLECT commercials.. apparently they're pretty lucrative.

ESPN Producer 1: Well who else is out there? Matt Millen? Karl Malone? Jimmy Carter?

ESPN Producer 2: Millen's the GM for the Lions. Karl Malone just signed with the Lakers. Carter's building houses for the impoverished in Macchu Picchu.

ESPN Producer 1: Damnit! We can pay Millen more than the Lions... that's not a job with any upside anyway. We need to think of SOMEONE practical, or else we're going to end up with some idiot like Deion Sanders.

ESPN Producer 2: Hey... wait! Didn't Deion play in Dallas? I bet he can hunt and fish or something. All those Texas people can.

ESPN Producer 1: Hmm... call his agent.

*shrug*

-s

Best man for the job?

John Riggens!

My family used to own a house in Rodanthee NC (Cape Hatteras) and we sold it to the retired sports photo editor of the Washington Post. He and Riggo had become good freinds and he told me that Riggo was a HUGE outdoorsman and would often come down to stay with him and hunt. Riggo is a mans man. Deon should do a flamboiant "style" show. Call it "Pimp Style for the Normal Guy" or something. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Bang

What if Deion has to land a fish? Will he just kind of slap at it until a safety comes over and helps him bring it down?

:rotflmao: :lol: :rotflmao:

I used to like the American Sportsman with Curt Gowdy but Deion just makes me want to :puke:

Archived