Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan must do one thing only.

Art

It happened to Marty, Spurrier, Gibbs and Zorn. It happened with Raye, Nolan, Lewis, Edwards, Blache and even Williams to a degree.

The thing that ultimately has caused this team the greatest problem. The thing that ultimately will always keep it from being any good. It's the only thing Shanahan MUST correct to create a chance at being any good.

That thing?

Players believing they know more about football and what a successful scheme is than the coaches. Though I'm the first to stand up and scream at the insanity of some of the things our guys have done, the fact is, a great percentage of our problem over the years has been buy in from every player.

I understood it was crazy to believe in blocking from the outside, in as Spurrier did. But that he never got everyone on the same page crushed his ability to run an offense. I heard Cooley say, about a man who'd run the No. 1 offense repeatedly in this league, "We supposedly have this great system...."

No one has come here, fresh pedigree, college pedigree, Hall of Fame pedigree or any other level of success or failure and gotten the players to buy in completely. They are always sniping. Complaining. I know better. Use me thusly.

Even when you are inclined to believe they are right, the simple fact remains, to win in this league, you need all pieces functioning AS ONE. Haynesworth may be GREAT, and individually superior to everyone in football, but if he won't give his heart to a system, he won't be as effective in it as a far lesser player. The same goes for every player we have.

Shanahan has a pedigree and a system you would not think could be questioned.

Yet it will.

It's how our players have reacted to everyone else. Shanahan won't be different in that regard. He merely has to be different in responding to it. He has to empower the leaders of the team to snap down any spoken insurrection. He needs to bind them to him more greatly than they are bound to anyone else in the organization so they are loyal to him and the system.

The biggest mistake Gibbs made here was rotating captains so the team had no one to turn to for real leadership. A team captain isn't an honor you bestow on every player. It's a position of respect, earned through your effort and sweat and it is not something easily taken from one who's earned it.

Those captains must be Shanahan's men. They must destroy internal dissent against the new systems with great fury. Anyone who's played sports knows the easiest way to break a man's will is when someone you play with comes at you directly about your will. You may buck a coach who does that. You don't a player everyone respects more than you.

In this process Shanahan must abide the general principle that a good player for the system is a better player than a superior player. Hard cuts must be made. Surprising moves. Lesser bodies replacing better ones who think they know better will look bad, but be good.

Shanahan deserves respect. Schlereth played for us in our glory years. He played for the Broncos in theirs. He considers himself a Bronco. There's something to be said for a guy who played with our greatest and their greatest and prefers theirs.

He must be so confident in his system and abilities to reject any challenge of it. For some time I believed an adaptive coach was superior to a rigid one, but no team has EVER needed a mean daddy more than this one. No team needs someone who is so certain of himself that he can get rid of good players who buck what he knows is right. Even if he's wrong.

Arrogance in THAT position is needed. Gibbs was far too humble for the crop of men we have now. Zorn couldn't bring himself to yelling at them because they were grown men. Shanahan needs to make it understood, whether he's a yeller or not, that it'll be done exactly as he wants, no questions required.

I expect a very early, statement release in the earliest days of consequential practice. Someone who ran a route at 10 steps rather than 9 but has done so a couple times too many. The only way this team can ever win is if gets over itself and understands the team concept only works with sacrifice.

Even if it means sacrificing your own opinions.

I have no idea if Shanahan can do it. I believe he's arrogant and certain in his genius. I thought Spurrier was too, but he turned out to be a wallflower. Shanahan won't be that. Maybe THAT will be what makes a difference.

He has to do a lot more than just that.

Mainly, to suppress Dan from ever seeing sunlight.

No more chasing Lance Briggs actions. No more chumming up to players and playing favorites. No more setting a terrible tone for the entire organization, whereby players then slack off.

His plate is full.

I think the only team in the league where guys completely buy into the system is Belichick up in New England.

Guys will speak out about their roles.

It's just a matter of having the enforcement to make them buy in or sit out, and having the ability to walk the walk after putting guys in their place for speaking out.

He must get a QB.

Gibbs biggest mistake was trading for Brunell and drafting JC.

Don't kid yourself. The majority of what has been wrong with the skins over the past 17 years has had more to do with the players taking snaps behind center than anything else.

Oh there will be dissent in the locker room next year, and there will be turmoil, but as long as Snyder is telling the truth about not being involved with player issues and letting Allen / Shanahan handle their business then it will become a team. It make take a few years and a lot of turnover but this organization has a chance again to become a real team.

No more chasing Lance Briggs actions. No more chumming up to players and playing favorites. No more setting a terrible tone for the entire organization, whereby players then slack off.

His plate is full.

Snyder chases the players he's told mean the most to the team in the areas they seek players. He'll do that under Shanahan too. Shanahan and Allen will work together in whatever system they employ and come up with a list of priorities and compare it against available players and set off a list of things to do in free agency.

And Snyder will get those things done. Why? Because THAT is what Snyder is better at than anyone else in creation. Shanahan may actually get sucked in to liking it, which may or may not be a good thing. In an uncapped NFL I suspect this will have no real negative impact. Even in a capped one we've shown remarkable ability to navigate within that structure, though at some cost to depth in injury situations.

But, please don't be surprised or disappointed when absolutely EVERYTHING looks the EXACT same in March, because, it will, because, in the end, that is the role Snyder is best at and better at than anyone else in the NFL, so it's a huge advantage for us.

Snyder chases the players he's told mean the most to the team in the areas they seek players.

But, please don't be surprised or disappointed when absolutely EVERYTHING looks the EXACT same in March, because, it will, because, in the end, that is the role Snyder is best at and better at than anyone else in the NFL, so it's a huge advantage for us.

Snyder has no business chasing any player. That isn't his job. It doesn't work for Jerry, Snyder or Al Davis.

And as long as that happens, this organization has no chance of ever competing in the league.

If coaching were the only thing he had to do....but unfortunately he needs to convince Dan to leave the country for a few years, leaving only his Visa card behind.

He must get a QB.

Gibbs biggest mistake was trading for Brunell and drafting JC.

Don't kid yourself. The majority of what has been wrong with the skins over the past 17 years has had more to do with the players taking snaps behind center than anything else.

Why 80% of your posts always about bashing JC? i mean can you contribute in some other ways? it would be great since im sure your and intelligent person.

Snyder will also be at the combine, hosting the dinners for all the players we bring in and selling the swank and showing the cheddar that make the Redskins so attractive to those looking for a new home.

His guys will ask him to sign a player, and he will, but he'll also know what they are basing their decisions on. Shanahan has "ultimate" authority only in a passing sense. Snyder holds the cash. He holds the ultimately ability for the authority to do anything. Fortunately he's free with the coin so it won't be an issue. And if the league is uncapped, good gracious, it could be something to behold.

Snyder has no business chasing any player. That isn't his job. It doesn't work for Jerry, Snyder or Al Davis.

And as long as that happens, this organization has no chance of ever competing in the league.

If coaching were the only thing he had to do....but unfortunately he needs to convince Dan to leave the country for a few years, leaving only his Visa card behind.

Incorrect. That is his job. He's the guy signing the checks. It's the only job he actually has. His sole job as the owner is to acquire the people he's told matter to the people he's given the team over to run. That's all he MUST provide.

If that means going over the budget he set, so be it.

A great owner is the one who provides everything he can to the people who run his team. Those people aren't as good as Snyder in the acquisition arena. No one is. So, when they say we want these five guys, it won't be them working it. It'll be Snyder. It won't be Snyder's decision. But, it never has been. It'll just be his empowerment. Now, if Snyder SUCKED at this piece of work, we'd be right to ask him to stop.

Given he's great at it, you can believe he'll be asked to do it. Teams which are WAY under the cap at the floor of it may be able to operate the way you suggest. But teams which are likely to want trips to the piggy bank can't have an uninvolved owner. They need him to dig a little deeper a little more often. Remember when Gibbs was talking about the coaches he wanted and how he kept having to ask Dan for money to do it. Dan kept providing. You do not want Dan not providing, because as an owner, it's THE thing he does best.

Snyder will also be at the combine, hosting the dinners for all the players we bring in and selling the swank and showing the cheddar that make the Redskins so attractive to those looking to get paid.[/QUOTE]

I fixed that for accuracy.

No more Snyder. No more cash in with Danny atmosphere.

No more Portis going to awards shows with the owner.

Dan needs to become invisible. Hopefully Mike and Bruce can work together to squash him.

Incorrect. That is his job. He's the guy signing the checks. It's the only job he actually has.

His best skill is writing checks.

It isn't in any decision making.

From banning signs in the stadium, to making trade offers for players like Lance Briggs, to chumming up with Portis and picking favorites--he has proven that he has no business in any football related decisions. He is a failure in this regard.

Let Bruce Allen show him how a NFL franchise is properly run.

Sign the checks. And stay away. That is what he needs to do.

Convincing him of this is Shanahan's biggest challenge. If he isn't successful at doing so, we will be hiring a new coach again in a few years from now.

Won't happen McD5.

And, again, you don't want it to.

It's the thing no one has ever really understood about Snyder's running of the team. The reason he can sign anyone he wants to coach the team is because unlike the media portrays, he doesn't have to sell that person on an owner's desire to control the decisions being made.

While the media suggests people won't work for a meddlesome owner, the fact is, he's not actually meddlesome. He's INVOLVED. But he doesn't overrule. He doesn't instruct. He doesn't MAKE the decisions. He empowers them. When he meets with Shanahan he tells him that. He tells Shanahan, "Mike, I want you to make this team a winner. You make the calls on all things. It's your team to run. I'm here to make sure you get what you want. And I ALWAYS get what you want."

It's seductive because it's accurate.

And it's why Snyder will, for as long as he follows that model, be able to get anyone he wants to coach the team and, why, ultimately, the failure of that person will be based on that person's choices, while the success will be based on that person's choices as well.

That person won't be able to say he wasn't given what he asked for or needed. It allows great accountability and clarity. Snyder legitimately doesn't want to be the football decision maker here. He does want to make sure he does everything in his power so that his decision makers have everything they need.

And that he'll do for all time.

His plate is full.

Exactly.

The reason players said all that stuff in the past was because they knew DANNY was the head guy, not the coaches.

Hopefully Shanahan will be fully in charge and the players won't be able to go over his head.

His best skill is writing checks.

It isn't in any decision making.

From banning signs in the stadium, to making trade offers for players like Lance Briggs, to chumming up with Portis and picking favorites--he has proven that he has no business in any football related decisions. He is a failure in this regard.

Let Bruce Allen show him how a NFL franchise is properly run.

Sign the checks. And stay away. That is what he needs to do.

Convincing him of this is Shanahan's biggest challenge. If he isn't successful at doing so, we will be hiring a new coach again in a few years from now.

Allen may already be correcting some things. On the team plane, some respected old timers have gotten recent upgrades at the expense of the team's flying circus. I've always felt there is too much of the marketing/advertising business intermixed with the Redskins travel, bumping important players and old timers behind the face men of various companies or interests or whatever.

Our best hope is that Allen has the power to say, "I'm running a football shop here. We don't have time for this nonsense. And I don't care what the business side needs, asks for or wants."

While the media suggests people won't work for a meddlesome owner, the fact is, he's not actually meddlesome. He's INVOLVED. But he doesn't overrule. He doesn't instruct. He doesn't MAKE the decisions. He empowers them. When he meets with Shanahan he tells him that. He tells Shanahan, "Mike, I want you to make this team a winner. You make the calls on all things. It's your team to run. I'm here to make sure you get what you want. And I ALWAYS get what you want."

It's seductive because it's accurate.

And it's why Snyder will, for as long as he follows that model, be able to get anyone he wants to coach the team and, why, ultimately, the failure of that person will be based on that person's choices, while the success will be based on that person's choices as well.

That person won't be able to say he wasn't given what he asked for or needed. It allows great accountability and clarity. Snyder legitimately doesn't want to be the football decision maker here. He does want to make sure he does everything in his power so that his decision makers have everything they need.

And that he'll do for all time.

Love this part. It is hilarious, people don't understand that coaches WANT to be here because they know he wants to win. They know the things he is willing to get a player or 5. Now let's go draft us a fat boy!

The reason players said all that stuff in the past was because they knew DANNY was the head guy, not the coaches.

Shanahan will be fully in charge and the players won't be able to go over his head.

Fixed that for ya. He is in charge with his hand picked GM.

This is the problem Art. The failure is not based on the coach, as long as Dan is involved.

Portis erupts on the radio and bashes the head coach, and neither Snyder nor Vinny do a thing. Immediately, Zorn is now powerless and the team is dead.

The success or failure of a coach in DC is not solely based upon the actions of the coach.

If Dan continues to play favorites, and continues to be involved in anything but writing checks, the future will be exactly as the past--failure.

Allen may already be correcting some things. On the team plane, some respected old timers have gotten recent upgrades at the expense of the team's flying circus. I've always felt there is too much of the marketing/advertising business intermixed with the Redskins travel, bumping important players and old timers behind the face men of various companies or interests or whatever.

Our best hope is that Allen has the power to say, "I'm running a football shop here. We don't have time for this nonsense. And I don't care what the business side needs, asks for or wants."

Thanks for sharing this inside look into some things we wouldn't otherwise have heard. Very enlightening, and definitely some cause for a faint glimmer of hope for a weary and still distrustful fanbase.

This is the problem Art. The failure is not based on the coach, as long as Dan is involved.

Portis erupts on the radio and bashes the head coach, and neither Snyder nor Vinny do a thing. Immediately, Zorn is now powerless and the team is dead.

The success or failure of a coach in DC is not solely based upon the actions of the coach.

If Dan continues to play favorites, and continues to be involved in anything but writing checks, the future will be exactly as the past--failure.

Zorn is powerless because he wouldn't STAND UP to that. Shanny will. Zorn was a coward in all aspects. THAT is why the team was dead.

I bet Shanny comes in (if he hasn't already) and talks to Portis about the things he said in the past and the stuff about JC. My guess is we keep both players next year. Just a hunch.

Ahh.

You're one of those.

DANNY, LEAVE TOWN AND NEVER COME BACK. DO NOTHING.

Wait. When a player speaks on the radio, you WANT Danny to do something and speak out? I see. I've YET to see anyone who dislikes Snyder actually be consistent in that dislike. You are somewhat extreme as an example as you WANT Snyder OUT of the things he's proven to be great at (signing players) while you want him IN on the things he's ALSO been great at (staying out of public fights between players and coaches).

The worst thing Snyder could do is take action when a player slams a coach because it would forever cripple the coach from doing anything. The coach has the authority to do what he needs to do to get an unruly player in line. Snyder can't do that for him.

You want Snyder's door shut, yet certainly laud him for providing a player access to a sick relative with a personal flight out. You want things which don't compute. It IS possible one of the flaws in a Snyder organization is the players FEEL loved by the owner. Randy Thomas said that about him. Maybe it IS too comfortable for the players knowing their owner will do everything in his power to keep them happy.

At the end of the day though, Snyder has LONG stayed out of controversial issue between coaches and players because getting involved undercuts the coach. The coach HAS the ability to act. Zorn was just bad at it. Hell, Zorn couldn't even hold to a decision to move ARE out of punt returns, folding when challenged BY ARE. We did not need Snyder holding his hand. It'd have hurt Zorn more than Zorn hurt himself.

Signs of change? This in regards to the "lunches" Dan would have on Friday with Zorn

"I think we had a good relationship throughout his time here," Snyder said. "Our regular meetings and lunches did end after Bruce Allen came here three weeks ago. Bruce thought that the right line of communications was between himself and the head coach."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/05/AR2010010503392.html

The front office needs to sufficiently isolate themselves from the players in all matters not concerning contract negotiations.

Shannahan has to be the "man" of final authority, fully supported by ownership/management, for all other player issues.

Shannahan should be trusted to make any issues needed to be addressed by the FO known and acted upon accordingly through Shannahan.

No more of this "the owner is my buddy" entitlement that seems to pervert the chain of authority of this team.

Archived