Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Playoff QB's over the last 3 years

daveakl

This just proves the draft is a complete crapshoot. We've had 2 1st round QBs over the last 10 years. How many playoff apperances to we have to show for it? None with those 2 guys playing QB. We got there with Brunell and Collins. So a 1st round QB doesn't always mean success. Just like a LT early doesn't always mean success. Robert Gallery anyone?

This just proves the draft is a complete crapshoot. We've had 2 1st round QBs over the last 10 years. How many playoff apperances to we have to show for it? None with those 2 guys playing QB. We got there with Brunell and Collins. So a 1st round QB doesn't always mean success. Just like a LT early doesn't always mean success. Robert Gallery anyone?

Very true, but it also tells you that unless you have a 1st or high second round QB a your starter, you prob. are not a playoff team.

Look no farther than Saint Louis to see a team with several very unfortunate #1 picks. And those were all non-QB picks (in fact, on the line.)

Very true, but it also tells you that unless you have a 1st or high second round QB a your starter, you prob. are not a playoff team.

I agree. I want us to take Bradford in the 1st, but it doesn't mean instant success. Just like it wouldn't be instant success if we took Okung either. Alot of it has to be the situation that the player is going into and if they fit the system.

This is pretty pointless. Basically every round has gone about .500 in playoff games so what's your point? If you're trying to prove that the 1st rounders play in more playoff games, maybe you should compare it to how many first rounders don't make the playoffs every year. I'm guessing a large percentage of starters are first rounders period. Some of the teams that are known for being the weakest franchises recently like the lions, raiders rams etc almost always play a 1st round QB, because they're always trying to draft a new one every couple years and they can't figure out that you have to have a team around them. To prove my theory we should take the superbowl winning QB and switch him with the last place team every off season. That would be interesting. You think Eli Manning or Big Ben win superbowls with the Raiders, Rams, or Redskins? I bet those guys wouldn't look so bad playing with the Colts or Patriots. Look how awesome Matt Cassel was in KC compared to NE.

This is pretty pointless. Basically every round has gone about .500 in playoff games so what's your point? If you're trying to prove that the 1st rounders play in more playoff games, maybe you should compare it to how many first rounders don't make the playoffs every year. I'm guessing a large percentage of starters are first rounders period. Some of the teams that are known for being the weakest franchises recently like the lions, raiders rams etc almost always play a 1st round QB, because they're always trying to draft a new one every couple years and they can't figure out that you have to have a team around them. To prove my theory we should take the superbowl winning QB and switch him with the last place team every off season. That would be interesting. You think Eli Manning or Big Ben win superbowls with the Raiders, Rams, or Redskins? I bet those guys wouldn't look so bad playing with the Colts or Patriots. Look how awesome Matt Cassel was in KC compared to NE.

I think the point shows that if you do not have a 1st round or high 2nd round QB then you have a small chance of being a playoff team.

That's because our dumb FO over reached on Ramsey and Campbell. A lot of scouts had them as 2nd and 3rd rounders. I remember the Skins getting questioned when we drafted Ramsey. They said we took him too high.

I think the point shows that if you do not have a 1st round or high 2nd round QB then you have a small chance of being a playoff team.

Exactly. Nobody is claiming that a first round QB guarantees success. But it should be obvious by now that middle of the road QBs like Campbell won't get you very far. And face it, the odds of landing a franchise QB in the first round are much higher than trying to get lucky in later rounds.

Non believers won't like the stats on OL. I read somewhere (here?) the stats on starting OL of Super Bowl champs and it was stunning. Let's just say that drafting one in the first hasn't been the way to go.

Good post.

Some trends, but yeah no clear indications about how to use your 1st.

Going back 20 years or so, just with REDSKINS quarterbacks, we have

MADE THE PLAYOFFS with:

Doug Williams (1st Round)

Jay Schroeder (3rd Round)

Mark Rypien (6th Round)

Brad Johnson (9th Round)

Mark Brunell (5th Round)

Todd Collins (2nd Round)

A real hodgepodge.

Conversely, we drafted Heath Shuler, Pat Ramsey and Jason Campbell in the first and they never led any team to the playoffs.

There's just so many factors that go into success in the NFL.

Wrong.

If you combine all of the teams of the playoffs you get a .500 record just like if you combine all of the teams of the NFL regular season you get a .500 record.

For every team that wins a game there is a team that loses a game.

First rounders will eventually play themselves and knock each other out thus garnering both a win and loss for each which is a .500 record.

Having more games played = advancing further into the playoffs.

First rounders have overwhelmingly more games played. Thus, they advance deeper into the playoffs.

Exactly. Nobody is claiming that a first round QB guarantees success. But it should be obvious by now that middle of the road QBs like Campbell won't get you very far. And face it, the odds of landing a franchise QB in the first round are much higher than trying to get lucky in later rounds.

Non believers won't like the stats on OL. I read somewhere (here?) the stats on starting OL of Super Bowl champs and it was stunning. Let's just say that drafting one in the first hasn't been the way to go.

Wasn't Campbell a first-rounder too?

Archived