Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

3-4 Defense?

Josh90286

Peter King reported today that Shanahan "was thinking hard about the 3-4 last summer" when at a Steelers camp.

Zimmer, who has been connected to the Redskins the most in recent rumors, does have experience in the 3-4.

My question is, do you think that we have the personnel for the 3-4? I personally think that Orakpo would benefit from going from playing half his time at DE and half at OLB to a pass rushing OLB in a 3-4 scheme that so many other hybrids like him have flourished in. I also think that we have the perfect space-eater nose tackle in Haynesworth to make it work.

DE - needed

NT - Haynesworth

DE - Daniels

OLB - Orakpo

MLB - Fletcher

MLB - McIntosh / Blades

OLB - Carter

Do you think this would improve or harm our defensive output?

Edited to change lineup

Carter weighs what? 250 lbs? Way too light to play DE in a 3-4.

Just say no to the 3-4!

You are right. However, Andre did play OLB in San Fransisco, correct? We could draft or pick up a bigger DE and move Andre back to OLB to play opposite Orakpo.

Did this need its own thread? Its pure speculation on the part of hacks that don't even watch our games. We dont have the roster for a 3-4. Until it happens, lets not spring up 100 threads on the subject...

So a fan forum is only for reacting to things that have already happened? Thanks for your input to the thread.

There's a reason no NFC East teams use a 3-4. It doesn't work against smashmouth football teams. Look at how the Giants dominated the Pats in the Super Bowl. Look at how the Steelers fell apart when teams started running at them. A 3-4 is a good scheme if you're putting up 35 points a game and forcing teams to pass all the time. In the NFC East, a 3-4 is a ticket to last place.

There's a reason no NFC East teams use a 3-4. It doesn't work against smashmouth football teams. Look at how the Giants dominated the Pats in the Super Bowl. Look at how the Steelers fell apart when teams started running at them. A 3-4 is a good scheme if you're putting up 35 points a game and forcing teams to pass all the time. In the NFC East, a 3-4 is a ticket to last place.

Dallas goes 3-4

have you ever heard of the dallas cowboys?

Peter King reported today that Shanahan "was thinking hard about the 3-4 last summer" when at a Steelers camp.

Zimmer, who has been connected to the Redskins the most in recent rumors, does have experience in the 3-4.

My question is, do you think that we have the personnel for the 3-4? I personally think that Orakpo would benefit from going from playing half his time at DE and half at OLB to a pass rushing OLB in a 3-4 scheme that so many other hybrids like him have flourished in. I also think that we have the perfect space-eater nose tackle in Haynesworth to make it work.

DE - needed

NT - Haynesworth

DE - Daniels

OLB - Orakpo

MLB - Fletcher

MLB - McIntosh / Blades

OLB - Carter

Do you think this would improve or harm our defensive output?

Edited to change lineup

banghead-2.gif

Haynesworth isn't a NT. He's a 1 gap DT. He was pissed off this year about having to eat space in Blache's system.

Daniels is too small and too old to switch to a 5 technique.

Carter failed miserably as a OLB when he was much younger and had fresher legs. No way he would ever want to do that again.

This team simply IS NOT built for a 3-4 defense in any way, shape or form.

Using this year's Steelers team conveniently leaves out their past 3-4 defenses..

In 2008, they had the number one defense in the league, including the number two rush defense in the league.

In 2007, they were number 3 overall and also number 3 in rush defense.

Whatever defense you run, its still about the players, not solely the scheme. A 3-4 does not mean you cannot stop the run.

I think hanyesworth would throw a fit if he was moved to NT in a 3-4, he wasn't happy the way he was used in blache's 4-3... and if you think he isn't durable now, he'd probably last half the games as a NT... and why get merriman when orakpo is perfect as the pass rushing OLB...

I didn't think he had the size to play it, but I could be wrong?

He is 285. He definetly has the size. Still the 3-4 is not a good fit for our team. With so many holes on offense, it would be stupid to completely retool the strength of our team...

Archived