Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Duce Staley speaks to the fans, letting them know, why?

I am sure putting down the Eagles FO is going to get things accomplished.

Holdout running back Duce Staley released a statement to the Eagles' fans on Monday explaining his actions. He said, "There's nothing I want more than to be back on the field with my teammates and friends on the Philadelphia Eagles...I just completed the best year of my career and I am heading into the final year of my contract with the team. I was just interested to know how I fit into the team's plans in the future, including an extension that would have me finishing my career with the Eagles. Unfortunately, not one person in the Eagles front office has given me any idea of what the future holds for me as a player for the Eagles beyond this season. This has come as a real shock to me." Staley also told the fans that he is "working out two and three times a day, in the best shape of my life, but the reality is, I'm not with my team at Lehigh. This hurts me more than I could put into words."

He's still a moron with no leverage. Anyone with half a brain can see that. ::shrug:: He needs to fire his agent (or whomever he's listening too) and get back to work. If he holds out all year not only does he lose money but the Eagles get to keep his rights... oh, and he doesn't count against the roster if they tag him as "did not report." With his paths of logic he probably couldn't have spelled CAT either. :laugh:

This hurts the Eagles much more then the average Philly fan realizes. He knows the "O" better then Buck and the little guy from temple. And it is much more then just production numbers. He knows the blocking schemes and how to pick up the blitzes. He protects Mc Nabbs blindside and picks up the lb blitzes like a vet of the west coast "O". There other 2 backs are going to have some growing pains at Mc Nabbs expense.

I understand the Eagles don't want to set a precedent with resigning a guy before his contract expires, but if your this close to getting over the top and the window is closing fast. Don't you make an exception? No not the EAGLES. ALWAYS THE BRIDESMAID AND NEVER THE BRIDE.

They could have reworked some deals and kept Hugh and went out and got a WR and extended duce and really made a run for it. Maybe it is just me, but I will never understand there F.O. If they don't get to the bowl this year and then they fade away and have to rebuild again. What makes the Eagle fan think they will ever get that close again?

Haven't they been looking to replace him for some time now? Suppose they dont want him? Is he just going to hold out all year and thus hurt his general possibility to return? He oughta just approach it like Champ and be like I want to renegotiate to stay here longer, but if they dont want that then I'll just earn my 1000 yards and play against you next year. ....

Originally posted by tommy-the-greek

This hurts the Eagles much more then the average Philly fan realizes. He knows the "O" better then Buck and the little guy from temple. And it is much more then just production numbers.

No it doesn't. How long are they supposed to keep a back that's losing speed and power just because he "knows the offense?" If that was the case why didn't the Skins keep Davis? Surely he knows the offense better than Candidate, Betts and Watson right?

The fact is, Duce is being an ass and has valued himself and by holding out is only hurting his prospects for the future (for himself I might add). They've been trying to get in another back before this year so the writing has been on the wall for Duce. I agree, they should have kept Douglas for one more year, maybe two tops, but are they supposed to keep every player now? I'd rather have Dawkins than Douglas any day of the week.

What makes the Eagle fan think they will ever get that close again?

Because teams do it every year. There no guarantee that ANYTHING the FO does (or any FO from any team anywhere for that matter) will automatically generate them a trip to the "big dance." You can coulda, shoulda, woulda, every little nitpick to death and that won't change a thing. The players still have to play and believe it or not luck does play a pretty big role in things.

Oh, and one more thing... unlike Douglas or any other recent player that's left, Duce is under CONTRACT which is what's making this so stupid on his part. He's already agreed to be in camp and training and he's in breech of said contract. There's no justifying what he's doing. He's contractually obligated to be playing this year unlike Douglas or Mitchel or Barber, etc... The situations aren't even remotely the same and this one especially has nothing to do with the Eagles FO since they already gave him a contract to begin with. His greedy ass wants an extension before he proves his worth.

No it doesn't. How long are they supposed to keep a back that's losing speed and power just because he "knows the offense?" If that was the case why didn't the Skins keep Davis? Surely he knows the offense better than Candidate, Betts and Watson right? -texaseagle

================================

why would davis know the offence better than the others???when they were all in SOS' system for the exact same amount of time?????

It wasn't my theory to begin with and had nothing to do with my point. Staley is a good pass catcher out of the backfield, but he's slow and can't hit the holes on run plays. Westbrook and now Ritchie can both catch out of the backfield and Buckhalter and Westbrook both have more speed and can actually hit a hole without taking three seconds to get there. So, no, Staley isn't a good fit anymore (and hasn't been for a while) and, again, was trying to be replaced before this year and even before last year.

Not that any of this has anything to do with the original post and the fact that he's under contract and is holding out without reason. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by TexasEagle

No it doesn't. How long are they supposed to keep a back that's losing speed and power just because he "knows the offense?" If that was the case why didn't the Skins keep Davis? Surely he knows the offense better than Candidate, Betts and Watson right?

Davis was not a match for our system. Duce however knows the west coast better then the other 2 backs. The other guys may match his production they may not. What they won't be able to do is know and understand all the blocking schemes for the west coast as well as Duce. You don't want to have a new back learning on the job when your team is this close. Why compare this to the Skins. There is no comparison here.

QUOTE]Originally posted by TexasEagle

There no guarantee that ANYTHING the FO does (or any FO from any team anywhere for that matter) will automatically generate them a trip to the "big dance." You can coulda, shoulda, woulda, every little nitpick to death and that won't change a thing. The players still have to play and believe it or not luck does play a pretty big role in things.

We arent talking about any other team here. We are talking about a team that has been to back to back championship games and spit the bit. Do you really think this eagle team without Duce and everything that has occured since last year is better then last year's team? Many would say they are equal to or less then last year. The fact is there are no real dynasties in the salary cap world. The Eagle window is closing if they are lucky they may have one more run with McNabb after a few years of retooling.

I picture Andy Reid as being the last man in the league to cave into the demands of a holdout, especially one for whom backups are in place.

Not only does Reid takes this stuff personally, but he has little regard for the value of individual players - prefering (rightly or wrongly) to believe that the team's success rests instead upon his system. We saw this when he fumed after Trotter refused to sign the franchise tender because Philly wouldn't promise not to reuse the tag. He let Trotter walk for nothing. This year, it was Hugh's turn to prove Reid doesn't need stars, despite having the cap space to sign him. Hey, who needs big name WRs when you've got Andy Reid?

He's a stubborn man and Duce Staley's wimpering will not get in the way of his plan. Staley is a moron for not recognizing this. Talk about barking up the wrong tree.

Flo, If your right explain to me why Reid hasn't cut him already to stop any camp distractions?

I find this totally out of character for Reid. Reid needs a vet rb who knows the west coast "O". He doesn't want to start the season without one.

I bet Ricky Watters agent is getting a call from Banner.:rotflmao: There's a vet he can bring in cheap and the guy can atleast be a vet backup.

Originally posted by tommy-the-greek

Flo, If your right explain to me why Reid hasn't cut him already to stop any camp distractions?

What exactly would Reid gain by cutting him - eliminate a "distraction"? What kind of distraction are you referring to? Do you think that in the middle of drills, WRs and DEs alike are huddled in a circle gossiping about Staley while ignoring Reid who is blowing his whistle till he turns blue in the face?

:coach:

Reid may be stubborn as hell, but he's not stupid. Staley, on the other hand, is. It's simply a matter of time before Staley will recognize that he's got nothing to gain and everything to lose and will come crawling back to the Eagles as an underpaid RB. If I know this, you can bet Reid does too. That's why he won't cut him.

As long as it's weakening the Iggles, I'm happy with it. GO DUCE!!!

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

Hey, I got Buckhalter in the late rounds of a fantasy draft hoping Staley doesn't show up. Of course, having to start an Eagle RB would make me violently :puke: .

So did I but as a backup. :D

Staley has plenty of leverage at this point. My bet is that he will hold out until the Eagles cut him or he will show up and play the last 6 weeks of the season and get his credited season. The Eagles cut him and he is likely to be in Tampa or Minnesota. The Eagles don't pay him, they risk their running game and protection of their franchise possession. If Buckhalter or Westbrook gets hurt, the Eagles will have more problems then they can imagine. How do you think Bobby Taylor would feel at that point if the Eagles do offer Staley an extension? It would open up another can of worms. The Eagles have shot themselves in the foot, and I expect the Giants to win the East right now. Maybe the Eagles will get lucky and find a veteran back with WCO experience that would be willing to accept a one year deal.

Originally posted by Flowtrain

What exactly would Reid gain by cutting him - eliminate a "distraction"? What kind of distraction are you referring to? Do you think that in the middle of drills, WRs and DEs alike are huddled in a circle gossiping about Staley while ignoring Reid who is blowing his whistle till he turns blue in the face?

Reids MO has been my way or the highway. Why hasn't he cut him? This is the same guy who let Trotter go without any compensation. I'll tell you why. Reid doesn't want to risk a injury to MCNabb because the new guy blows a blocking assignment. He doesn't want to start the season without a vet RB. The RB in the west coast "O" has to know complex blocking assignments. You can't just teach this in practice going against your own guys. This must be learned at full speed in NFL games against guys who really want to get after you QB. Watch the first Eagle preseason game and see if McNabb goes down hard because buckhalter misses his assignment. Then count how many times he fails to pick up blitzes and Mc Nabb is running for his life.

It's a touchy issue...He should come to camp because he has a deal and he should honor the deal. That I agree with...But Dan Wilkinson came to camp with a deal and he got screwed by the system...One good turn deserves another. If the NFL won't give guaranteed contracts then I can see why the players hold out from time to time. Careers are so short that they need to get what money they can while they can...If Duce gets hurt this year he's screwed outta what extra he could have gotten. I say keep holding out Duce...Especially if you are disrupting the Iggles.

Duce got really bad advice from his agent, this is how the eagles front office operates and their is nothing wrong with it(just business). Duce has a contract he is in final year of contract he owes the eagles that final year and the eagles owe him 2.2 million bucks to play that final year. The fans here in Philly are giving Duce zero support, as a Skins fan I hope it drags on for a while but, I think Duce is trying to find a way to save face and come back but, Reid is not offering any olive branches

If the NFL won't give guaranteed contracts then I can see why the players hold out from time to time. Careers are so short that they need to get what money they can while they can...If Duce gets hurt this year he's screwed outta what extra he could have gotten.

Steve, good point about the ability of teams to break contracts. But on the other hand, the players have fought for the right to become free agents, and now Duce is holding out because he doesn't like the uncertainty that comes with the benefits of the system. The Eagles are going to pay him 2.2 million friggin' dollars!

In today's NFL, players should not expect to have the right to retire with one team, and should not expect that Reid is going to bend over backwards (metaphorically, certainly not literally) to spell out Duce's future plans. But I will: Duce, if Buck sucks, you'll be the featured back in the future. If Buck does great, then you'll be a situational back. Easy as that.

I think Duce is trying to find a way to save face and come back but, Reid is not offering any olive branches

Chief, I agree. I think Reid has all the leverage, and I suspect that if he just made a conciliatory phone call to Duce, then Staley would be on the next plane to Bethlehem. Buckhalter has supposedly been doing very well in camp, which further reduces Duce's leverage, and it might not take much to help Staley save face and return.

Archived