Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Assumption from the BR:"Bill Cowher Is Ready To Coach the Washington Redskins"

FrFan

Bill Cowher Is Ready To Coach the Washington Redskins

When Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder finally rid the franchise of Vinny Cerrato, he decided to stay with the umbrella of Redskins legacy without losing his seemed mission of building his own legacy.

He hired Bruce Allen to become the seventh general manager in the team's 78 years of existence. Three of the previous seven general managers are members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, which includes Allen's father, George Allen.

Though Bruce Allen did not work in the front office for a NFL franchise until 1995, when he was nearly 40 years old, he had experience playing the game. He was drafted in the 12th round of the 1978 draft by the Baltimore Colts as a punter. The Colts' head coach was Ted Marchibroda, who had served as an offensive coordinator under his father from 1972 to 1974 with the Redskins.

Though Bruce Allen did not work in the front office for a NFL franchise until 1995, when he was nearly 40 years old, he had experience playing the game. He was drafted in the 12th round of the 1978 draft by the Baltimore Colts as a punter. The Colts' head coach was Ted Marchibroda, who had served as an offensive coordinator under his father from 1972 to 1974 with the Redskins.

The Oakland Raiders had just returned to Oakland after a 13-year excursion in Los Angeles in 1995, and Allen was hired to work beside Hall of Famer Al Davis. The pair oversaw a team that went to one Super Bowl and won the AFC West three times in his eight years with the team.

Allen was named the winner of the George Young Executive of the Year Award in 2002 as the Raiders reached the Super Bowl. He left Oakland to join the Tampa Bay Buccaneers before the 2003 season.

The move reunited him with head coach Jon Gruden, who had been the Raiders coach from 1998 to 2001. Gruden then joined the Buccaneers in 2002 and got revenge for being fired by the Raiders by defeating them in Super Bowl XXXVII. Both men stayed with the Buccaneers until they were fired at the conclusion of the 2008 season.

Now Snyder is asking Allen to follow a long line of success at the Redskins general manager position. The first one ever was Dick McCann, who has a memorial award named after him that is annually given to sportswriters for contributions to the game by the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

McCann was a former sportswriter himself, and the first executive director of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. It was his idea to have the media select those enshrined.

Bill McPeak was the general manager and head coach from 1961 to 1965. Though his teams lost mostly, including a one-win season in his first year, his era is most remembered for acquiring legendary Redskins like Sonny Jurgensen, Charley Taylor, Bobby Mitchell, Chris Hanburger, Jerry Smith, Len Hauss, Pat Richter, Joe Rutgens, Ron Snidow, and Paul Krause...............

Continue reading here

You know, as much as I think we will still hire Shanahan, I hope the Redskins don't jump the gun on Shanny and see if Cowher still wants to coach for us. I think Cowher will bring a hard nosed mentality to our team and build us up like he did with the Steelers. Cowher has been successful everywhere he goes and it shows, and I hope Snyder/Allen get the next head coach right instead of this decade of average to below average coaching staff.

I have to agree I'd prefer Cowher to Shanahan. Cowher seems to be a more passionate guy who would continue the Redskins tradition of defense and running game. I really feel Shanahan would be less likely to produce a perennial, consistent formidable presence in the NFCE.

Exactly, I think Bill will implement his strong will and leadership, better than Shanahan. I posted this article because I found it well documented and it does make sense eventhough, I must admit based on rumors it's unlikely to happen.

I have to agree I'd prefer Cowher to Shanahan. Cowher seems to be a more passionate guy who would continue the Redskins tradition of defense and running game. I really feel Shanahan would be less likely to produce a perennial, consistent formidable presence in the NFCE.

don't know about that. Shanahan would instantly put the NFCE on notice, as would Cowher. But this team doesn't score many points. Shanahan has an aggressive side when it comes to offense.

And Cowher even said himself that todays NFL is about passing the ball.

Exactly, I think Bill will implement his strong will and leadership, better than Shanahan. I posted this article because I found it well documented and it does make sense eventhough, I must admit based on rumors it's unlikely to happen.

Actually, we don't need a coach who gets in your face and yells/spits. Shanahan is probably the best fit for us. He runs a version of the WCO that Cowher doesn't, we don't need him to be a defensive guru since our defense is already good and just needs the right coordinator and to compete in the NFL nowadays you need to throw the ball. Riggo drill doesn't work anymore in this day and age. Of the 4 QBs in the NFC East, Jason would be listed at #4. Plus, Shanahan has been great developing QB's. Plummer wasn't squat until he went to Denver, Cutler has stuggled without him and even Brian Greise was all pro in Denver and stunk in Tampa/Chicago/Miami.

Archived