Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HogsHaven.com - Ted Leonsis Shares His Ten-Point Rebuilding Plan

Champskins

You mean, "goalie", i.e. Theodore.....for a vet he's looked terrible.

Valarmov and Neuvirth are fine.....

I mean goalies. Who are they going to rely on in the playoffs? They're more than likely set for the future, but right now I don't see it happening.

I was talking about last season with that comment.

Right now they have played well without him, but even then it's not enough to definitively say they could keep it up over the course of an entire season w/o Ovechkin.

Uh, last season they would have been fine also.

The "the team would suck without a particular superstar" line of thought is well, stupid.

The superstar is there. So is his complimentary cast. And they are pretty damn good together

8. Add veterans to the team via shorter term deals as free agents. Signing long-term, expensive deals for vets is very risky. We try to add vets to the mix for two year or three year deals. They fill in around our young core. They are very important for leadership, but they must complement the young core (NOT try to overtake them or be paid more than them). Identify and protect the core. Add veterans to complement them, not visa versa.

This one is my favorite. We violate the **** out of this one almost annually.

This occurred to me as far as football goes: draft and sign a bunch of players who are smart, somewhat athletic, and have heart. These are not studs or even starters on good teams. The point is to get the kind of team you need to play the kind of game you want. Once you've got a team that can execute well, but just doesn't have the necessary talent, then you start upgrading piece by piece. You keep the team intact (the frog in cold --> hot water metaphor), it builds on itself, you don't have wholesale changes, and it's the same system year in and year out. What do you guys think?

I mean goalies. Who are they going to rely on in the playoffs? They're more than likely set for the future, but right now I don't see it happening.

I would think they would lean on Valarmov, just like last year when he basically took the number 1 goalie position.

Aside from the flop in game 7 against Pittsburgh, he was awfully solid and is one of the better goalies in the NHL this year.

Hey, check us out....discussing the Caps on a Redskins board! Uh oh.

one thing i like about this post, and how it relates to the upcoming draft, is the focus on best player that fits your system.

i'm a Campbell supporter, but i have resigned myself to the likelihood that the new HC will want his own QB to groom. fortunately, there are very promising prospects of a number of different molds:

1) the Pocket Passer (ex: Tom Brady) - Clausen

2) the Shifty, Accurate Type (ex: Drew Brees) - Bradford

3) the Dual-Threat (ex: Donovan McNabb) - McCoy

4) the Wildcat (ex: Ronnie Brown?) - Tebow

so, basically, depending on what system our new HC/OC want, there will probably be a perfect fit QB to be drafted. i lean towards Clausen, myself, but i'll support whomever Allen+HC+OC agree on.

Uh, last season they would have been fine also.

The "the team would suck without a particular superstar" line of thought is well, stupid.

The superstar is there. So is his complimentary cast. And they are pretty damn good together

Disregarding the importance of arguably the best player in the NHL seems stupid to me, but I explained my position clearly, enough so not to warrant the discussion going to that.

Yes, I too said the superstar player was there and the team was being built around him. If that superstar isn't there, typically a team will struggle if it's for an extended amount of time. The Caps last season needed Ovechkin to make the playoffs, he was MVP that season afterall. This season the team is better, but IMO not enough so to make the playoffs w/o the league MVP. I explained it, you disagreed not-so respectfully, but whatever, so we're done here.

I would think they would lean on Valarmov, just like last year when he basically took the number 1 goalie position.

Aside from the flop in game 7 against Pittsburgh, he was awfully solid and is one of the better goalies in the NHL this year.

Hey, check us out....discussing the Caps on a Redskins board! Uh oh.

That's okay. Al Michaels gave the Caps and Ovie some nationwide love last Sunday night during a Redskins game...........Great stuff..............

I often see people respond to Leonsis' list by saying hockey isn't football and that building through the draft just doesn't work in football. Well just look at the Packers. They've been building themselves through the draft, and signing a key veteran here and there. still, you have a team that built through the draft and is showing some success as a result. If you have someone who has an eye for talent in the draft, you very well can succeed in building through it.

Point is that the Caps never would have gotten Ovechkin if Leonsis' rebuild hadn't been implemented. So while there was an element of luck in that the Caps jumped up in the lottery that year, the fact that they were in the lottery was was part of the rebuild. And really, while Ovechkin is a dominant player, the Caps have much more than just him. I'd prefer that Leonsis not go around touting his philosophy until the Caps have a Cup, however. Bad karma.

im amazed by how many people were able to work in a shot at leonsis or the caps in their posts

You have two types of Redskins fans. Many are also Caps fans. There is a certain synergy between the speed and violence of the two sports and I've noticed a good amount of overlap among the two fan bases. Then you have Redskins fans who are not hockey fans, are close-minded about the sport and are worried because the Caps fan base is growing and the Redskins is shrinking due to mismanagement of the team. To them I say: give it a rest. The BEST THING that could happen to the Redskins is if Snyder feels some competitive heat from other teams in town. One of the problems is that he's too fat and happy. He needs to feel it in the wallet.

Some of the posts about "they wouldn't win without Ovie" or "they don't have any goaltending"........................:doh:

Do any of you even watch the Caps?

Obviously they don't. They are the second type of Redskins fan that I referred to above. The type that don't like hockey and are, mistakenly, worried about the Caps growing popularity.

Archived