Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Star-Telegram: Jones gives vote of confidence to Dallas Cowboys coach Phillips

tr1

Posted Monday, Dec. 28, 2009

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1857347.html

By CLARENCE E. HILL JR.

IRVING — Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones gave embattled coach Wade Phillips somewhat of a vote of confidence following the 17-0 playoff-clinching victory against the Washington Redskins on Sunday.

Although he has yet to give Phillips a contract extension, Jones said he doesn’t want to make a coaching change.

He also gave Phillips credit for how well the Cowboys are playing down the stretch.

The Cowboys are riding a two-game winning streak and play the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday for a shot at a second division title in three years under Phillips.

Phillips offered no reaction to Jones’ words of praise. He is 32-16 in three years as Cowboys coach and has the team in the playoffs for the second time during the span.

The Cowboys have only made four playoff appearances in the 10 years prior to Phillips arrival.

The one commonality is that the Cowboys have no playoff wins since 1996. Phillips knows if that doesn’t change this season, then Jones’ positive words will ring hollow at the end of the year.

So he said his focus simply is on Sunday’s game against the Eagles.

"We’ve talked about that before, all that," Phillips said.

"All I’m thinking about is Philadelphia and trying to do a good job coaching this team, getting ready for that game and getting ready for the playoffs. It’s not really a factor to me. I just try to do it the right way, that’s what I do."

Phillips said it’s important to win Sunday, not only to win the NFC East, but to claim home-field advantage in the first round of the playoffs, where the Cowboys will likely face the Eagles again.

He said it’s always better to play at home.

DeCamillis at home

Special teams coach Joe DeCamillis flew home from Washington via owner Jerry Jones’ private jet Monday, just one day after undergoing an emergency appendectomy and missing Sunday’s game against the Redskins.

And according to Wade Phillips, DeCamillis plans on being back at work today.

"He says he’s going to be in [today]," Phillips said during his Monday news conference. "It wouldn’t surprise me."

Phillips lauded all of his coaches and players for picking up the slack for DeCamillis.

His son, Wes Phillips, handled the specials teams, but he received assistance from strength coach Joe Juraszek.

Still, Phillips said they couldn’t have done it without DeCamillis. Phillips said DeCamillis even apologized to him for missing the game as he was being taken to the hospital.

"Joe had them prepared," Wade Phillips said. "In fact, he did all the way up through the meeting Sunday morning, then he came down with that about 2 o’clock in the afternoon. But he had them prepared. I thought the guys really banded together."

Phillips studies bad plays

Wade Phillips praised players for their effort in Sunday’s game against the Redskins, including Tony Romo sits to pee, Jason Witten, Leonard Davis, Bradie James, Keith Brooking, Jay Ratliff and Anthony Spencer.

He couldn’t deny the two negatives from the game — the Cowboys’ failures on fourth-and-1 and receiver Roy Williams’ dropped passes.

Phillips said the yardage game will be addressed.

Regarding Williams, who had one catch, a 4-yard touchdown, and had two drops in a continuation of what has been a disappointing season, Phillips chose to play defense.

Asked if the Cowboys were starting to lose confidence in Williams, Phillips said "Nah, I thought he had a touchdown in the game, didn’t he? We scored 17; he scored six of them, so he made an important play in the game."

"I don't want to take anything away from our players, but I think what you're seeing develop and evolve is 100 percent Wade Phillips," Jones said. "I know how hard he's working. When our defense is playing [well] and our team really realizes how much of him is involved in the defense, then it does give him huge credibility."

This is just tremendous!

:rotflmao:

Vote's of confidence are NEVER a good thing, particularly where someone as flaky as Jerruh is concerned, but from the outside looking in, (with no "agenda" ala the OP), it seems to me Phillips has pretty much fulfilled his remit to date this year.

He's taken control of the D and molded a top end unit, something the Cowboys needed badly; returned Dallas to the tournament; and is a home game away from only their fourth divisional title in the 14 season's since the last Lombardi.

I know the SB is the ultimate goal, but what more could he of been expected to do this year?

Hail.

If Jerry decides to go a different direction than Wade, I would be very happy if DeCamillis is given the Head Coaching job.

HUH? DeCamillis has never held any HC job, and you'd want to give him the big stage in the NFL because of 1 decent year of Special teams? No way.

First of all Wade could have laid down and collected a check and chose not to. He is fixing that defense, while not yet perfect, played very well this year considering a few games and some refs. The refs for all teams as well.

DeCamillis has worked Special teams and its been this one year, plus with his health he is not going to make a year at the HC level because of all the work that job requires. yes hes been something special because of what hes had to battle but he needs a year or two to get better players into the ST, and will have a hard time depending on what the team does with Hurd, because while hurd does nothing on offense, hes been a ST demon for us leading the team with tackles on ST.

Jerry Jones is doing what most of us Cowboy fans love him for, working a deal and making sure the Cowboys come out on top. Love him or hate him, you know you want JJ in your corner when most deals are done. hes going to stand behind his coach unlike other organizations and let Wade Phillips fate be decided by the barometer of the year. Go deep in the playoffs and the job is yours, 1 and done and the next HC has full control and have to get him in early.

I dont care either way which way the ball bounces, but i am hoping if the change needs to be done, it is done quickly and correctly. I would also like for Garrett and Houck and Bret maxie to be shown the door regardless of the outcome.

i'm starting to think the problem isn't wade phillips, but jason garrett.

Starting? he has been the problem the whole year....Wade I can deal with, he has taken the D to the next level...Is he a great coach?....no but we could do alot worse.........All I can hope for is that enough teams fire there present head coach that someone is dumb enough to hire Garrett as their next head coach.....Nothing would make me happer to see him leave Dallas

Funny, only a few puke fans are willing to give Wade a big thumbs up...

I guess they're waiting on the playoff results, eh?

Typical for fair weather fans.

Come on fellas, doesn't Wade deserve another year?

:rotflmao:

Because they question their coach, they are fair weather fans? Wow, you better not go into the stadium because I don't think there is a skins fan left if thats the case.

So I take it, you are a big fan of Zorn, correct? Cause if not, you'd consider yourself a fair weather fan, right?

Because they question their coach, they are fair weather fans? Wow, you better not go into the stadium because I don't think there is a skins fan left if thats the case.

So I take it, you are a big fan of Zorn, correct? Cause if not, you'd consider yourself a fair weather fan, right?

Try to answer the question instead of attacking me, eh? :rotflmao:

Where's your vote of confidence for Wade? Or, do you hate him?

Because it shows a total lack of confidence in your team...unless they win. It's a very 'fair weather' thing to do.

The absolute truth of the situation is that Cowboys fans still cannot trust this team.

Its foolish to act as if "We've ARRIVED!!" when all we've done is made it into the tournament.

That's not good enough for Cowboys fans.

Its not fair weather at all... its having high expectations for a team that should be able to attain success and reserving judgement until we see what happens.

If we were in here praising Wade Phillips or predicting playoff success... you'd be calling us homers... but since we're not, you're calling us fair weather fans. Its stupid.

HUH? DeCamillis has never held any HC job, and you'd want to give him the big stage in the NFL because of 1 decent year of Special teams? No way.

First of all Wade could have laid down and collected a check and chose not to. He is fixing that defense, while not yet perfect, played very well this year considering a few games and some refs. The refs for all teams as well.

DeCamillis has worked Special teams and its been this one year, plus with his health he is not going to make a year at the HC level because of all the work that job requires. yes hes been something special because of what hes had to battle but he needs a year or two to get better players into the ST, and will have a hard time depending on what the team does with Hurd, because while hurd does nothing on offense, hes been a ST demon for us leading the team with tackles on ST.

Jerry Jones is doing what most of us Cowboy fans love him for, working a deal and making sure the Cowboys come out on top. Love him or hate him, you know you want JJ in your corner when most deals are done. hes going to stand behind his coach unlike other organizations and let Wade Phillips fate be decided by the barometer of the year. Go deep in the playoffs and the job is yours, 1 and done and the next HC has full control and have to get him in early.

I dont care either way which way the ball bounces, but i am hoping if the change needs to be done, it is done quickly and correctly. I would also like for Garrett and Houck and Bret maxie to be shown the door regardless of the outcome.

DeCamillis arrives in Dallas with 21 years of NFL coaching experience, including the past 16 as the team's special teams coach.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/team_biosCoachExec.cfm?newName=Joe_DeCamillis

It's not like he's some young new Coach fresh off the street. He's had success wherever he's been, why not ?

Archived