Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan Dares to Be Great(NYTimes 1998 Article)

MAATopDogg

shanny is exactly what this franchise needs...someone who has already been thru the process with learning...and knows "today" how to win and lead a team. Zorn was an ok hire if we were to keep him for 5 years or so (to give him time to learn from his mistakes) But the big problem is...there was no guarantee Zorn was ever going to "get it"

Zorn needs to get that OC job first with a growing team....or get a gig as a O-line coach or something (something other than a QB coach) So he can learn different positions/aspects of the game.

I don't think spelling is a proper indicator of a person's intelligence.

But anyway, I've generally (last couple of years) been against a Mike Shanahan hiring. Not anything negative against him, I've just had my sights set on Bill Cowher and I thought Shanahan looked run down and tired. I like how tough and physical and disciplined and well-rounded Cowher's teams have been. But I'll be honest and say the more I read on Shanahan, the more I like him. And I'm now at the point where he's become my top hope for the Redskins. Reading this article has cemented it.

For one, I like his experience. For a second, I like his experience. :) What a rich history this guy has. I knew (basically) the details, but articles like this really tweak the context of it all and make me understand just how knowledgeable this guy is. I love how borderline obsessed he is with collecting information for his encyclopedic book of plays. Reminds me of a lot of what we've heard about Gruden. And I imagine if Gruden returns to coaching and is successful for another 15 years and paired with a lot of good coaches, he'll get to where Shanahan is now. :) Besides all that, he's been through the ups and downs of overhauled teams and established teams. He knows how to run a franchise. He's learned from the best.

And to think, Shanahan is only one year older than Jim Zorn.

I like the precision he expects out of a team, and the discipline he demands in practice. Reading that his practices aren't physical did, to be honest, turn me off. I've always felt like the Redskins come out of the gate softer than the top teams, and that's part of why I liked the idea of Cowher. But I'm fine with non-physically demanding camps if the players are expected to execute flawlessly, made to run extra sprints, etc. As long as the 'Skins show up ready to play, in other words.

I like that Shanahan is studying his opponent *during* the game. With Zorn, and I hate to say it, it was always about how he needed to look at the tape. Yes, I'm sure you get a much better picture of things from looking at the tape. And yes, I'm sure he's saying that to the media as a way to couch his words, but it just strikes me as contrary to the idea of learning during a game and making changes during a game to help you win during a game. Reading the part about how he scripted his opening sequence and then used that time to observe what the defense was doing? Well, maybe every coach is figuring that stuff out, but the fact that Shanahan is known for it gets me excited.

And let's be honest, Shanahan is a good coach. One of the few big names who can make a big splash for a big market, Redskins team, and yet have everything you want from a coach to back up the hype, have all the ability to turn this team around in a way that it needs.

Yes, he only won Super Bowls when he had Elway and Davis, but come on. Let's be real. Winning the big one is tough. Getting there is tough. Lots of good coaches got close but never made it, not until the perfect storm of talent and everything else converged. Examples abound.

As fans, we want to see the team win it all every year, but are we going to complain if we *only* become a routinely good team? If Shanahan comes here for 10 years and we have one losing season in that 10 year run, make the play-offs 7 times, and have a few decent runs in the play-offs -- shoot! That's a very good run of excellence! I'll take that over the (mostly) garbage of the past 17 or whatever years any day. And if Shanahan can establish a front office that allows for continuity beyond his time here, then we're as golden as golden can be.

Yeah, I'm worried, like everyone else, about Slowik and the personnel decisions, but I liked discovering that Shanahan has a personnel guy that he trusts -- and that it's not like he's trying to play GM himself. Plus, he knows his system well and he knows what types of players he needs and Allen is going to need some time to get on board with that, until the two can work together like Belichick-Pioli. And as for Slowik, hopefully we do get a guy like Zimmer who has a better reputation. But either way, that's Allen's job. If the defense falls off tremendously next year and Slowik is our DC, then Allen has to step in and tell Shanahan that he needs to be smart and make a change. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but if Shanahan makes some kind of demand for Slowik, then I'd begrudgingly accept it to get Shanahan. For now. :)

I am hearing Zimmerman will be the defensive coordinator because the Bengals are not coming off the money. I am so confused on this Kyle situation. Just because his son might be a good offensive coordinator, does not mean Kyle will be a good head coach. So lets just ride Mike as long as Mike can coach, then wait and see when that times comes to replace Mike. Well first, lets hire Shanahan because that is not even guaranteed yet.

I agree with this entire statement, but why worry who are coach is going to be after Mike Shanahan, if we get him at all. Let's just enjoy our time with him as coach as he becomes the FIRST coach to win a SB with two different teams.

Do you even understand what St21 was talking about? He didn't say he supported Campbell he was pointing out the fact

It's not a questioning of Campbell's intelligence. The fact is he has trouble learning complicated or voluminous playbooks, as evidenced by his struggles not only with Saunders but with Gibbs and even having to have the field cut in half during the first part of 2008.

At no point in his career has Jason demonstrated the mastery of the playbook like Todd Collins has (and I'm including during this year, everyone says he's known the Saunders playbook but also mastered the Zorn WCO--not that the latter is difficult lol)

It doesn't mean Jason is stupid, some people learn differently or have trouble applying complicated concepts physically after learning them mentally. Hell, even highly intelligent people would struggle with the verbiage that one has to learn as an NFL QB.

Who does that article remind you of? Joe Gibbs 1. Gibbs made in game adjustments, master at halftime adjustments, expected perfection in execution and best of all could find the defenses weaknesses.

And I'm tired of hearing how Shanahan only won a SB because of Elway. BULL HOCKEY! He won in spite of Elway. Elway was 37 and 38 years old, past his prime. The Broncos won because he had Davis, a great offensive line, a pro-bowl TE and an up and coming HOF WR (Rod Smith). Also, for everyone saying they are worried about Shanahan not being involved in the defense, was Joe Gibbs? Petitbone took care of our defense. The good news is, we already have a good defense, that could actually get better with a better scheme and an offense putting up at least 27 PPG. Chew on that!

Who does that article remind you of? Joe Gibbs 1. Gibbs made in game adjustments, master at halftime adjustments, expected perfection in execution and best of all could find the defenses weaknesses.

And I'm tired of hearing how Shanahan only won a SB because of Elway. BULL HOCKEY! He won in spite of Elway. Elway was 37 and 38 years old, past his prime. The Broncos won because he had Davis, a great offensive line, a pro-bowl TE and an up and coming HOF WR (Rod Smith). Also, for everyone saying they are worried about Shanahan not being involved in the defense, was Joe Gibbs? Petitbone took care of our defense. The good news is, we already have a good defense, that could actually get better with a better scheme and an offense putting up at least 27 PPG. Chew on that!

And it's out of the park. Nice post as usual.

Archived