Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC News: Two al Qaeda Leaders Behind Northwest Flight 253 Terror Plot Were Released

GhostofSparta

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/men-believed-northwest-airlines-plot-set-free/story?id=9434065

Two al Qaeda Leaders Behind Northwest Flight 253 Terror Plot Were Released by U.S.

Former Guantanamo Prisoners Believed Behind Northwest Airlines Bomb Plot; Sent to Saudi Arabia in 2007

By BRIAN ROSS, ANNA SCHECTER and JOSEPH RHEE

Dec. 28, 2009

Two of the four leaders allegedly behind the al Qaeda plot to blow up a Northwest Airlines passenger jet over Detroit were released by the U.S. from the Guantanamo prison in November, 2007, according to American officials and Department of Defense documents. Al Qaeda claimed responsibility for the Northwest bombing in a Monday statement that vowed more attacks on Americans.

American officials agreed to send the two terrorists from Guantanamo to Saudi Arabia where they entered into an "art therapy rehabilitation program" and were set free, according to U.S. and Saudi officials.

Guantanamo prisoner #333, Muhamad Attik al-Harbi, and prisoner #372, Said Ali Shari, were sent to Saudi Arabia on Nov. 9, 2007, according to the Defense Department log of detainees who were released from American custody. Al-Harbi has since changed his name to Muhamad al-Awfi.

Click the link for the rest.

Sooo, you're tellin me that the people in GITMO are bad. Really? I had no idea. I though these guys were only there for our former president's sick torture fettish.

I had a pretty strong feeling they were bad, but I was for sure certain that they would be reformed from all their badness, after spending a few years in prison, and when released, would then turn over a new leaf, and live a life as honorable citizens, showing full respect to the U.S.A.

Who woulda thunk that terrorists would leave prison, and then become terrorists again ? :whoknows:

Here's a great article by Hitchens about the airline incident and terrorism in general...

http://www.slate.com/id/2239935/

Great article from Hitchens. He makes excellent points.

I may be wasting my time, of course, but I do hope people who come in this thread are at least willing to read the first paragraph that states they were released in 2007.

I'm not a big fan of many of Obama's policies, I'll admit, but this one falls squarely on the shoulders of the "Compassionate Conservative" Bush.

I'm not a big fan of many of Obama's policies, I'll admit, but this one falls squarely on the shoulders of the "Compassionate Conservative" Bush.

Certainly does, as the Decider he's the man.

So how does the large group they wish to release to Yemen sound now?

Bleeding heart fools

Certainly does, as the Decider he's the man.

So how does the large group they wish to release to Yemen sound now?

Bleeding heart fools

I'm much more worried about incompetent fools rather then bleeding heart ones. Competent ones will know who to release and who to be compassionate about.

I'm much more worried about incompetent fools rather then bleeding heart ones. Competent ones will know who to release and who to be compassionate about.

You think so?...is it that easy to know the mind of a man?

Care to look and see who pushed for the release of a number of terrorists and murderers?

But then maybe the competent ones don't do the deciding anyway.

Here's a great article by Hitchens about the airline incident and terrorism in general...

http://www.slate.com/id/2239935/

It's getting to the point where the twin news stories more or less write themselves. No sooner is the fanatical and homicidal Muslim arrested than it turns out that he (it won't be long until it is also she) has been known to the authorities for a long time. But somehow the watch list, the tipoff, the many worried reports from colleagues and relatives, the placing of the name on a "central repository of information" don't prevent the suspect from boarding a plane, changing planes, or bringing whatever he cares to bring onto a plane. This is now a tradition that stretches back to several of the murderers who boarded civilian aircraft on Sept. 11, 2001, having called attention to themselves by either a) being on watch lists already or B) weird behavior at heartland American flight schools. They didn't even bother to change their names.

Actually, I'd paint with a slightly broader brush.

Whenever anything bad happens, it's inevitable that information will come out which people will point at and claim "they should have known".

When an airplane crashes, they have an investigation. And a year or two after the crash, the NTSB will conclude that the plane crashed because the dilithium phase inverter failed.

And people will do a Google search on the airplane company's emails, and lo! They'll discover a memo from some Dilbert-level engineer, saying that he thinks the dilithium phase inverter might be a hazard and we should look at changing that design.

Problem is, if you dig enough, you'll discover a memo about every single part in that airplane that somebody wanted to change.

Find a mass murderer, and a day or two later the media will find some guy who'll say "I always knew there was something funny about that guy. And I said so, to lots of people."

(Just as it's also inevitable that they'll find people who'll say "they were very nice neighbors. Never made any noise.")

Or they'll discover that the guy was previously in jail, but got released.

(Sometimes, people who've been released from prison commit other crimes. Sometimes, they don't.)

Only problem is, y'know what? :secret:The science of predicting what people are going to do in the future? It isn't real accurate.

That's the problem with locking people because you think they might do something, in the future.

Only problem is, y'know what? :secret:The science of predicting what people are going to do in the future? It isn't real accurate.

That's the problem with locking people because you think they might do something, in the future.

But I can tell you for sure what Dan Snyder will do in the future, as soon as the season ends :)

What I love even more is Janet Incompantano statement that the system worked and we are safer for it.

Wait, didn't a terrorist get past security onto a plane and almost blow it up but for the fact that it malfunctioned and didn't work?? So exactly how did the system work to keep us safe??

dumb luck?? :doh:

What I love even more is Janet Incompantano statement that the system worked and we are safer for it.

Wait, didn't a terrorist get past security onto a plane and almost blow it up but for the fact that it malfunctioned and didn't work?? So exactly how did the system work to keep us safe??

People prayed to Jesus before takeoff.

Jesus > Allah.

System worked. We're safer.

:silly:

LMAO! (j/k)

This guy was screened in a foreign country, tho.

Serious question - how much control do we have over how passengers are screened when they depart from another nation (especially one that may not be on good terms with the U.S.) to arrive into the U.S. ?

This guy was screened in a foreign country, tho.

Serious question - how much control do we have over how passengers are screened when they depart from another nation (especially one that may not be on good terms with the U.S.) to arrive into the U.S. ?

Quite a bit actually,in fact the procedures at the terminal he boarded at had just had a TSA inspection a month before....and passed

Flying is not a right ,nor the operation of a airline in our airspace.

I thought it was the actual contract in Saudi Arabia Wahhabism(sp) that says to destroy America as she is the evil of the world?

I can't tell if you are joking or not, but Wahhabism is just a very conservative and strict interpretation of the Quran. Nothing in it about America or about Saudi Arabia.

Archived