Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I think spotting the ball must be incredibly difficult

Westbrook36

I am your average NFL fan. I watch games with a predudiced view as to when my team is getting screwed over by the refs. One area where I feel that my team is always getting juiced is on the spots by officals. With the power of multiple angle reviews, it always appears that the officals are a yard off on most spots.

I normally only notice it when either team gets close to the 1st down marker. Most of the time, when the other team has the ball, I'm always thinking "Come on, he didn't get that far. What are you doing?" When the Eagles have the ball, they never move the ball up far enough.

I sat back and thought about it rationally and realized that spotting the ball in real time must be the most difficult things the refs have to do. Think about it, they get one chance to see the play. Then, from an angle that is normally not in line with the play, they must run in and spot the ball.

I think I'd screw it up every single time.

I am your average NFL fan. I watch games with a predudiced view as to when my team is getting screwed over by the refs. One area where I feel that my team is always getting juiced is on the spots by officals. With the power of multiple angle reviews, it always appears that the officals are a yard off on most spots.

I normally only notice it when either team gets close to the 1st down marker. Most of the time, when the other team has the ball, I'm always thinking "Come on, he didn't get that far. What are you doing?" When the Eagles have the ball, they never move the ball up far enough.

I sat back and thought about it rationally and realized that spotting the ball in real time must be the most difficult things the refs have to do. Think about it, they get one chance to see the play. Then, from an angle that is normally not in line with the play, they must run in and spot the ball.

I think I'd screw it up every single time.

your 100% right, doing it in High School ball is extremely difficult, which I know first hand........its really difficult and something we as fans just have to take it for what it is.......

Judging only on games where I don't have a rooting interest, I'm amazed they do as well as they do, because I think you're right in that it is a difficult task. I know that I often say "bad spot" to the TV, only to retract that when the replay is shown. They get it right a high percentage of time.

AS to the quality of officiating in general, people sitting on their couch in front of hi-def 56 inch screens who view multiple-angle, slow motion replays forget that the refs see a play one time at incredible speed. To be right as often as they are is remarkable, and gets lost sometimes in all the ****ing when calls don't go fans' way.

I feel like the NFL officials get the spot of the ball correct a very high percentage of the time.

The few times they do get it wrong is usually magnified by the situation of the game and the replays shown.

I, too, am amazed at how accurate they usually are... spotting the ball at the speed of NFL players has got to be extremely difficult.

Even more difficult is probably determining whether a receiver is in bounds AND has full possession of the ball at the same exact time. That's got to be very difficult because you're having to recognize two different things that are normally further apart from each other than when spotting where the ball is when a player goes down.

Archived