Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What will the new decade bring?

leprecaun24

Amid all this negativity and embarrassing moments that we have suffered this past decade, I would like to ring in the new year a little early.

Never have I personally witnessed a beating at the hands of dem boys before in the form of a shutout, but how apropos it is that we finished this decade in the same manner we started.

It was 1999, we stole an entire draft from the New Orleans Saints, ready to build a dynasty and just finished the season victors, champions of NFC East crown at 10-6.

But as the season wound to a close we found ourselves without Casserly, our GM at the time, and submitted the reigns to what would be an the incompetent regime of Dan Snyder and company (who handled our team much like Bush handled the economy; looked good at times, filled with false hopes, and lofty goals, but we were always on a downward spiral).

So the 2000's came and we were faced with mediocrity after mediocrity. Sure we had our hope, christmas gifts of Joe Gibbs, Colt Brennan, and Haynesworth. One of the greatest come from behind wins against the cowboys in 05, and drafted two receivers in 08, who were thought to go in the first round. But in the end we know the result.

We lost Sean Taylor, we watched bust after bust of our draft picks, and come playoffs, excluding the 05 and 07 season of course, we were here, wondering what good could come of this mess.

Well it wasn't but a couple weeks ago that we were informed that a there was a new GM in town, and quite possibly, a new coach, who would assume the role of team president, alleviating the Stasi's control, at least we can only hope.

But whatever comes of this new decade, I can only look up. Because we are so far in the tunnel, that to finish this decade, being shutout by our most hated of rivals, with the final nail in the coffin being hammered in by one of our many choking kickers, that it shouldn't be any worse than this.

I just say good riddance to 2000's and welcome the decade of the twenty-teens. With Philly winding down, and the giants in limbo, this should be our chance to rise back. We have one game left, but who cares. Honestly.

But maybe this new decade will be more of the same, what do you say? Will it change? Or become a typical season for the fans of redskin's nation?

Whatever you believe, I wish you all a Happy New Year, and hope the new decade brings you the best.

HTTR

Hopefully not more of the same from the last decade. Did anyone see that stat last night which showed the teams that have averaged the fewest points per game in the last decade?

Detroit was the worst, at 16.0 PPG, Cleveland was next...and Washington was third. And that is despite the fact that we had four offensive coaches (Turner, Spurrier, Gibbs, Zorn) for 9 of those 10 seasons.

I hope and pray everyday that this offseason will be the beginning of the New Washington Redskins. and that we will go about business in the correct manner where players keep their mouth shut and are just happy to be a part of the Skins organization. It will take a few years and we fans will have to be patient as will the Owner but we can rite this ship.

HTTR

Detroit was the worst, at 16.0 PPG, Cleveland was next...and Washington was third. And that is despite the fact that we had four offensive coaches (Turner, Spurrier, Gibbs, Zorn) for 9 of those 10 seasons.

I knew our offense has been a joke for many years, but wow. I didn't know that. I can't remember the last time we had a good offensive season.

Then again, I can't remember the last time we had a good QB.

Great thread OP.

I think things are going to change in the new decade. If Snyder truly steps back, lets Allen be a GM and gives Shanahan (presumably) the Team President title w/ personnel control like Joe Gibbs had, things will change for the better.

If he can't resist keeping his hands out of the cookie jar, then we'll be in for more of the same garbage.

You guys are way too pessimistic.

These things go in cycles. We've been bad with a brief respite in 99, 05 and 07 but eventually we will be good again. I'm not guaranteeing Super Bowls but I think it's foolish to think it's forever.

As I've mentioned repeatedly, franchises that have tried to replace legendary coaches/QBs often struggled mightily for a decade or more.

Everyone ****es about Snyder but can someone tell me where Green Bay went after its last SB? Until what, the Majik Man just before Favre? That's a long time!

Denver had some measure of success even after Elway but not nearly the level of that era.

San Fran, same thing trying to replace Young, though they did have a nice transition between Montana/Walsh and Young/Seifert/etc Once those were gone? Some measure of playoff success with Garcia, I guess...

New York after Parcells?

It will turn around, even in spite of boneheadedness on the part of the team or owner.

And I think a lot of you REALLY overstate Snyder's role in all of this, especially when the only playoff teams we've had (and wins) have come during his ownership term.

Snyder's damning trait is his impatience, bred by his corporate attitude. 'Profit now, or the shareholders/investors get angry' became 'win now, or the fan base gets angry.'

Unfortunately, you cannot be impatient building a football team. Until Snyder learns this we will not field a consistent high caliber team.

Archived