Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Dry Spell = A Lost Generation?

Dan T.

On January 24, 2010, two NFC teams will play for the NFC Championship. (Take your pick from the Saints, Eagles, Vikings, Cardinals, Cowboys, and Packers.)

Many 18 year old Redskins fans will be watching that game. For the entire lifetime of those 18 year olds, only two NFC teams have never appeared in an NFC title game. One is the Detroit Lions. The other is the Washington Redskins. (Those two teams faced off on January 12, 1992, with the Redskins winning 41-10.) Since that game, every team in the NFC has played in the conference championship, except the Lions and the Skins.

So during that span, baby Redskins fans are born and reach adulthood and never see the team playing for an NFC championship and a spot in the Super Bowl, while every other team in the conference - except the Lions - do. That struck me as a stark illustration of the dry spell this team's fans have suffered. I salute those young fans who support the team having never experienced the thrill of a championship. And I wonder whether the passion of previous generations of Skins fans, who have experienced the thrill of Championship victories and hold onto those memories through lean times, can be matched by this generation who has never experienced a Championship.

I barely remember the Skins Super Bowl win in 1991/1992. I was only 5 years old. I don't even know what it feels like to celebrate a Super Bowl win. I hope we all get to celebrate one in the next few seasons.

I thought I was 5, but must have been 6 for that. My elementary school wouldn't let us into the Cafeteria until we all lined up and sang Hail to the Redskins. This happened every day for two weeks leading up to the Super Bowl. It was awesome. I also vividly remember the game.

But a lot of my childhood friends are in your boat. Two of them, :doh:, claimed some weird reason to become Steelers fans a few years back.

I thought I was 5, but must have been 6 for that. My elementary school wouldn't let us into the Cafeteria until we all lined up and sang Hail to the Redskins. This happened every day for two weeks leading up to the Super Bowl. It was awesome. I also vividly remember the game.

But a lot of my childhood friends are in your boat. Two of them, :doh:, claimed some weird reason to become Steelers fans a few years back.

Most of my friends aren't even Redskin fans. I think more of my friends are Cowboy fans than Redskin fans. Even a good amount are Raven fans. Its pretty sad. I've lived in Maryland my whole life. Grew up in PG county, lived in St.Mary's, and have lived in Baltimore since college. But yeah, sad to see so many people my age that have lived here their whole lives and not be Redskin fans.

Almost all of my friends are Eagles or Cowboys fans. It's sad and I take a whole lot of crap every year and every Sunday when we embarrass ourselves in epic ways but I know it's going to be that much better when we actually start winning.

Go Skins :dallasuck:eaglesuck:gaintsuck

On January 24, 2010, two NFC teams will play for the NFC Championship. (Take your pick from the Saints, Eagles, Vikings, Cardinals, Cowboys, and Packers.)

Many 18 year old Redskins fans will be watching that game. For the entire lifetime of those 18 year olds, only two NFC teams have never appeared in an NFC title game. One is the Detroit Lions. The other is the Washington Redskins. (Those two teams faced off on January 12, 1992, with the Redskins winning 41-10.) Since that game, every team in the NFC has played in the conference championship, except the Lions and the Skins.

So during that span, baby Redskins fans are born and reach adulthood and never see the team playing for an NFC championship and a spot in the Super Bowl, while every other team in the conference - except the Lions - do. That struck me as a stark illustration of the dry spell this team's fans have suffered. I salute those young fans who support the team having never experienced the thrill of a championship. And I wonder whether the passion of previous generations of Skins fans, who have experienced the thrill of Championship victories and hold onto those memories through lean times, can be matched by this generation who has never experienced a Championship.

I am fortunate to remember the 91 season. I thought the Redskins were invincible, untouchable, the best.

What I see now is sickening and disgraceful to the history, tradition, and legacy of this once great franchise.

I have no idea how the youngsters cheer for this horrible team, these guys SUCK and do not deserve to be cheered. They crap on everything this franchise used to be, Snyder included.

I'm a third generation fan, I have no idea if there will be a 4th generation in my family with how horrible things are, sadly I do not see a light at the end of the tunnel.

So Shanny comes in, how long will he have before Snyder grows impatient? 2 years, 3 years?

Seriously folks, the Redskins passed away after the 1999 season. Gibbs tried his hardest to bring things back to normal, god bless him, but IMO the skins died after the 1999 season.

Well as one of the old farts that remembers when George Allen was stalking the sidelines, I can tell you it isn't any easier for us. Much like Detroit we had our own Matt Millen and it has weighed heavily on us all, but if this is what it takes to finally convince TheDan that he MUST hire pros and let them do their jobs running the franchise, it will be worth it.

And I look forward to that crazed energy of youth exploding when they do finally get a chance to experience success.

This stat, combined with the fact that only the Browns and the Lions have scored fewer PPG over the last decade brings me to one conclusion. The worst team over that stretch is the Lions, with the Skins a close second. It's hard to believe just how far this once proud franchise has fallen.

I went to the NFC championship game in 1992. It was the first time in my life that I can remember screaming at the top of my lungs and not being able to hear myself. Seriously, it was that loud. The stadium was shaking. Barry Sanders could go nowhere. Man, those were the days.

You make really good points about the trials of current fans. I mean, I was a hardcore fan growing up and it's been difficult for me too. If I am having trouble rooting for this team anymore, I can only imagine this younger generation having to grow up during this time, with these players and especially this ownership. If I were growing up today it would certainly be much more difficult to stay interested. That's what is so disheartening to me - Dan Snyder will be running this team until he dies, and then his children most likely. He just has not shown that he is capable of doing the right thing. Firing Vinny is a step in the right direction, but I am maintaining a healthy skepticism until Bruce Allen makes some good moves.

On another note, I can't believe that Detroit and the Redskins are the only 2 teams in the NFC that have not been to an NFC championship since that game. When you put it in that light it really is kind of eye opening and sad.

i can tell you one thing, if i didn't grow up in a family that was full of diehard skins fans, i wouldn't be one.

growing up the redskins have consistently sucked.

why would you pick them to cheer for? especially if you have the ravens close by as another team to pick?

we have lost an entire generation. and its going to take another generation just to recover from it.

I was a freshman in high school the last time we went to the Superbowl. :doh:

If you are going to lose a generation, these are the ones you want to lose. Might make the fan base better.

Plus with anti-aging meds around the corner and HGH etc., we can fill the stands with grumpy old guys who remember the good times and can still boo with the best of them.

I barely remember the Skins Super Bowl win in 1991/1992. I was only 5 years old. I don't even know what it feels like to celebrate a Super Bowl win. I hope we all get to celebrate one in the next few seasons.

I was about a month shy of 6 when the 'Skins last won the big one. I do at least have 1 incredible memory as a fan...I was AT the only playoff game in FedEx history. That's something that will always stay with me, it was an amazing day.

Other than that....I've been a die-hard fan all my life, but I can feel the numbness/calousedness starting to kick in after this year. I hate to admit it, but I just feel like if they're not competitors by the time I reach 30, I won't be the only fan who suddenly finds Sundays free (at least around the end of November). Dan Snyder has this team on the edge of oblivion, and the Ravens being local winners are going to drain the younger fans away.

My first memory as a Skins fan is a 3-0 loss to the Jets which was a year or two after the SB win. All I know is failure from this team. :( But it'll make the winning that much better whenever it finally comes.

Not really. Because normal for you is watching losing. Anything more than that is a bonus.

When normal is watching winning year after year, then going through this period of disaster, getting back to winning will be better for this group. The pendulum will swing from extreme bitterness to happiness. For your group it will go from normal to happiness.

I've been a diehard Skins fan since birth and I've lived in this area my entire life so I'll throw my .02 in here.

Over the years I've heard several people say, and it's true, that the Redskins have always been a sense of community in the D.C. area. When the Bullets were winning back in the day, from everything I hear the town didn't go nuts, just Bullets fans. The Caps in the 80's had the Cap Centre off the hook in the playoffs, but those who were excited were the small segment of Caps fans in the area. Neither of those teams created a metro-area wide buzz. Even if the Nats become a great team in the next several years, I don't think they'll be an area-wide buzz about it. When the Skins are winning, the entire D.C. metro area is buzzing. When a coaching change is made, it's the top story on every news station in the area. I get the feeling that if Sean Taylor had played for the Caps or Wizards, there are probably alot of people who wouldn't remember his name now.

Imo, we Skins fans aren't just "fans," and the Redskins aren't just a "team." We live and die with each play, each minute, and each game. As someone who's a regular in the gameday thread chatroom for each game, if you had been in the chatroom for the Raiders game and didn't know the Skins record, you would have thought we were headed to the playoffs, not 3-9. If the Bullets/Wizards, Nats, or Caps aren't winning, you don't see or hear about them from fans at all. Not saying that the Caps, Zards, & Nats don't have diehards, but us Skins fans are unlike any other in this town. When either the Caps or Wizards have been eliminated from the playoffs, even a big fan like myself has had a "eh, oh well maybe next year" attitude. When the Skins lose a game, it's like the city shuts down for a week.

I remember growing up and my dad telling me stories of going to Skins games in the 50's & 60's when the team was terrible, and had an owner with an out-of-control ego who was cheap and a racist. My dad has lived in this area his entire life as well. It seemed to him like the Skins would never win in his lifetime, and he was a few months from his 40th birthday when he saw them win a title for the first time. I often feel lucky to realize that the Skins won 3 Super Bowls in the first 15 years of my life given my dad had to wait until almost 40 for the first title.

It's hard for me to believe that I was a sophomore in high school the last time the Skins won the Super Bowl. Earlier this year I had my 15th high school reunion, and the Skins haven't even so much as been back to the NFC championship game since.

I really feel sorry for the kids in this area born since the early 90's who haven't seen the Skins win anything in their lifetime or were too young to remember. It's scary when you think about the fact that a current high school junior hasn't seen the Skins make it to an NFC title game in his or her lifetime. And along with that stat, I'm afraid that many kids who have grown up in this area have been turned off by this team and have taken up rooting for other teams because we've been so mediocre.

I just hope that this team returns to winning ways by the time I have kids so they can grow up with the same feeling about this team that I had growing upin the 80's.

Just goes to show you how gross incompetence and mismanagement of a team over a long period of time can literally destroy an entire town. We can only hope that the next decades will be much better.

HTTR.

Archived