Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top OLinemen coming out this year

Capt Rich Fla

Wait a minute. They always say Olinemen are never picked in the first round. That has changed over the past 5 years. You look at all the guys we talked about last year and how well they stepped in and made an impact. I watched most all those rookie linemen this year and they all kicked arse. I want 5! And none of them past the 1st round! You hear me SNYDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I know dude, we have to hope based on Bruce's track record, some fat men are coming for the Oline lol Michael Oher looks good among others.

How good is Trent Williams or Iupati? I need to do some research, do we have our version of a resident Mel Kiper here? lol In terms of draft position, looks like they will be there when we pick, I doubt Suh or Okung will be.

Trent Williams is over-rated imo, or atleast was. Oklahoma's o-line was devested by graduation last year and a lot of their 2009 struggles were put on Williams shoulders, but probably unjustly. IMO, the biggest knock on him is gonna be he was a RT untill his senior year, which definately was a disappointment.

Iupati has been a player who's gotten better every year, and has size (6'6 330). Biggest knock on him will be competition, but he'll be the first guard taken and likely will be a 1rst round pick. Not the athlete that Braden Albert is (college G taken like 16th and moved to T by KC), but is a good enough athlete that when combined with his size may be moved to right tackle as a rookie or left tackle further down the road.

If all of the juniors I list with a * declare, this is the order for how I think the first 10 offensive linemen will be drafted:

1.) Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers* (declared)

2.) Russell Okung, OT, OSU

3.) Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland* (declared)

4.) Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa*

5.) Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin*

5.) Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma

6.) Charles Brown, OT, USC

7.) Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho

8.) John Asomoah, OG, Illinois

9.) Anthony Costanzo, OT, Boston College*

10.) Nate Solder, OT, Colorado*

Most of the mocks I've seen thus far has Okung #1 and Williams #2

Sam Young, Notre Dame. I love linemen from ND.

Not me. I'm a lifelong ND fan and Young was a major disappointment. He would get beat at the worst possible times and he had a big problem with false starts. Great kid and good athlete but just prone to too many breakdowns for my liking.

If all of the juniors I list with a * declare, this is the order for how I think the first 10 offensive linemen will be drafted:

1.) Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers* (declared)

2.) Russell Okung, OT, OSU

3.) Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland* (declared)

4.) Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa*

5.) Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin*

5.) Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma

6.) Charles Brown, OT, USC

7.) Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho

8.) John Asomoah, OG, Illinois

9.) Anthony Costanzo, OT, Boston College*

10.) Nate Solder, OT, Colorado*

Following them, if the Pouncey Brothers, Stephen Schilling, Stephen Wisniewski, Justin Boren, John Moffit, Jarriel King, and Rodney Hudson all declare early too, I think they'll each be in the mix to go in the second or late first. There are a ton of good junior OTs in this class and Anthony Davis is the best of the bunch. He's the guy we need to draft.

Steve, why did our other thread get closed? Was it too long and took up too much space? We need something like that again. That was the best thread on here in a long time. Shouldn't we start a comprehensive thread to discuss EVERY PROSPECT? Something like, "The 2010 Draft Thread."

Steve, why did our other thread get closed? Was it too long and took up too much space? We need something like that again. That was the best thread on here in a long time. Shouldn't we start a comprehensive thread to discuss EVERY PROSPECT? Something like, "The 2010 Draft Thread."

Big threads like that can get confusing, hard to keep a conversation about one thing when there's multiple positions being discussed.

:2cents:

Build from the trenches.

Cleveland built from the trenches. Look what happened to them. Green Bay has a terrible OL. They're already in the playoffs. I agree that we need to draft OL, but we need to use our 1st rounder on a QB, then use Free Agency and the rest of our picks this year and next to complete the OL rebuilding.

Big threads like that can get confusing, hard to keep a conversation about one thing when there's multiple positions being discussed.

:2cents:

I see what you are saying, but it also attracts people with different draft philosophies. For instance, I am pretty much the only person in this thread advocating drafting a QB in the 1st round. It only attracts OL-crazed fans, not that I don't want to draft OL at all. We definitely need to.

Cleveland built from the trenches. Look what happened to them. Green Bay has a terrible OL. They're already in the playoffs. I agree that we need to draft OL, but we need to use our 1st rounder on a QB, then use Free Agency and the rest of our picks this year and next to complete the OL rebuilding.

No. Green Bay got Chad Clifton back and then everything else started to fall back into place. Not only that, Cleveland ALSO HAS A QB THEY DRAFTED. Genius.

I don't like any of the QBs coming out of the draft this year, seems like you disagree considering your sig but there's some quality offensive linemen there and not alot of QBs.

Plus, Cleveland failed with the QB that they drafted...it happens. Green Bay has alot of things going for them outside the QB also with Ryan Grant and a great WR corps.

Our offensive line is failing and failing miserably, they may not be the worst but they need help.

im not sure how accurate walterfootball is but here is what they have for offensive tackles.

ciron black

charles brown

bruce campbell - i really like what i read about campbell but i wonder what kind of injuries he has had

russell okung - he looks like a solid tackle prospect but seems to lack focus and needs some work on his footwork. im sure if buges is here he can whip him into shape :D

trent williams - strictly a right tackle. not worth a top five or seven pick.

now to play devils advocate :evilg:

I think there's a big difference between Green Bay's terrible OL, and Washington's much, much worse than terrible OL. I mean, all the Giants did were run simple stunts and managed to get inside and outside pressure all game long.

Still, if you have a chance to get a franchise QB you have to take him. Now, I don't mean franchise QB like a lot of folks mean it. To most, a franchise QB is simply the top 2-3 QBs in the draft. To me, a franchise QB doesn't necessarily come around each year. I didn't think there was a franchise QB last year. I think Stafford and Sanchez had way too many questions. They still do.

That said, I do think Bradford is a franchise QB - shoulder questions be damned. If he's there you take him and load up on OL the rest of the draft.

Archived