Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Personal Jim Zorn Story: Christmas Related

kleese

Thought this was worth sharing....

For Christmas, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law surprised me...they gave me an autographed football and mini helmet from Jim Zorn. Long story, but my sister-in-law is a friend of a friend of the Zorn family-- something she recently discovered. Apparantly, she was nervous to ask the friend to do such a thing, but the friend assured her that Coach Zorn would most likely be more than happy.

My brother-in-law included a brief note with the items saying that I was a huge fan, etc.

In addition to the signed items, Coach Zorn also sent me a hand-written note. In the note he thanked me for my support and assured me that he was working as hard as he could to win for the fans. It was personal, honest, and something that went well beyond what he was asked to do.

My sister-in-law tells me that Zorn and his family are extremely kind and respected people and that he routinely takes time to do these things.

Apparantly, this all took place somewhere around mid-season and my sister-in-law has been worried all year that he'd get fired before they got a chance to give me the presents :) The fact that coach Zorn took time to do this during a crazy tumultuous time in his career means the world to me.

We all know that he is coaching his final two games, but I do wish the organization would have treated him with the same respect and kindness with which he treated me. I will always display these items (especially the note) proudly.

I met Zorn in February while he was watching his boy practicing for LaCrosse in Great Falls. He was so friendly and was more than willing to talk about the team and his thoughts. He was so excited about this season. He really thought we were on the verge of something. I feel bad for the guy. Hopefully he catches on somewhere.

This would be the opposite of class.

Indeed. It never ceases to amaze me,(and that's saying a lot),how personal some fans in sports can be towards players,coaches,ect.(and I know several of the reasons why). I'm not including some of those past in present where through their actions in their personal lives warranted that kind of opinion. It's the way some fans get down right ugly because players and/or coaches don't play or coach the way they seem fit. It can be down right ironic at times.

Outside of a few brief remarks here and there, I have been deliberately avoiding much in-depth response to various Zorn discusssions in the forum, though I have talked more extensively, more privately, with some. Here, I appreciated the positive response some folks have made to the OP, and how they notably outnumber (so far) the typical mesage-board mindless-flame idiot-type post jileib offered.

Archived