Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your 2010 Offensive Personnel and Roster Design

Stormy

Assuming that the Shanahan to DC rumors are accurate, and Mike brings his offensive scheme to Washington next season, what would you ideally (and realistically) like our offensive personnel to look like in 2010? And what moves would Bruce Allen need to transact, in order to make it happen? Here is what I would like to see...

Draft Trades: Attempt to trade out of our top 5-6 pick, possibly acquiring San Francisco's #11/12 and adding a 3rd rounder in the process. Also, attempt to move either Cooley or Davis for an early 2nd round pick. If you can't then keep them, as they could be a valuable tandem.

Draft Day: With our first round pick (#11) take C.J. Spiller. This replenishes our depleted, talentless RB unit, finally gives the offense a big play threat, an elite receiver out of the backfield, and fills an enormous hole at PR/KR. Then spend our next 3 picks (our 2nd rounder, plus the picks acquired for trading back and Cooley) on the best available OL. Hopefully you land 2 extremely talented OT candidates, and one of the draft's top available OG/OCs.

Free Agency/Offseason: Avoid the big splash acquisition, and focus on acquiring the best available young OG/OC/OT whichever you were going to be unable to address in the draft. If it's an uncapped year, try desperately to purge the burdensome players/contracts from the roster. Ideally, this means moving Portis, Randel El, Thomas, letting Samuels retire, and trading whichever of Cooley/Davis nets the better return.

LT - Acquired 2nd Round/Stephon Heyer

LG - Derrick Dockery

OC - F.A. Acquisition/Casey Rabach

RG - Acquired 3rd Round/Mike Williams

RT - Acquired 2nd Round (For Cooley)

TE - Fred Davis

QB - Jason Campbell

RB - C.J. Spiller

WR - Devin Thomas

WR - Santana Moss

WR - Malcolm Kelly

That is instantly a rejuvenated, infinitely more talened offensive roster at your disposal. Hopefully, the young OL displace the current stiffs and are able to impose their will in the running game, and protect Jason. Likewise, Spiller diversifies our offense into a HR threat running attack, with pass catching abilities out of the backfield. Then, if necessary, Shanny can address the QB situation and further OL depth during the 2011 draft. I think these moves give us a chance to instantly be competetive, while still enacting the rebuild we so badly need. What's your plan for Bruce and Mike?

I personally like yours...I've been a JC hater for a long time, but even through this debacle of a season, he's shown me he's not the PRIMARY problem & hasn't played too badly...I could take one more year of him, addressing the O-Line as you have on here and then potentially address the QB in 2011...my only question, and I'm asking because I don't know the answer - if we address it in 2011 through the draft and not free agency or trade, it seems like the QB depth is strong in this year's draft pool, what does the 2011 early report look like for QB depth?

Assuming that the Shanahan to DC rumors are accurate, and Mike brings his offensive scheme to Washington next season, what would you ideally (and realistically) like our offensive personnel to look like in 2010?

LT - Acquired 2nd Round/Stephon Heyer

LG - Derrick Dockery

OC - F.A. Acquisition/Casey Rabach

RG - Acquired 3rd Round/Mike Williams

RT - Acquired 2nd Round (For Cooley)

That is instantly a rejuvenated, infinitely more talened offensive roster at your disposal. Hopefully, the young OL displace the current stiffs and are able to impose their will in the running game, and protect Jason.........What's your plan for Bruce and Mike?

I think we should not under trade Cooley we cannot get equal value for him in a trade unless we can get a 1st round pick for him, and i don't think we can.

Cooley is our best receiving option and with the emergence of Fred Davis it would give us an NFL rarity 2 starting caliber TEs.

Everyone automatically thinks that 2 TEs are a waste but with a good gameplan it could be the basis of our offense.

I recall a Holmgren lead WCO that featured 2 TEs sets and rode them to the superbowl.

Imo any scenario that might have Heyer as a starter is a failure.

We should target a OT in the draft and via FA preferable someone young.

I would keep Rabach although i think he needs to be replaced that's an issue for next year.

Rabach is serviceable and he's gonna be important factor in molding an OL that's gonna have at least 2 new memebers.

OL imo is where this offseason starts and ends.

My OL would look like this:

LT-Top Tier young FA/ 1st round draft pick

LG- Dockery

C-Rabach

RG-Rhinehart/Williams

RT-1st round draft pick/Top Tier FA or 2nd round draft pick

Also in the draft: Swing Lineman G/C

Likewise, Spiller diversifies our offense into a HR threat running attack, with pass catching abilities out of the backfield. Then, if necessary, Shanny can address the QB situation and further OL depth during the 2011 draft. I think these moves give us a chance to instantly be competetive, while still enacting the rebuild we so badly need.

I personally like yours...I've been a JC hater for a long time, but even through this debacle of a season, he's shown me he's not the PRIMARY problem & hasn't played too badly...I could take one more year of him, addressing the O-Line as you have on here and then potentially address the QB in 2011...my only question, and I'm asking because I don't know the answer - if we address it in 2011 through the draft and not free agency or trade, it seems like the QB depth is strong in this year's draft pool, what does the 2011 early report look like for QB depth?

JC is alright QB but why does he always failed in prime time games? I don't remember the last time he did any good in prime time game. Prove me wrong this sunday night JC!!!!!!!!!

JC is alright QB but why does he always failed in prime time games? I don't remember the last time he did any good in prime time game. Prove me wrong this sunday night JC!!!!!!!!!

-Since he has been a Redskin, our entire offense seems to choke the majority of the time when the pressure is on. Whether its a prime-time game and everyone is watching, or a 2 minute drill in the fourth, they simply haven't been getting it done. I don't know if this is Campbell's fault, or other personnel on the offense, or the coaching, but for some reason or another, our offense seems to be rather lackluster when the pressure is on.

If we could get 4 "infinitely more talented" starters in 1 draft, we wouldn't have any problems in the first place.

If we are planning to fix our offense solely through the draft, we can't expect dramatic results "instantly" particularly not with offensive linemen. Not that we shouldn't draft like that. It will just take more time see the fruits.

I think we have to accept the idea that the offense might not be able to be fixed in 1 year - maybe temporarily fixed, but not long-term fixed.

i like darrell greenies idea, drafting one starting oline guy and one free agent. I think we will have a great starting lineup. Along with that, i think we will have good depth with the players who are playing this year, add in couple of free agents/undrafted free agents and we are good to go. Now, with teh 1st pick, i am down with getting CJ Spiller, he is a game changer. I would love to have him here! he reminds me of Chris Johnson, in that mold atleast. Because he can catch, block, and run. Not sure about his inside runs but from what i have seen, he got what it takes.....

Do not spend a 1st rounder on a RB. QB/OL are the only two possibilities for our first round pick.

Spiller would be a luxury to have and we cannot afford to again go after a big name while the two most important parts of our team (QB and OL) are so depleted of talent.

JC is alright QB but why does he always failed in prime time games? I don't remember the last time he did any good in prime time game. Prove me wrong this Sunday night JC!!!!!!!!!

I think the better question is why do the REDSKINS lay down for the NY Giants? And why cant the team show up for a prime time game?

I'd hope the Rams or Browns pass on Sam Bradford, and we drop lucky to snag him with our doubtless top 5 pick. Then take a starting caliber tackle in the high 2nd, and work on down from there, hopefully with Allen having acquired a multitude of picks/and, or, players from trades to help re-stock.

Add to that free agency, and all things considered, we should be able to accomplish quite a lot of changes through year one of the re-build. There's going to be the natural ups and downs along the way, and we may well be at least two years from the playoff's even. But if we were to get the aforementioned Bradford, who, and this is just personal opinion, I think is worth starting from day one to let him develop on the job so to speak like say Peyton did, (and I personally think this kid has the swagger about him that screams future competent pro-QB that Manning did coming out of TN), allied to other young talent around him; it sure will be fun to watch these guys develop through the loses to a real sound, competitive roster for many of the coming years ahead.

The key to all of this will be patience from the fans. We've finally gotten what we want from the owner, but Rome wasn't built in a day folks.

Hail.

trading Cooley = stupidity

I wouldn't call it stupid, but I get ur point. I really like fred. I also like cooley. I think having 2 TEs in shanahans offense could be very effective. Look at Denvers offense in 08. Tony Sheffter and Daniel graham combined for over 1,000 yards together. I think Cooley and Fred are better than both of them. At the same time we need so much oline help, RB, and possibily QB. We probably cant aford that luxury. I wouldn't trade cooley for anything less than a low second or 1st rounder tho.

He's by FAR my favourite current 'Skin, but if your view point is a complete overhaul, then he's got the highest trade value of any current player in terms of picks.

Throw in the way Davis has come on, and whilst I'd hate to lose him, I could see the reasoning behind it if it happened.

Hail.

The problem I have with trading Cooley is that TE's don't really demand that much value in trades. Assuming we could trade him for about the same as the Giants traded Shockey, we could get a 2nd and a 5th.

The question is, do you trade your most valuable weapon on offense for the POTENTIAL of a 2nd round pick working out? We don't even know who is going to be available with this 2nd round pick, and we aren't going to fix the offense in one draft.

So why risk the potential of drafting someone, who may or may not be there when you pick, and if you do draft them may or may not work out, when you could have the sure thing?

If we decide to draft a QB, I believe it would be far more beneficial to him to have 2 security blanket TEs than a POTENTIAL lineman in the draft. Not only are they reliable in the passing game, but two TE sets allow for running out of the same formation as well. It gives the QB comfort knowing that the defense can't key on the play based on the formation because they can call both run and pass plays successfully with the same formation.

I'd much rather have the guarantee of a unique weapon (Cooley and Davis) on offense that virtually no-one else in the NFL has, than the potential of a possible O-line pick.

Although, this is all assuming we are looking to draft a QB high in the draft. If Allen decides that is not the direction that he wants to go this year, then I could see maybe trading Cooley. But with a new GM, new HC, and new OC, chances are they are going to want their own QB. :2cents:

trading Cooley = stupidity

Agreed. Let's just say for a second that they DO trade Cooley and then Davis goes down for the year in TC. I don't care if Cooley may bring value, the guy is a top 5 TE and will needed if this team is going to win games especially in the division. He means as much to this team as Witten does for Dall@ss, Boss for the Giants, and Celek for the Eagles.

QB - J. Campbell , C. Brennan

WR - Moss Thomas Kelly Mitchell WR5

RB Jahvid Best(Assuming we trade down for extra 2nd), Clinton Portis, Anthony Alridge

FB Toby Gerhart (I see him in a Milke Alstott kinda role)

TE Cooley, Davis

LT - Marcus McNeil

LG - D Dockery

C - Edwin Williams

RG - Rinehart/Incognito

RT - Draft Pick

DE Carter

DL Haynesworth

DL Gholston

DE Orakpo

LB McIntosh

LB Fletcher

LB Merriman

CB D Hall

CB Tryon/Barnes/ Draft Pick

SS Landry

FS Otogwe

QB - J. Campbell , C. Brennan

WR - Moss Thomas Kelly Mitchell WR5

RB Jahvid Best(Assuming we trade down for extra 2nd), Clinton Portis, Anthony Alridge

FB Toby Gerhart (I see him in a Milke Alstott kinda role)

TE Cooley, Davis

LT - Marcus McNeil

LG - D Dockery

C - Edwin Williams

RG - Rinehart/Incognito

RT - Draft Pick

DE Carter

DL Haynesworth

DL Gholston

DE Orakpo

LB McIntosh

LB Fletcher

LB Merriman

CB D Hall

CB Tryon/Barnes/ Draft Pick

SS Landry

FS Otogwe

There is nothing about this that makes any sense. Two 2nd round RBs, a franchise LT that won't go to FA, a former undrafted rookie that hasn't shown anything playing out of position, a complete basket case who is under contract for another team competing with someone who hasn't proven anything, a 3 DE (one of which was a top 5 pick for another team 2 years ago)/1 DT Dline, the most expensive OLB on the market (who might not even make it to FA), complete **** starting across from Hall, and the most expensive safety on the market who almost definitely won't make it to FA.

Chillins, don't smoke crack.

If we could get 4 "infinitely more talented" starters in 1 draft, we wouldn't have any problems in the first place.

If we are planning to fix our offense solely through the draft, we can't expect dramatic results "instantly" particularly not with offensive linemen. Not that we shouldn't draft like that. It will just take more time see the fruits.

I think we have to accept the idea that the offense might not be able to be fixed in 1 year - maybe temporarily fixed, but not long-term fixed.

I certainly agree that there are no instant fixes for the Redskins personnel situation. However, I do think that an infusion of 3 talented (2nd/3rd round caliber) young OL on this depleted line can go a long way towards overhauling the currently defunct OL situation. Likewise, they can be building much needed chemistry for the future, which is an important intangible in solid OL play. It's not going to be hard for high draft pick OL, selected by good talent evaluators, to displace (and outperform) the likes of a Heyer/Jones/Rabach etc...

Meanwhile, an acquisition of Spiller really takes pressure off JC, the young OL, and the young receivers. That is a nice youthful core to build around: an improvement for the present, and a major step in the right direction for the future. IMO

What this all comes down to is how Shanny wants to mold the offense to fit what his scheme is. Perhaps Cooley & Davis would fit perfectly into his plans, and perhaps neither would fit at all. Same thing with JC & the WR's. For all we know, Ganther could be in the mold of a RB Shanny thinks can be successful in his system (remember names like Olandis Gary & Ruben Droughns). We simply don't know until Shanny gets here and assesses everything.

We can root for certain players to be drafted, but Shanny needs to do what's best for the scheme he's putting in. We all know that priority #1 is upgrading the OL, and he drafted Ryan Clady in 08 so he knows something about finding franchise LT's.

Archived