What kind of biscuit is he?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of biscuit is he?

• **** biscuit
    • King Biscuit
    • Whisker biscuit
    • Comforting-veteran-depth-at-3rd-string-QB biscuit

damn...I meant Spurrier.

Q: By bringing Danny Wuerffel in, will you be at all tempted to replace Patrick Ramsey this season if things don't go the way you hope?

A: No, Patrick Ramsey is by far our best quarterback. I've said that many, many times. Danny [Wuerffel] gives us some insurance if something happens to Patrick, either he or Rob Johnson will go in the game and play well. It's strictly an insurance position. Patrick wasn't ready to play last year. I hope you all know that. I think Patrick will tell you that. But I think after a year and learning everything, he really impresses all of us out here in practice. We don't have any problems. It's something you guys might want to create. But there's no problem on our team about who the quarterback is.

Here is the full quote sheet

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/2003/trainingcamp/quotes4.htm

Quote Sheet From Monday's Redskins Practice

Steve Spurrier | Danny Wuerffel

Compiled by Gene Wang

washingtonpost.com Correspondent

Web Posted: Monday, Aug. 4, 2003; 1:02 p.m. EDT

Coach Steve Spurrier

Q: What is the status of Ladell Betts?

A: Still got a bad elbow. He sprained it pretty severely a week ago. It's unfortunate. He needs to be out here practicing.

Q: Do you have a timetable on when he will be back?

A: He probably will not play in the game [saturday]. Hopefully, the second game he will be ready.

Q: Do you think you will have Kenny Watson for the first game?

A: I don't know if he'll be available or not. We're getting Sultan [McCullough] and Robert Gillespie ready to go along with Trung [Canidate] right now. And Chad [Morton] will play a little here and there also.

Q: How was the intensity today?

A: It was pretty good. We need more of it. We haven't done as much running the ball and run defense as probably most teams. We've been concentrating on throwing it and pass protection and rushing the passer and all those kind of things. So we'll do a little bit more of that this week, and hopefully keep everybody healthy while we're doing it.

Q: By bringing Danny Wuerffel in, will you be at all tempted to replace Patrick Ramsey this season if things don't go the way you hope?

A: No, Patrick Ramsey is by far our best quarterback. I've said that many, many times. Danny [Wuerffel] gives us some insurance if something happens to Patrick, either he or Rob Johnson will go in the game and play well. It's strictly an insurance position. Patrick wasn't ready to play last year. I hope you all know that. I think Patrick will tell you that. But I think after a year and learning everything, he really impresses all of us out here in practice. We don't have any problems. It's something you guys might want to create. But there's no problem on our team about who the quarterback is.

Q: Why not bring Danny back in the spring as opposed to now?

A: We sort of cleared out all the old Gators, to tell you the truth, and then we started adding back guys who we thought could help our team. That's what we did. I told Danny, I said, "I'm sorry things had to work this way, but I really think it's best for all concerned because now we're adding players who can really help us." Taylor Jacobs can help us. It doesn't matter where he went to school. And that's the way it should be. When you're an NFL coach, it doesn't matter where they went to college. We're trying to assemble the best group of players we possibly can. We think adding Danny to the team certainly strengthens us with two rookie quarterbacks. We're better off with a guy who can play in an emergency situations.

Q: Did you make that decision after watching the rookies, or was it more a case of trying to get rid of the old Florida players?

A: It was a case of sort of clearing the air about bringing former players in, which I think all coaches really have to be careful about that, and looking back, we probably brought too many. No question about it. So we sort of cleared the air and started fresh. Now we're adding players that we think help our team.

Q: Was there something with Rob Johnson's performance where you felt the need to bring Danny in?

A: Oh, not so much that as we're just sitting around here saying we could have Danny Wuerffel as the third guy competing with Rob. Or else we've got two rookies who are certainly nowhere near ready to play -- Gibran [Hamdan] and Brad Banks. So it just made sense to get a player in here that knows our system, that you know at times he played pretty well. I think he threw three touchdowns against the Cowboys last year. I don't know if they gave up three TDs to any other quarterback during the course of the year except Danny Wuerffel. He played pretty decently against the Rams when we beat them. So he's capable, but Patrick Ramsey is by far the best quarterback on this team, and I think everybody here knows it.

Q: Are you starting to get concerned about Ladell Betts not being out there?

A: Well a little bit, but there's nothing you can do about it. He runs in no-contact drills, but he should be ready in a week or so. Hopefully, that elbow will be ready to go.

Danny Wuerffel

Q: Were you a little surprised the Redskins brought you back?

A: You never know what's going to happen. You've just got to be ready for anything. One thing I've had in my mind my whole career, even starting back in college, was never expect anything but try to be prepared for everything.

Q: What was on the horizon for you other than the Redskins?

A: Well, I had a trip planned to go to Seattle to work out there, and they were looking to add a backup quarterback to help their situation with Trent [Dilfer] being injured and coming back from the tough offseason. So that was the only other thing we had.

Q: Do you feel like that trip made the Redskins make the decision to sign you quicker rather than string it along?

A: That's hard to say. I can't answer that for them.

Q: Does the surprise of bringing you back tie in with Coach Spurrier's nature in that you never know what to expect from him regarding quarterbacks?

A: Well, I just meant that in general. This is an interesting business. You guys all know that, and you never know what's going to happen. There's lots of different people making decisions. You just have to be ready.

Q: Were you disappointed over your role last year?

A: Last year was a tough year I think for everybody. I know it was frustrating for the fans, for the owner and management, the coaches, the players. I know it was frustrating. We all wanted it to go one way, and it didn't. And my biggest disappointment was I didn't get chance to come back and be a part of making that better. And so I'm just really excited that this opportunity is here to come in and to compete for a backup spot and to help these guys out. I know one of my biggest roles is to help Patrick be as good as he can be, and the sky's the limit for him. He's just a phenomenal player coming along, and I'll do my best to help him get ready and be ready if I'm ever needed.

Q: What are your impressions of Patrick so far?

A: I've just seen him in one practice, and he looked great. Obviously, he's always had the velocity, but he just has a great awareness. He's seeing the field real well, seeing more than just one thing that's happening. He's getting along great with the guys. He's a great authority in the huddle, and I'm excited to see him come along.

Q: Do you get the impression that this team is not going to switch quarterbacks like it did last season?

A: I think there's no question Patrick's the guy. He's earned that spot. He played through tough times last year and came out doing well. He's got the talent to do anything he can. He's earned the spot, and I think everybody in this building knows that, and I think everyone's committed to supporting him to lead us.

Q: How do you hold back your competitiveness knowing you won't be the starter?

A: The reality is you're competing always to be a part of a team, but you're also competing to make your team better. I've always tried to find whatever role I can have to make the team better, and whether that's coming in off an injury or starting or whatever, you always want to be ready. But right now I know my role is to help Patrick get ready and then to get myself ready to be in the mix somewhere if need be.

Q: Can that wear on you mentally?

A: I'm the kind of person deep down I'm as competitive as anyone I know. At the same time I also have a sense of reality and appreciate that God's put before us, and whatever role I get I'll be happy to do the best I can.

Q: How did you feel out there your first day back?

A: A little rusty. I threw some good balls early and some not so good ones later. But you've just got to get your feet wet and get back in it. I'm must glad to be out there.

Q: Did you have a feeling that you possibly could be coming back?

A: I knew it was a possibility, but you just never know. There's a lot of things can happen or not happen in this business. So you don't know what to expect. It was a long offseason not knowing what was going to happen. My wife is pregnant. She's 22 weeks now and wondering where she's going to deliver our baby and who's going to be doctor and those sort of things. You kind of wonder what's going to happen. But at the same time, you've got to ready for anything.

© Copyright 2003 washingtonpost.com

I think the purpose of those interviews was to make us horny for Ramsey... in a completely non-sexual way of course. :D

Affirmation is always nice.

Damn.... I'm going to be in NYC for the first pre-season game... I'll see the rest, but I'm going to be all over extremeskins next weekend getting updates from you guys.

See that is why I like The Wuerffel House...He knows he's a backup. Just like Kent Graham. He doesn't want to start...alot more productive than someone like Robby Sacks Alot...who doesn't try to help the others just because it hurts his chances for starting.

Thats why moron's who say things like " I hope he breaks his leg during the 1st preseason game" need to strap on a effing helment and try to do what DW has done his whole life, which is be courageous.

He also, by the way, could probably break most peoples fingers trying to catch his "ducks" He is just weak armed compared to the .005% of humans in the world that are NFL QB's. I think some guys see DW or Ty Detmer on TV and think, " I can throw harder than that bum" which is a friggin joke. These guys can hum it, and if anybody on here ever had to stand in front of one of DW's passes ,or any so-called "weak armed" Qb that had made it to the NFL, they would say he was weak armed only once. :2cents:

I think DW is a class act and seems like a genuine nice guy. Now granted I don't want him to be running our offense for an extended period of time. But you will not find a more knowledgable backup QB of a system then DW.....(and one who did prove in sprits that he can move the ball). Plus one thing his critcs cant take from him is the fact that he is still getting paid an NFL paycheck.

they would say he was weak armed only once

Well, that's just great. Let's figure out how to suit up football fans to go in and play against Danny Wuerffel and he can put up Osaka type of numbers in every game. He doesn't lack the type of arm to play in the NFL, he lacks the true grit that it takes. He discombobulated so badly last season that Spurrier acted like he didn't even know him after several games. Who gives a crap about his arm strength if he can't operate the offense with confidence.

He doesn't lack the type of arm to play in the NFL, he lacks the true grit that it takes.

Wow, that is an exactly, 100% opposite view of everyone who has ever watched DW play in any game, in any year, at any junture of his playing career. Do you know why he got hurt so many times last season? Its because he stood in the pocket and took hit after hit, trying to hold the ball long enough for Chris Doering's of the world to get out of a pattern. Thats why there are pics of him with his helmet turned around sideways on his head. His lack of NFL armstrength causes him to have to throw the ball before the break, which is fine on routes 10 yards and under, but as the routes go up above that, he has to just stand there and wait for them to get there and time the throw perfectly, which leads to him holding on to the ball at times. But no grit, I dont think thats right.

Rob Johnson proved nothing in Tampa last year. He looked dreadful when Brad Johnson missed time.

Signing Wuerffel was at no cost to the Skins. Banks evidently had such poor arm strength he just flat out could't make the throws.

So, where is the argument? :)

You have a rookie who couldn't play at all and a 30 year old veteran who doesn't know the system and who gets injured a lot.

Having Wuerffel as the #3 quarterback to me is a good idea at this point.

Wuerffel does not have great talent, we all know that. But the skill players he was surrounded by last year and the status of the line made him look worse than he would with the current group.

I think DW could be effective in spots running THIS offense with Coles, Gardner back and the new linemen.

I think this is the best part about him being back

"I know one of my biggest roles is to help Patrick be as good as he can be, and the sky's the limit for him. He's just a phenomenal player coming along, and I'll do my best to help him get ready and be ready if I'm ever needed."

I don't think anyone objects to any help he can give to Patrick Ramsey, not to mention maybe even Rob Johnson too.

Johnson to me is a guy who has had a reputation as a little bit of a flake. I don't see the same kind of intelligence or value add from him as a BACKUP helping Ramsey as I do from Wuerffel.

And the gamble on the part of the organization is that RAMSEY is the quarterback of the future and the present, right? :)

So, any move to bolster Ramsey's chances for this season is a move the team should take...................

If Ramsey were 29 or 30 and had more limited skills one could make the argument that he and Johnson should compete in camp and that adding Wuerffel didn't really help the team.

Originally posted by Reaganaut

Well, that's just great. Let's figure out how to suit up football fans to go in and play against Danny Wuerffel and he can put up Osaka type of numbers in every game. He doesn't lack the type of arm to play in the NFL, he lacks the true grit that it takes. He discombobulated so badly last season that Spurrier acted like he didn't even know him after several games. Who gives a crap about his arm strength if he can't operate the offense with confidence.

I beg to differ. You are the first that I am aware of to question his "grit."

From what I have seen, that is something he possesses in abundance in addition to knowledge and smarts. You won't hear me tell you how great his arm is however.

Can he play in the NFL? I think so. He struggled when he came in, the team was behind and he tried to force passes. He played OKl when he started before he got injured.

Could a young Dan Marino have played behind last year's line? Certainly not consistently. It doesn't matter how good your arm is if you don't have time to throw the ball.

An extra QB coach for Ramsey and an emergency QB who knows the system. Sounds okay to me. In fact, if we had signed him instead of Johnson during the offseason, there probably wouldn't have been much commentary...far less than the signing of Johnson generated.

DW has very good fundamentals. his crossover steps dropping in the pocket are excellent . the carriage position inwhich he carries the ball while dropping back is excellent. he sets up faster in the pocket than most quarterbacks in the n.f.l. He makes quick throws, most while the recievers are making their breaks. more than I can say for Rob Johnson. I guess I am not the only one to notice.

Archived