Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Times: Study: Mississippi is 'most religious' state (compares states)

Jumbo

Special someone is special. Good for you. But seriously, facts are facts and 1+1=7

So you're seriously going to stand beside the uneducated=church goer argument? Yeah, I'm thinking the Habakkuk passage was about right but maybe not quite on target, how about...

1 Corinthians 1:27 But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong.

So you're seriously going to stand beside the uneducated=church goer argument? Yeah, I'm thinking the Habakkuk passage was about right but maybe not quite on target, how about...

1 Corinthians 1:27 But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong.

That happens to be one of my favorite readings...

The Homily that followed was also pretty good

I've been enjoying just hanging back and reading the discussion, but I'll to add that as someone who knows the matter professionally (and that‘s an understatement), there's some notable displays of ignorance posted regarding the merits/usefulness of competent state-of-the-art IQ testing or various related developmental profiling/assessment tools.

And there is a very impressive list of heavyweight private/federal institutions who use them quite seriously (for good reasons) in areas where things counts for far, far more than in the realm of message board opining. And I'm not biased by how well they pay, just grateful. :D

Of course, such tests/assessments are not singularly transcendent in accurately portraying a person's global competencies and are not used in isolation from other data in forming a useful picture. But dismissing them in the sweeping manner I am seeing some do is fairly ignorant. And in at least one post, done quite stupidly. But aside from offering that notice, I'm going to leave it there for several intelligent reasons (one is to avoid any derailing). I now withdraw. :D:)

Britney Spears is from Mississippi and thinks she's religious.

That in itself should cast a shadow over the results of this study.

:hysterical: oops, they did it again. :silly:

Absolutely, the study and it's results, while fitting many stereotypes and any number of people's anecdotal experiences, was done as a simple survey and is hardly some significant meta-analysis. I wouldn't take it as anything like definitively conclusive. At best it might reasonably reflect some sweeping general attributes on the matter of religious belief that applies each region.

This is the site for the organization credited as the orginator of the study in the WT article:

http://pewforum.org/

I thought it would be those stereotypes and anecdotes that folks' here have, and pre-existing views on regional characteristics, that would be interesting to read about in response to such claims, and I have enjoyed reading the discussion.

Some regions would, logically enough, seem to have various social characteristics more notable in presence than in other regions--even in a highly mobile and diverse society. Qualifying them and quantifying them with any high degree of accuracy is a challenge.

It's been a good discussion and remarkably free of ugly and whacko, which is always pleasant, and is not as typcial as I might wish in the tailgate. :silly:

Archived