Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Contractors in your home

Forehead

My wife and I are getting a bathroom redone, preparing for the new arrival in our life.

This is my first experience having given a set of keys to a contractor, them being in my house all day without supervision, etc. I know the companies are licenses, bonded, insured, etc. but am I wrong for worrying that I'm going to go home tonight and find the place cleaned out?

I'm assuming some of you have done this before. Did you feel the same sort of anxiety, and did anything happen to your place while you were gone?

but am I wrong for worrying that I'm going to go home tonight and find the place cleaned out ?

They're not going to clean the place out. I'd be more worried about them taking something subtle and not-so-obvious, like somthing you wouldn't discover was missing until much later, and then think that you lost it yourself, rather than remember and suspect them.

To answer most questions...yes, it's a reputable company, I've just never gone through this before. It's a 5 day project, and I'm going to be home for 2-1/2 of those days. Like I said, having someone in my house without me around is new to me.

I don't have a cleaning service.

Oh, and I can't work from home. The nature of my work is such that it is not an option.

To answer most questions...yes, it's a reputable company, I've just never gone through this before. It's a 5 day project, and I'm going to be home for 2-1/2 of those days. Like I said, having someone in my house without me around is new to me.

I don't have a cleaning service.

Oh, and I can't work from home. The nature of my work is such that it is not an option.

Dude, your in good shape. My cousin does contracting work, and I worked with him a couple of days, when it was slow at my other job. To give you the honest truth, they might take an interest to things that are in sight, but they would never take or steal anything. I remember doing a job, and checking out there pictures of there hot daughter, and also checking out there home theater system and such, but I never touched anything. When a contractor has been in many houses, and seen a lot of stuff, they really tend to get tunnel vision on finishing the job that is on hand.

Though, if you really want to be safe, anything you don't want them seeing, or that anyone my be tempted to snatch, I would hide it. You don't need to lock it up, just put it out of plain view. If they can't see it with out snooping around, your safe. It's like the old adage, they have to see it, before even being tempted to steal it.

Archived