Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I need a new game (suggestions wanted)

Forehead

Alright folks, I need a new game or two to keep things fresh, and me occupied during the impending non-playoff season. I'm by no means a hardcore gamer, so I'm looking to those of you who are to give me suggestions; I trust opinions here more than magazines.

I have a PC and a Wii. Here are the sorts of games I like:

1. RPG type games such as Neverwinter Nights. I'm a big fan of the whole hero, leveling up, kicking ass sort of thing. Please note that I do NOT want to play one of those massive online game things. I like games that have a definitive end to them. For instance, I like Warcraft 3 because you can beat the game and it's over. I do not like the idea of World of Warcraft because I feel like the line between "game" and "living an alternate life online" is blurred. So whatever you suggest, no massive online games with no end. The game can be incredibly long, but has to have an end somewhere.

2. I like turn-based conquering games like Rome: Total War. Or for those of you who are old school, Gemfire. Note the same rules apply here, I don't want to play people online, or build up "online reputation" or whatever the hell it's called. I want the actual packaged game to be worth the purchase price on it's own merits, not the merits of potential extras.

3. What I wrote in #2 applies for RTS. I enjoyed the Age of Empires series. Same thing though, I'd like the game itself to be worth the price, because I'm never going to play online.

4. I like sports games, but I've never played the Madden Series because beyond the Wii, the newest game system I own is an SNES. The new systems have too many damn buttons. While you all have been playing your X-Box 360's, I've been continuing with Tecmo Super Bowl for the past 15 years. I can say with some certainty that I could kill almost anyone in Tecmo Super Bowl at this point. Anyway, I don't mind sports games, but they can't require too many buttons, that **** confounds me.

5. I'll play the occasional 1st person shooter, but I'm not big on them. You ever play those games with friends, and have the one friend who just grabs a sniper rifle and sits in a corner picking people off and never moving? I'm that jerk. I tried getting into a few of them, like Half Life 2, but I just never took to them.

Go get Super Mario Bros Wii. Has the old school Mario feel just with newer graphics. Plus, you can play with 4 people at the same time. Which is really fun and competitive. If you ever liked playing Mario as a kid, you'll love this one.

Is that the one where you have a protective bubble after you die? If so, I played that at a friends house a month ago. I got my ass handed to me.

I can't help you out with too much in the RPG field, but if you're willing to go old school, try out Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Its for the SNES, so you can play it that way. Its also available on the Virtual Console for the Wii. Or if you're a bit more adventurous, I can help you set up an SNES emulator on your PC or Wii.

As for Wii games, I think it would help knowing your current game library.

Is that the one where you have a protective bubble after you die? If so, I played that at a friends house a month ago. I got my ass handed to me.

Yeah you come back in a bubble when you die or if you're about to die you can use the bubble to stay alive.

You just need some more practice lol. It's pretty addicting.

What about Wii Spors Resort? It has Bowling, 3 point shooting, Frisbee, Cycling, Archery, and a bunch more. It's pretty cool.

2. I like turn-based conquering games like Rome: Total War. Or for those of you who are old school, Gemfire. Note the same rules apply here, I don't want to play people online, or build up "online reputation" or whatever the hell it's called. I want the actual packaged game to be worth the purchase price on it's own merits, not the merits of potential extras.

You would probably love Civilization IV. I downloaded it when I was stuck at home a couple weeks ago and I loved it. I'm not a real big video game guy but I think I played it for about 8 hours straight, I couldn't walk away. I haven't played Rome or Gemfire but they sound like the same type of game as Civ IV.

If you can find it...I loved this old game on the PC, "Warlords", really good strategy game that was turn based. I wish they would remake it with some better graphics, but using the same concept.

Anyone ever play this game?

CIV IV had an expansion pack called warlords. The newest one is beyond the sword.

I got it for my flight to China. The flight went really quick.

I can't help you out with too much in the RPG field, but if you're willing to go old school, try out Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Its for the SNES, so you can play it that way. Its also available on the Virtual Console for the Wii. Or if you're a bit more adventurous, I can help you set up an SNES emulator on your PC or Wii.

As for Wii games, I think it would help knowing your current game library.

I had an SNES emulator on my PC a long time ago, but I didn't have a controller, I just had to use my keyboard. I might be interested in the WII emulator though.

As for Wii games, not many. We have that "Wii play" abomination that comes with a controller. We have Wii Sports, the one with bowling and boxing. We have the Mario Kart Wii game for my wife and I to play against each other, which is pretty fun, but not really the type of game I want. The only two Wii games that are actually mine are Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Beatles: Rock Band. I've barely played the Zelda one because it took me hours to learn how to catch a fish, and then as I got a little further, I appear to have lost my horse, so I can't get past some barriers. At that point, Zelda started collecting dust, a shame really because I bet I'd love it if I could get further.

You just need some more practice lol. It's pretty addicting.

What about Wii Spors Resort? It has Bowling, 3 point shooting, Frisbee, Cycling, Archery, and a bunch more. It's pretty cool.

Probably, on the practice. Plus, my wife loves Mario games, but I'm looking for something for myself here. We have played Sports Resort at someone's house, I'd probably buy that.

What about Civilization IV with the expansion packs? great turn based game.
You would probably love Civilization IV. I downloaded it when I was stuck at home a couple weeks ago and I loved it. I'm not a real big video game guy but I think I played it for about 8 hours straight, I couldn't walk away. I haven't played Rome or Gemfire but they sound like the same type of game as Civ IV.

What does it entail? Is there some sort of violence involved? I only ask because I don't want a game like SimCity, or any of the Sims really, where you're just building a city or living the life of a person, with no real competition or computer to destroy. Those types of games suck. I had a roommate who was really into The Sims and I made fun of him on a daily basis.

*Note, a quick Wikipedia check makes this sound promising, with one drawback. I'm really into game that are based more on themes of the past. This is why I like games like Rome: Total War, Neverwinter Nights, etc. And why I didn't like Rise of Nations. Once you start getting into machine guns, nukes, etc, the game loses it's appeal for some reason.

What about Civilization IV with the expansion packs? great turn based game.

I will second this recommendation.

I've also always found the "Heroes of Might and Magic" game series to be fun. They are coming out with a HOMM 6, but I've only played up to HOMM 4. Still, 5 looks pretty good for being released in 2006.

Patrick, it sounds like you and I have some similar taste in games, so I believe you would love the two suggested in this post.

I just saw they released, in 2008, a HOMM Complete Edition which includes all 5 HOMM games and their expansions, but I can't find it online anywhere.

What does it entail? Is there some sort of violence involved? I only ask because I don't want a game like SimCity, or any of the Sims really, where you're just building a city or living the life of a person, with no real competition or computer to destroy. Those types of games suck. I had a roommate who was really into The Sims and I made fun of him on a daily basis.

*Note, a quick Wikipedia check makes this sound promising, with one drawback. I'm really into game that are based more on themes of the past. This is why I like games like Rome: Total War, Neverwinter Nights, etc. And why I didn't like Rise of Nations. Once you start getting into machine guns, nukes, etc, the game loses it's appeal for some reason.

Yeah, the game starts at the dawn of man, but then your civilization advances as you research new technologies and build additions to your cities, etc. Basically you start with clubs and end with stealth bombers, assuming you don't conquer the world before they're invented.

You build your civilization from BC ages all the way up to modern day and beyond. You need to balance researching technology for your civilization growing cities and fighting if necessary.

There are a lot of historical buildings and things you can add to your civilization to help grow it. Each civilization group has different attributes and special buildings they can build.

And the turn base makes it really fun and so you can take your time playing.

Probably, on the practice. Plus, my wife loves Mario games, but I'm looking for something for myself here. We have played Sports Resort at someone's house, I'd probably buy that.

Hey if you can get her to play it with you, that means she won't get as angry when you want to play video games!

I had an SNES emulator on my PC a long time ago, but I didn't have a controller, I just had to use my keyboard. I might be interested in the WII emulator though.

As for Wii games, not many. We have that "Wii play" abomination that comes with a controller. We have Wii Sports, the one with bowling and boxing. We have the Mario Kart Wii game for my wife and I to play against each other, which is pretty fun, but not really the type of game I want. The only two Wii games that are actually mine are Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Beatles: Rock Band. I've barely played the Zelda one because it took me hours to learn how to catch a fish, and then as I got a little further, I appear to have lost my horse, so I can't get past some barriers. At that point, Zelda started collecting dust, a shame really because I bet I'd love it if I could get further.

First off, I'd say try Zelda again. It'll probably help if you start fresh. Your horse will come back in due time, but until then, go around and see what else you can do. I got over 40 hours of play time in my first play-through of Twilight Princess.

Now, as for getting emulators and what-not set up on the Wii, you'll have to install something called the Homebrew Channel. Important question. What System Menu version are you at? Depending on what you've updated to will change the type of hack you want to use to install homebrew.

First off, I'd say try Zelda again. It'll probably help if you start fresh. Your horse will come back in due time, but until then, go around and see what else you can do. I got over 40 hours of play time in my first play-through of Twilight Princess.

Now, as for getting emulators and what-not set up on the Wii, you'll have to install something called the Homebrew Channel. Important question. What System Menu version are you at? Depending on what you've updated to will change the type of hack you want to use to install homebrew.

I don't know, I'll have to check when I get home. I pulling the "only guy in the office routine" today.

Back to Wii games I'd recommend.

Can't go wrong with Super Mario Galaxy. what's not to love?

Metroid Prime Trilogy. You said you weren't all that big into FPS, but metroid isn't your typical shooter. Action/adventure with a bit of platforming and what-not. Besides, its 3 for the price of 1.

Super Mario Strikers: Charged is a surprisingly fun soccer game. The controls aren't all that complicated to learn, but at the same time, there's a lot of strategy involved, especially with all the items.

Resident Evil 4: not exactly a first-person shooter. Its third-person over-the-shoulder. Its got decent story, and the difficulty is there, but it builds in difficulty so you don't have to dive right in. the controls really make it work. I think I got about 20 hours in the first play through of the main story, but there are also quite a few bonuses to be unlocked, including playing through sections of the game through another person's perspective which extends gameplay (because you're not repeating levels as that person, so it really is just more levels to play through). that should add several more hours to the gameplay.

My next post, I shall go back in time a bit to go through some gamecube games worth playing since wii is backwards compatible

1. RPG type games such as Neverwinter Nights. I'm a big fan of the whole hero, leveling up, kicking ass sort of thing. Please note that I do NOT want to play one of those massive online game things. I like games that have a definitive end to them. For instance, I like Warcraft 3 because you can beat the game and it's over. I do not like the idea of World of Warcraft because I feel like the line between "game" and "living an alternate life online" is blurred. So whatever you suggest, no massive online games with no end. The game can be incredibly long, but has to have an end somewhere.

The answer is simple:

Dragon Age: Origins

It's by Bioware....the same developer that made Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate.

Archived