Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time to change our defensive coaches!

genesys

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

If the Coach and GM do decide to keep him I hope they get this man the pieces to fit his scheme lol since its obvious he aint changing for no one. That sounds good though! "Let the GM decide"

So true. I was so excited to get some guys I thought would really dominate, until I realized that Blache is as flexible as a nun (no offense to nuns, but you don't look very flexible).

To my eye, it seems like Blache tends to want to 'stay the course' and is slow to adjust his schemes.

Blache looks to be sticking to the simpler package of the Williams defensive schemes that he customized in 2008 to make it easier for the players. Maybe that's a good idea for allowing the players to be more natural with the system -- but combined with Blache's tendency to minimize gambling on defense, this can also make the defense more predictable.

The Williams scheme was highlighted by being chock-full of surprises, blitzes, and he was constantly throwing in a new wrinkle. The unpredictabiliity of Williams dialing up the blitz at odd moments, or making a new shift in formation -- was one of the things that made his defensive schemes so disruptive to the opponents.

From what I've observed, Blache tends more to downplay these 'complications' and instead rely more on his players' talent superiority to win their one-on-one battles. True, he's benefited by Vinny & Co. bringing in a lot of talent for his defense, but how has he adjusted his schemes to take more advantage of the new players' core strengths? And how often does he 'surprise' you with a blitz in non-blitzing situations?

what?! which corner of ours is physical? rogers has played awful in man and zone this year. smoot has to line up 15 yards away from his guy to even have a chance. d hall is a corner who has played well in zone defenses (well, sometimes) and when forced to play man, looked terrible (See Oakland 2008).

You know I forgot that was the real reason Oakland let him go. So we have a corner in Hall who is good at zone and the other two arent any good at either man or zone. lol and Blache's hair just gets greyer and greyer as the season progress.

Avidpoet is exactly right. Think about it....Orakpo and Carter coming hard on the ends...Haynesworth hard up the middle...Corners pressing...and a young linebacker blitzing in the gap...Fletcher in the middle...Use players where their talents are. Keep it simple and let them have fun...Football psychology is not that difficult.

before the game i thought we shouldn't touch the defense, during and right after the game i thought everybody should be gone. now after thinkin about it for a couple of days, i just don't think they should be safe anymore. it's possible that we had a good scheme, but the players just didn't show up. and if that is the case, i can't see anything that any coach could've done to get them to play under these circumstances. so i would just dump everybody on D, but i would strongly consider bringing in new coaches. they have been good, but i think they can be dominant.

The decision on who stays or goes belongs to the HC and GM. Doing it inside out is how a lot of our problems came about in the first place.

Having said that, I think the coaching staff will have 100% turnover, including Buges. I love what he's done for us, but he deserves less stress than this job offers.

It is MOST frustrating to see the ****y attitude and stubborness of Greg Blache. Wasn't he the catalyst that created a rift with Lavar Arrington?

I believe your either thinking of Gregg Williams, who was our D coordinator at the time, or whoever the LB coach was (hint, not Blache).

2. Brian Orakon

Who?

Anyway, I'd prefer that Blache and Gray both get the ol' heave-ho, but that's a decision that should be left to the HC/GM.

Blache is almost certainly going to retire. He is already having panic attacks dealing with the media, he got excused from doing it the rest of the year, he already retired once before Zorn came back -- I just don't see him coming back again. I also doubt that any big name coach is going to come in and just accept a whole defensive staff.

Gray needs to be tossed out on his behind. Interviewing for Zorn's job behind his back -- I don't care how bad Zorn is -- this is something you don't do. The handling of that whole situation by the Redskins is so typically pathetic. If I were one of Gray's players, that would upset me. What kind of integrity does this guy have? I could not play for this guy.

Big thing is that the new HC should pick the defensive staff. What that staff should look like depends on the answer to the question as to why the defense does not make plays. Good defenses throw out a stinker or two but the pain of bad games can be mitigated by making a play. Our defense has not made plays consistently since 2007! We did fix our sack issue this year, maybe that means we'll fix our lack of play making ability next year.

Our lack of turnovers and sacks have gone on for far too long. Laron and Rak are our playmakers, yet we rarely put them into position to make plays, Aka turnovers. Blache's scheme can get some things done, but far too rarely will we put forth a solid 60 minute effort. Usually we come out flat and soft and give up an early score. Then we try and tighten up, but offenses know this adjust and bust a second long time consuming drive. But the end of every first quarter, our offense is cold and playing from behind. They attack Jason and the rest is history.

Other teams can play aggressive. Tight Man. Press coverage. Attacking Rookie QB's. Controlling games. Tools Blache largely refuses to use. He prefers to wait for QB's to make mistakes. The more snaps they get, the more likely they commit a mistake. That is the foundation of his bend dont break scheme. And it largely fails.

Our lack of turnovers and sacks have gone on for far too long. Laron and Rak are our playmakers, yet we rarely put them into position to make plays, Aka turnovers. Blache's scheme can get some things done, but far too rarely will we put forth a solid 60 minute effort. Usually we come out flat and soft and give up an early score. Then we try and tighten up, but offenses know this adjust and bust a second long time consuming drive. But the end of every first quarter, our offense is cold and playing from behind. They attack Jason and the rest is history.

Other teams can play aggressive. Tight Man. Press coverage. Attacking Rookie QB's. Controlling games. Tools Blache largely refuses to use. He prefers to wait for QB's to make mistakes. The more snaps they get, the more likely they commit a mistake. That is the foundation of his bend dont break scheme. And it largely fails.

I echo your sentiments.

Greg is past his prime and so are his idiotic defensive schemes. We play soft, and never ever play aggressively on defense to force turnovers, and smack the QB to the ground. The 10 yard cushion our DBs give up is ridiculous. Might as well give the other team a first down every time.

Our team does have playmakers ...

- Laron Landry

- Chris Horton

- Brian Orakpo

- Jeremy Jarmon

- London Fletcher

- De'Angelo Hall

... and the support cast of...

- Albert Haynesworth

- Chris Wilson

- Rocky McIntosh

- Rob Jackson

- Kedric Goldston

- Lorenzo Alexander

- Andre Carter

isn't all that shabby either.

I wish we played rookie DB Kevin Barnes more often. He is a physical guy, and can put some pop in his tackles.

The defense is well coached. The players on defense just fail to execute. Smoot, Carlos Rogers, and Tyron can't cover at all. LaRon Landry needs to return to the strong safety position. Orakpo isn't a LB. He's DE and should be rushing the passer in either a three or four point stands every down. As a LB, he's made solid contributions to assisting in stopping the run, but as a natural DE, Orakpo can't cover fullbacks and TEs.

I hate to break it to you... but the vast majority of what you just pointed out are signs that the defense isn't well coached.

They are also the very reason why Blache needs to go. We have way too much talent on our defense for Blache to be using these guys the way he does. That all goes back to Blache.

And yes, the next head coach should be able to choose his DC. Hopefully the next guy will have much better luck getting our talent to perform to potential.

Archived