Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time to change our defensive coaches!

genesys

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

After watching how pathetically we played against the Giants I thought it maybe worth soliciting fellow forum members opinions on whether to make defensive coach changes.

It is MOST frustrating to see the ****y attitude and stubborness of Greg Blache. Wasn't he the catalyst that created a rift with Lavar Arrington?

And, his vanilla defense is not fooling anyone. He doesn't blitz often, and refuses to infuse young talent to help the defense.

More often than not he forces talented players to play in unfamiliar positions rather than creating schemes that leverage their strengths and creating havoc for opponents.

1. Laron Landry - being used as a Free Safety is a bust! This experiment needed to stop a long time ago. He needs to play as a Strong Safety.

2. Brian Orakon - needs to be a full time DE. And, quit playing as a LB, a position that he has demonstrated time and again is not in his comfort zone.

3. Playing rookies like Kevin Barnes.

============================================================================

Against GOOD Teams we never get any pressure on the QBs.

And, then the 10-15 yard cushion is just getting ridiculous.

Our Safety play -- both FS and SS is a joke. Our LBs, other than London Fletcher are passion less and seldom make big plays.

And, it goes on and on.

Let the new HC and GM decide. If that option hadn't been there, I probably would have said fire Blache and Gray.

If the Coach and GM do decide to keep him I hope they get this man the pieces to fit his scheme lol since its obvious he aint changing for no one. That sounds good though! "Let the GM decide"

i always thought that safeties were supposed to assist the CB's in pass coverage, our safeties seem to do a lot of tackling of running backs, and i always thought that was the job of the linebackers, i actually like our safeties by the way, LL needs someone to teach him how to chase the ball not the player, that is what made ST so dangerous, he started getting to the ball first

The defense is well coached. The players on defense just fail to execute. Smoot, Carlos Rogers, and Tyron can't cover at all. LaRon Landry needs to return to the strong safety position. Orakpo isn't a LB. He's DE and should be rushing the passer in either a three or four point stands every down. As a LB, he's made solid contributions to assisting in stopping the run, but as a natural DE, Orakpo can't cover fullbacks and TEs.

Greg Blache needs to see what he's doing wrong. I'm hoping that Smoot is either cut or traded this off season and I also I hope that Carlos Rogers doesn't re-sign with the Redskins. Orakpo and Landry need to be used better than they're being used.

After watching how pathetically we played against the Giants I thought it maybe worth soliciting fellow forum members opinions on whether to make defensive coach changes.

I've been saying this both during and before the season:

http://extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=300185

http://extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=297462

I gotta disagree with the points you mention below:

More often than not he forces talented players to play in unfamiliar positions rather than creating schemes that leverage their strengths and creating havoc for opponents.

1. Laron Landry - being used as a Free Safety is a bust! This experiment needed to stop a long time ago. He needs to play as a Strong Safety.

2. Brian Orakon - needs to be a full time DE. And, quit playing as a LB, a position that he has demonstrated time and again is not in his comfort zone.

3. Playing rookies like Kevin Barnes.

Our Safety play -- both FS and SS is a joke. Our LBs, other than London Fletcher are passion less and seldom make big plays.

LaRon Landry is most certainly not a Bust and he's still both our a good FS and our best FS.

Our SS position in quality and in depth is good.

Orakpo has been better then expected at SAM/DE.

Kevin Barnes has played some but he's not being held back he just isn't better then the people in front of him yet.

Why would we play Orakpo as fulltime DE? Can he stop the run, or does he just get pushed around by the lineman? Can ya proof that he can play fulltime DE? Or do you say that people with experience in pro football and make a living of coaching players don't know a f**** about how to use Orakpo, because then we should sign you as coach or FO guy.

I think the reason we play him at OLB/DE is because he can then be effective against the run and the pass. And it gives your D# a 'suprice' factor with a great rushing OLB (only we don't use it a lot).

I agree! When was the last time we've seen a coach get into the players face when they mess up? Then you have this soft zone I dont think I ever seen the Defense play man coverage our corners are physical use them to their abilities.

what?! which corner of ours is physical? rogers has played awful in man and zone this year. smoot has to line up 15 yards away from his guy to even have a chance. d hall is a corner who has played well in zone defenses (well, sometimes) and when forced to play man, looked terrible (See Oakland 2008). i don't think any of our corners are physical enough to match up in man. i think the reason we were so succesful when gregg williams was here is because we had ST and Sean Springs. Springs (when healthy) was a dominant man cover corner. Gregg blitzed from everywhere and left the corners on islands a lot of the time. but he had guys who could make plays. we don't have the personnel to do that now.

and as far as playing rookies (like kevin barnes as mentioned earlier), what choice does he have? that's all we've got. hall was hurt, guys get tired/hurt during games. young unproven guys like tryon, westbrook and barnes are the depth.

i don't like the defense this year. i think it's a bend, don't break defense and that's perfectly fine if you have the guys who can make key stops to prevent the 'break' part. we don't. fletcher has looked great this year. other guys have had pretty good years as individuals, but the defense as a whole has looked sluggish, out of sync and undisciplined. i think when the new hc comes in, he should clean house with the coaching staff. the entire coaching staff.. offense and defense. let him bring in his guys, unlike zorn - who was forced to work with guys already in place (except i think stump).

that's my 2 cents worth.

I agree, it is time to change the defensive coaching staff for one reason.

They have failed to evolve.

Look at what Dick LeBeau has done in Pittsburgh. Do you think he going anywhere anytime soon? Because from season to season, game to game, he evolves. His defense maximizes the talents of this players and his players compliment his scheme.

We want to run a 4-3. That's great, then get the right personnel to run effectively. We actually have some great defensive players, we just need to use them right.

I remember a third and about 8 play on Monday night. We had one of our corners about 15 yards off in the upper right corner of the screen. I was like "That receiver is obviously gonna make the first down catch." Yep, caught it, first down Giants.

Just painfully and predictably bad. It's the same crap from the offense/defense that we've seen for 5 years.

Archived