Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:Alabama Democrat to switch parties

SkinsHokieFan

The first of the blue dogs?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/house/alabama-democrat-to-switch-par.html?hpid=topnews

Alabama Democrat to switch parties

Alabama Democratic Rep. Parker Griffith will switch to the Republican party later today, according to a source familiar with the decision.

A freshman Democrat, Griffith was elected to the 5th district in 2008 to replace retiring Democratic Rep. Bud Cramer. He won with 51 percent despite the fact that President Barack Obama took just 38 percent of the vote in the north Alabama district. The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee dropped more than $1 million in independent expenditures to keep the seat.

"Democrats of every stripe and philosophy sweated and bled for this man," said Alabama Democratic Party Chairman Joe Turnham of Griffith. "He narrowly became a Congressman through the hard work, votes and financial contributions of thousands of Democrats. Today, they feel betrayed."

DCCC Chairman Chris Van Hollen (Md.) took it a step further, citing Griffith's "duty and responsibility" to return all contributions made to him by Democratic Members of Congress.

Griffith had voiced his frustration with party leaders several times and had made clear he wouldn't back House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.). "I would not vote for her," Griffith told a constituent at a town hall meeting in August. "Someone that divisive and that polarizing cannot bring us together."

We had a member of the Texas House switches parties about a month ago. It was a huge deal as Democrats were only 2 seats away from a majority.

This is not strange or surprising.

Last election cycle we had a Texas House member switch from Republican to Democratic to get on the Obama wave.

There will probably be 1 more on a national level. But nothing crazy.

i mean ... i don't follow politics as closely as I should but what is the big deal? You should vote for someone based on the policies they want and their stances not on whether they are a D or R or I.

I am guessing he probably leaned Republican in his stances so his people should've known that when they voted for him so a name change isn't a big deal.

I guess I wish people worried more about their stances then their political party affiliation.

We had a member of the Texas House switches parties about a month ago. It was a huge deal as Democrats were only 2 seats away from a majority.

This is not strange or surprising.

Last election cycle we had a Texas House member switch from Republican to Democratic to get on the Obama wave.

There will probably be 1 more on a national level. But nothing crazy.

Not surprised.

Without an electoral shift, Texas will probably be a blue state in 2020.

"Democrats of every stripe and philosophy sweated and bled for this man," said Alabama Democratic Party Chairman Joe Turnham of Griffith. "He narrowly became a Congressman through the hard work, votes and financial contributions of thousands of Democrats. Today, they feel betrayed."

:cry:

Without an electoral shift, Texas will probably be a blue state in 2020.

Not if the Dems keep shooting themselves in the foot.:silly:

There are some seriously pissed off people here.

As far as candidates switching,I prefer they do it in advance of elections,but don't really care

Southern Democrats can be weird. There are still pockets of Roosevelt democrats that will never, ever vote republican. Except for president. They tie defense and abortion to the president for some reason, but their representatives are democrats. My grandfather, aunts and uncles pull the Dem. lever every time, but they're dying off. When big emotional decisions come up like the health care thing, you see a swell in political participation in people that aren't tied to the historical phenomenon.

Politicians just take the temperature and adjust accordingly.

The article says his district only voted 38% for Obama. Sounds like his district already is Republican.

:secret:Members of the House are elected every 2 years.

(Just yankin your chain.) :)

And he was elected in 08 I believe:pokeye:

Simply positioning for reelection imo,a number of "Democrats" ran here on conservative platforms that Pelosi and co have made uncomfortable fits and will be hard to justify back home.

As they say...Talk is cheap,and results matter.

Archived